MacworldExpo over. A return to smaller MacFairs?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by MacTraveller, Jan 6, 2009.

1. MacTraveller macrumors regular

I think Adam Engst was right. He was right to say it in his article... an article written in 1997!!! Excerpts from the 1997 article link below:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/2185

Macworld Expo Overload -- Macworld Expos are no longer as necessary for learning about new products, in large part because the Internet has improved communications about those new products. It's occasionally useful to see a demo, but I can generally learn more in 15 minutes on my own than by watching a typical hour-long demonstration. The conferences at Macworld Expos can be worthwhile, but, since speakers aren't paid, the quality ranges widely. And, let's face it, Macworld Expos are incredibly draining.

Recently, Tonya and I have attended and spoken at two relatively small Macintosh fairs, BMUG's one-day MacFest in Berkeley and LAMG's two-day MacFair in Los Angeles. Both have been around for a number of years, and both were obviously extremely popular, given the crowds (BMUG's MacFest hit 7,500 in attendance). Afterwards, we found ourselves comparing them favorably to the full-bore Macworld Expos in San Francisco and Boston.

The Small Fair Solution -- For those purposes, smaller regional Macintosh fairs turn out to be just the ticket. The show floors occupy the space of a large hotel ballroom, not the dual halls of San Francisco's Moscone Center. It keeps the cost down and lets everyone focus on products instead of stage shows.

Better yet, the booths [of the local Mac Fairs] are often staffed by people who know something, another pleasant change from the well-groomed, yet frequently clueless marketing denizens of Macworld Expos.

Another nice aspect of the small user group fairs that we attended was that they were inexpensive, not just for vendors, but also for attendees.

I don't want to imply that the huge Macworld Expos don't have their place. Bringing together tens of thousands of Macintosh users and hundreds of vendors is useful. The big shows help vendors meet distributors outside the U.S., network with other developers, and get in front of the press (although I think the traditional press would appreciate the smaller fairs if complaints from fellow journalists are any indication). However, a short, sweet, small Mac fair can be a breath of fresh air. As Colleen Miller said, "Accessibility, cost, and a general feeling of camaraderie make the smaller events much better."

/END ARTICLE EXCERPTS

IMHO, Adam was right. And he wrote this back in 1997. Most of the points he stated in the 1997 article are the exact reasons why Apple is pulling out of Macworld Expo. It's too draining. It's too costly. And the average Mac user can be educated and get demos from the same products on a more "local" basis .... be it the local Apple Retail Store, or a regional Mac Fair.

Sadly.... I have not seen any news about local/regional Mac Fairs since the late 1990s. Have they become extinct? And now that Macworld Expo is gone, would the local Mac Fairs be successful if they tried to make a comeback?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440