Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Resolved MacX video converter and a G5

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Trying to convert some .mts files. I can play them in VLC, but cant mux them into anything useful. ffmpegx mux the video into a grey screen. macX both the mp4 and the mov converter launch a finder window when i start the mux.

Running leo, 4GB ram. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Is there a PowerPc software for rewrapping mts under 10.4, too? I would prefer one without touching the file else, I mean like just putting it to a mpeg4/mpeg2 without changing bitrate etc.

Comment

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Is there a PowerPc software for rewrapping mts, too? I would prefer one without touching the file else, I mean like just putting it to a mpeg4/mpeg2 without changing bitrate etc.

I just followed the guide he linked to, everything is running right now. I need to convert a bunch of mpg files as well fr their use in FCE4.

Comment

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
OK, thanks! I was too hasty. I saw under the download "see other download options" that it is for 10.4. I will give it a try later, hoping I do not get the problems, that seem to appear in the other thread.

Comment

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Hm, seems I wasn't to hasty, though in the end. I finally tried it and though "clipgrab" is for 10.4 PPC, "rerapp" needs 10.5.
It seems the more I deal with video stuff, I have to switch to 10.5. So I will dig out my 10.5 HDD and stick it in my G4.

Comment

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I borrowed a Quad 2.5Ghz G5 for this project. Everything project-wise went smoothly.

Comment

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I am crossposting, since the guide is in the Intel section and ZekeD said it would work on a PowerPC (hope he didn't actually have a Quad Mac Pro and mistook it for a PowerMac G5 Quad).

Sorry, for bringing this up again, after so long time.

I did try it then and it didn't work (under 10.4.), ok I was stupid. Now having 10.5 running, the Apps work, but problems already start with creating the m4v file with the automator.

I get a 0kb file. It gets an iMovie-icon.
When I open it in Mpegstreamclip, it says the file is to small.

Btw. another question. As I understand it, the step-by-step instruction on page1 alters the file size, is that right? I actually just want to keep the quality and just make it readable on my Mac and outside the mediaplayer hooked up to the TV.

(Another test: if I double click, it says I need a newer version of QT (7.5.5). I don't know why "software-update" has not updated it (it is 7.2.2), but I then moved QT 7.6.2 from my other Mac to it. Did not work.)

Comment

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I am crossposting, since the guide is in the Intel section and ZekeD said it would work on a PowerPC (hope he didn't actually have a Quad Mac Pro and mistook it for a PowerMac G5 Quad).

Most of his posts are here, so it probably is a Quad.

(Another test: if I double click, it says I need a newer version of QT (7.5.5). I don't know why "software-update" has not updated it (it is 7.2.2), but I then moved QT 7.6.2 from my other Mac to it. Did not work.)

You will need to use the installer.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.