Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macy's is set to become the first major department store in the U.S. to offer the Apple Watch, reports Fortune. Starting before the holiday shopping rush, Macy's will begin offering the Apple Watch at more than 180 stores across the United States.

"It will be in all of our top buildings for the holiday season," said Macy's president and future CEO Jeff Gennette. In addition to offering the Apple Watch in many of its retail locations, Macy's also plans to open a dedicated Apple Store inside of its flagship Herald Square location in New York, which will sell a variety of Apple products including iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and Apple Watches.

apple-watch-series-2-2-800x395.jpg

Since its April 2015 debut, the Apple Watch has become available for purchase from many major third-party retailers around the world. In the United States, the Apple Watch can be purchased from stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and B&H Photo, making it easy to walk into any local brick and mortar store to pick up one of Apple's wearable devices.

Last year, steep holiday discounts on the Apple Watch from retailers like Best Buy and Target helped spur its popularity. Apple has never divulged sales numbers for the Apple Watch, but market research suggests it is by far the most popular smart watch on the market.

Apple this week introduced its second-generation Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Series 2. The new devices feature a much faster S2 processor, better waterproofing, a GPS chip, and a brighter display. Apple also introduced Series 2 Apple Watches created in collaboration with Nike and Hermès, along with a new high-end ceramic material. The Series 1 Apple Watch, which features a lower price tag, was upgraded with the S2 processor but none of the other new features.

Macy's and other Apple Watch retailers will offer the new Series 1 and Series 2 models in stores as soon as they are available. Apple Watch Series 2 goes on sale on September 16, with pre-orders starting on September 9.

Article Link: Macy's Department Store to Start Selling Apple Watch

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I don't get the hate for this. It's clear they're targeting an older demo by selling the Watch @ Macy's.

ianKent

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
I think that was their point.
Dinosaurs are not as efficient as Macys is.

Dinosaurs don't have Gucci and Louis Vuitton mini-shops inside their stores. Macy's at Herald Square does.

Dinosaurs don't spend $0.4B on one store to "refresh" it. Macy's at Herald Square did.

Reactions: ronntaylor

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Dinosaurs are not as efficient as Macys is.

Dinosaurs don't have Gucci and Louis Vuitton mini-shops inside their stores. Macy's at Herald Square does.

Dinosaurs don't spend $0.4B on one store to "refresh" it. Macy's at Herald Square did.

Yes. Those are very fresh brands. They jive well with millennials.

Reactions: dan110

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
I am glad to see that I live within 15 minutes of a Macy's. If you are on the northern 2/3rd of Michigan Like I am The closest Apple Store is over 2 hours away or more.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Macy's doesn't shock me it will be carrying the Apple Watch. They carry a lot of high end Watches.

MacWanker

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Macys often have massive sales, and for those of us stateside with foreign ID, you can get the discount card which wipes out the tax...

Of course, I expect that all apple products will be excluded from mega sales, but we can hope!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.