Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest Black Friday deal has gone live today, and this time it's for the Apple Watch Series 1, which debuted alongside the Series 2 in September 2016. The Series 1 models lack the advancements of 2017's Series 3 -- like LTE and a faster processor -- but the older Apple Watch is still a reliable device, and now with a cheaper entry price over at Macy's, it makes for a great holiday gift.

The retailer has the Apple Watch Series 1 discounted by $70 beginning today, with 38mm models running for $179.00 and 42mm models priced at $209.00. In terms of overall Black Friday deals, we know that Target will match this $70 off Series 1 deal beginning tomorrow when sales there go live. So if you're looking to get some shopping done a little early, Macy's offer is the first notable Apple Watch Series 1 deal happening this holiday season.

macys-series-1-sale.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with LivingSocial. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Here's every Apple Watch Series 1 device available in Macy's sale:
[*]38mm Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band - $179.00, down from $249.00
[*]38mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band - $179.00, down from $249.00
[*]38mm Gold Aluminum Case with Midnight Blue Sport Band - $179.00, down from $249.00
[*]42mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band - $209.00, down from $279.00
[*]42mm Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band - $209.00, down from $279.00
[*]42mm Rose Gold Aluminum Case with Pink Sand Sport Band - $209.00, down from $279.00
[*]42mm Gold Aluminum Case with Midnight Blue Sport Band - $209.00, down from $279.00
As a point of comparison, the new non-LTE Apple Watch Series 3 models are priced at $329 (38mm) and $359 (42mm). Sales on Series 2 models have been appearing frequently throughout the fall, with the most recent dropping 38mm cases to $229 and 42mmm cases to $259. Until Black Friday sales, no notable deals had yet to arrive for the Series 1 devices following the launch of Series 3 in September.

If you purchase the Series 1, be aware that in comparison to higher-cost versions it has a slower S1P processor, lower water resistance (so it is not suitable for swimming), a display that doesn't get as bright, slightly lower battery life, and no LTE or GPS support. Otherwise, you'll be able to access all of the expected Apple Watch features like activity tracking, notification and phone call support with a connected iPhone, and more.

Also of note is an Apple Music deal going on at LivingSocial, where you can get a four month subscription to Apple's streaming music service for free. This deal essentially adds one extra month (priced at $9.99/month) onto Apple Music's existing three month free trial, and is only available to new subscribers signing up for an individual membership plan.

As always, you can visit our Black Friday Roundup to keep track of the latest deals going on heading into Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Some sales will begin going online a bit early today, but the bulk will see activation when retailers first open their doors tomorrow night between 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. local time.

Article Link: Macy's Launches Apple Watch Series 1 Black Friday Discount: 38mm for $180 and 42mm for $210

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Is there a noticeable speed difference between series 0 and series 1? My series 0 is really slow and I'm curious if I'll be able to notice a significant improvement.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Is there a noticeable speed difference between series 0 and series 1? My series 0 is really slow and I'm curious if I'll be able to notice a significant improvement.

It's noticeable. Whether it's worth the cost of upgrade is a bigger question. The series 3 (cellular or not) packs in even more speed with a lot of other features, so if I were you I might wait for some year-end deals on that. But my series 1 is still going strong and I have no complaints about the speed at all.

Reactions: viperGTS

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Value and tech will intersect pretty nicely next year with the Series 3. It will have a years worth of updates and a sale price that reflects retailers wanting to move inventory to make room for the Series 4.

Exactly. I have the S2 right now, it runs a little choppy but it works. Now that Apple are accelerating the release of watches faster than I anticipated it only works in yours and my favour all the more.

PS I love your avatar!

Reactions: 69Mustang

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
It's kind of crazy that I paid $230 for my 42mm Series 1 back in February from Target, so discounted sale prices have only come down $20 in 9.5 months, and a whole new series has been released since then.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Yes. It's not drastic, however load times, WatchOS updates and navigating the Apple Watch menu's make a difference. I believe Series 1 will see at least two more years of updates.

Reactions: viperGTS

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
It's kind of crazy that I paid $230 for my 42mm Series 1 back in February from Target, so discounted sale prices have only come down $20 in 9.5 months, and a whole new series has been released since then.

What's even worse are the places with their remaining series 2 watches being sold at a pitiful $30 difference from a series 3.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
The series 2 is fine, except when it comes to the workout app - which is the one app where speed would be crucial. It's SO laggy, especially when dealing with music via bluetooth headphones, it's killing me every time I go running and try to skip a song..

Reactions: pnoyblazed

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Any discounts can combine with sale prices? What about any cash back offers with cards?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I am getting one of these for Christmas, I got it from a refurb store earlier this year, fantastic condition too, I tested it all worked and it’s one awesome lil device, reminds me of the iPod Nano, still got my 3rd gen one. One of Apple better devices I think.

I’m not sure weather to buy a case for it or not? I can be clumsy so may be worth it.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I don’t get it. $100 more and you get a non-LTE series 3 with GPS, brighter screen, better water resistance, 2 generations better processor, and a couple more years of being able to keep up with OS updates.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Value and tech will intersect pretty nicely next year with the Series 3. It will have a years worth of updates and a sale price that reflects retailers wanting to move inventory to make room for the Series 4.

Actually, retailers wanting to move inventory has nothing to do with Series 4. The reality is they have zero indication if Apple will or will not release a new Watch. Retailers hosting annual sales for an Apple Watch is nothing more than liquidating current stock or older tech for the sake of end of year sales. Even if a Series 4 doesn't launch in 2018, retailers will still discount the same sales, perhaps just with a different model. They don't care about any unannounced future Apple Watch models, they want numbers in sales and customer base. Period.

Last edited:

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
[doublepost=1511403601][/doublepost]I paid only $200 for the series 1 38mm on Black Friday of last year from Target. Free shipping included.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don’t get it. $100 more and you get a non-LTE series 3 with GPS, brighter screen, better water resistance, 2 generations better processor, and a couple more years of being able to keep up with OS updates.

Maybe some people do not want to get GPS or spend the extra $100? I want an Apple Watch for the most affordable price, not the premiums. I always taking my iPhone with me, so I won't need a GPS. Plus I do not need a talking Siri, the fastest processor, and The AW Series 1 should see about another Watch OS or 2. Plus, the 2017 watch could be in the same discussion in 2018 or 2019.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

My thoughts as well. But I also asume Series 4 might see a redesign as performance and other features such as better CPU, waterproof or LTE were already introduced. So getting a Series 3 than while a new design or slightly streamlined one might be introduced could be painful.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.