Mad Men: The Final Season (AMC) Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, May 4, 2014.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Here's the Mad Men season 7 discussion thread. Beware of spoilers.

I love the role reversal of Don and Peggy, and I share the general discomfort Don has. This episode finally gets Roger some valuable screen time.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

(Major spoilers follow...)

I'll get long winded, since Mad Men is one of only a few TV show I care enough about to watch. I really enjoy the way the series covers the history, the consumer products, the fashion, and in general the feel of the "future shock" era, all while weaving an entertaining tale that involves rather flawed but never-the-less interesting characters. Over the years, the series has fleshed-out the characters very well, and yet this season the character cards have been reshuffled a bit.

It's been a rough season for Peggy so far... In the 4th episode, the good news is she that she gets a $100 a week -- the equivalent of about $2800 a month, today -- not a bad chunk of change! But the bad news is that she gets to ride herd on Don, since Lou doesn't want to. The long sage advice Lou offers is "You’re in charge, sweetheart!" I got the feeling this isn't exactly the rosy future Peggy envisioned when she briefly reveled in Don's chair at the end of last season.

Poor Peggy. How long before she totally flips out and pushes Don down the elevator shaft, when the door malfunctions? Or will Don end in jail for killing a passerby on the street with an Selectric typewriter he tosses out the window?

Meanwhile, the creatives don't seem to be faring so well this season. Now, they've lost their lounge to a machine -- a cold and calculating computer -- and Rizzo and Ginsberg are now seemly stuck with a couch that's "full of farts" for all time.

Don gets totally meta while talking to Lloyd, the guy who just sold the firm their computer, about the man vs. machine angle and the whole "cosmic disturbance" qualities and the "god like" nature of the monolith, err... I mean the computer. I braced myself, expecting Roger to bust in and start singing "The Ballad of John Henry" at any moment, But luckily, Roger got involved in his own struggle before that could happen.

Don's 2nd verbal encounter with Lloyd seemed to be a prelude to Don starting to fire on all 8-cylinders again, by landing the firm a new "virgin" ad client. But then Don's new prospect (as well as Don himself) got shot down in flames by venerable ol' Burt. Has Bert put 2 and 2 together about some of the dark details of Don's past, or is he just at the point in life where he's tired of dealing with problems, in general? Or does he just enjoy setting Don up so he'll win Don's shares of the firm?

After falling off the ladder and getting drunker than a college freshman Don and (rotary) drunk dialing Freddie (one of the only friend he has left), Don takes goes into another mini-meltdown travels to a surreal level with Lloyd, the guy that "talks like a friend" (but he's not!) Huh? What? The man that goes "by many names"? Does Don see Lloyd as the devil? Or was that bottle Don swiped from Roger laced with peyote? Don isn't quite as the point where's he's wearing a sign that read "The End is Near!" but he seems to be getting closer to that point!

Roger's "field trip" with ex-wife #1, was entertaining as well. His "do as I say, not as I do" way of dealing with his daughter didn't seem to work out too well. Will Roger and Don compare notes about daughters sometime in the near future at an "off campus" location? And will Roger to able to get his grove back?

The episode seemed to have been a foreshadowing of hope for Don sometime in the future, in the form of the Mets pennant, since 1969 was the year the Mets won a division title, a pennant, and the World Series.

Bert might feel little changed when Don left, but you'd think he would have felt "a strange disturbance in the force". Now, no one seems to really be in charge. Pete and Ted are exiled in L.A. Bert takes the course of least resistance. Roger 2.0 seems to be winding down to a fraction of his formerly enlighten self. Peggy tries hard, but only seems to be able ending up as a big-eyed, sad office clown, that's constantly the butt of everyone's jokes. Lou main weapons seems to be either passive aggression or whining to Jim. Joan and Harry seem to about the only real contenders left in the battle for power, along of course with Jim. But then there's the wild card we haven't heard from in a while, Bob Benson (who seems likely to go with the side he thinks will win).

Finishing up with the Hollies’s "On a Carousel" playing us out to the credits seemed appropriate, perhaps on many levels...

3. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That's quite interesting to me, as well. reminds me of Season 6 part 1 of Sopranos, where Tony and the rest of the main characters (except Vito) are finding some redemption, before part 2 where everything goes to hell.

That is my assumption here, because everyone keeps referring to the "Fall of Don Draper" (I was going to name the thread this at first) as a given.

4. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

The Mets pennant was such a poignant piece, pointing to both a past of complete failure (Lane's suicide) and a bright future (the Mets won the World Series in 1969, beating the heavily favored Orioles).

I expect Freddie's tough love ("Do the work, Don!") will have the desired long-term effect. I hope Don does manage to displace the colossal bore Lou, but he doesn't seem to have many allies left at SC&P. Still seems likely he'll go start his own agency with some of the other dissatisfied folks still around, such as Pete Campbell and the creatives.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Seems like spoilers from the get go, so not even going to bother to hide it ;).

I thought this season started out a bit slow and now I'm wondering what they're going to do with the time they have. It seems like a lot of work to have Don become revitalized to either save the firm or start his own. It would seem easier to have him crash and burn, alluding to the falling man in the opening credits for the past half decade or so, but perhaps too easy for the writers.

However, I totally forgot they split this season into two half seasons over two years. How freakin' stupid. Bah humbug.

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Talk about stretching it out. I'm wondering whether or not I should just stop watching now, avoid spoilers then binge on them next year.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Really excited to see Don get back into the advertisement act, thats what I actually liked about the first couple seasons.

8. localoid, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I think Don could control the partners meetings fairly easily, if he sets his mind to it. His creative ideas are almost always sound and so are most of his business idea, plus he knows how to sell an idea. I think Pete and Roger would go along with him on most any motion he might propose, and I really think Ted would take his side on some of them, even if Jim opposed it.

But of course, Pete and Ted are kind of out of the loop, in L.A. Perhaps Don will press the issue of finding a way that would allow Pete and Ted to actually vote in real time, rather than by proxy. A motion to buy a new conference call box, perhaps? :eek:

But then, Don is already in violation of his agreement re:drinking, so I expect that threat will loom over him, in at least one future episode.

9. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I thought that, at first. However, I realize my favorite season was 6, which is really his downfall. Reminds me of the Wire, where the only season where they really don't use the wire is my favorite (Season 4).

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Agency seems totally leaderless right now.

Roger barely shows up between orgies. Bert is off in his own little world. Ted's in California. That Cutler guy is a corporate weasel par excellence. Joan might be a partner, but lacks the confidence and creativity.

And lower down things get worse: Lou Avery couldn't sell his way out of a wet paper bag. Peggy seems to be taking bitchy pills.

In other words, there is a dreadful leadership vacuum. What I can't understand is why Don consented to come back under the terms he did. I wouldn't have, in his position: Either demand his partners buy him out, or tear up the non-compete so he can go and work across the street. Don isn't stupid, and I can't believe this entire season is him doing some sort of self-imposed penance.

I'm not sure how believable I find Peggy's treatment of Don. If my former boss and mentor - literally the person who plucked her out of the typing pool and gave her her first creative gig - came back, I think I'd treat them with a little more respect. Then again, I'm not a woman, and I've heard they like to carry grudges.

11. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed. Especially after turning down the prospect of a tech company.

SC&P is just useless at this point. Don is their biggest asset for better or for worse.

He's absolutely terrible. Peggy thought Don was bad, try this idiot. I have never been a Peggy fan, but she is getting worse, too.

It really is mind blowing he came back. He would be extremely well compensated for his share (Sterling made it sound like they would need to pay him through the early 70s) and might as well just work somewhere else. Get a lawyer to break the non-compete clause.

Yeah, she treats him like crap, and it's not particularly believable.

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

What's with the dynamic between Betts and her son? He seems to be oblivious to consequences and she's as cold as ice.

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

14. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I didn't exactly get that episode.

Miss.

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Peggy is pissing me off and quickly becoming a character that I don't like. Roger seems to have no reason or desire to work and seems to just be drinking and screwing all the time. However, I do like that he sticks up for Don, he understands that Don got them to where they are.

As for Don, I think he accepted those work limitations so easily because he thought that once he's actually inside that he could transition back to his old role. Being forced to write taglines and to "do the work" has shown him that whatever plan he may have had will take a while to execute. However, I now have no idea what he may be up to now that the tobacco situation has arisen.

Lou is a joke though and needs to go.

Also screw amc for splitting the season into two parts. I've always hated these "summer finales" and was hoping Mad Men would end without that nonsense.

16. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

"The best things in life are freeeee!"

Why do they make us wait a WHOLE YEAR now?

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Meredith cracks me up! :D

Attached Files:

18. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Not digging this stupid splitting up the season over 2 years thing. Frustrating for hardcore fans, doesn't seem to bother the casual watcher.

19. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Seriously, it's so frustrating. End the show.

20. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

so have all the episodes for this half of the season come out yet? I'm currently mid way through season 6 and this show has become one of my favorites. I'm really enjoying Don's decline.

21. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Correct...no more until 2015.

22. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

My wife and I just netflix binged and watched seasons 1-6. We are totally hooked. Just bought season 7 on netflix and started watching, really enjoying the rise and falls of Don. Also feel that the agency is on the downhill, I think its time for Don to cut ties with them and move to Cali and open his own agency.

Can't stand how AMC split this up over 2 years....