Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The only Mac that I have had problems with WiFi connecting after long idles was my 2011 iMac. Turns out it was a defective WiFi chipset. They replaced the Airport card and the issue never returned. I have over a dozen different Macs in my household in the last 5 years. That was the only one that experienced the issue and its been resolved.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
it's not just the 2016 MBP.
Thinking Sierra, cause my 2015 15" MBP has been doing that all week. Good news is that wifi off/on reconnects super quick.

My old iMac 2 feet away... no loss. Not on Sierra, PC and old MBP not effected either.

It's an ongoing issue with Apple for sure. My iMac did it ALL the time after upgrading it years ago, Lion I think. Came back again after another OS update, and now back again. Every time it's happened, an update has always resolved it.

This is a software not hardware issue. Again.

cdodge03

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
I have had some weird wifi issues with it as well. seems random but definitely related to an issue when it comes out of sleep. It isn't as bad as the 2012 mbr though.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Did you ever think maybe it's your network?
Apple MBP
Apple Airport

One way or the other, it's SOFTWARE on Apple's end. This has been an ongoing issue with Apple for years, always shows up after an update of some sort, always goes away after another update.

Explain how it's the network, when the only thing that has changed is a software update from when it was working perfectly? (and the only ones affected are Macs, router bias?)

Go ahead and do a little searching, I'm looking at he "similar Threads" below while i'm posting this and it's all the same, WiFi issues just won't die.

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Apple MBP
Apple Airport

One way or the other, it's SOFTWARE on Apple's end. This has been an ongoing issue with Apple for years, always shows up after an update of some sort, always goes away after another update.

Explain how it's the network, when the only thing that has changed is a software update from when it was working perfectly? (and the only ones affected are Macs, router bias?)

Go ahead and do a little searching, I'm looking at he "similar Threads" below while i'm posting this and it's all the same, WiFi issues just won't die.

Well my explaination would be that I don't have the problems but all your computers do. I don't think it's possible all your Macs are defective. I'm just saying something must be going on because some long term mac users myself included have not experienced this bug ever. If it was a problem with the software I would think the issue would be more widespread or even everyone would have the issue.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I'm pretty sure it's an interference of some sort in your house and could be solved by switching channels/frequencies.

I've never experienced such an issue with any of my Macs, including the late 2016 15" MBP. As we speak, my MBP is backing up to my Synology NAS over Wifi and transferring data at about 600 Mbit/s.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Again.... HOW does an update ON ONE MAC make some interference and cause WiFi to screw up?

Follow the thread.... ONE of my macs has the issue, the ONE with Sierra. My MBP with El Cap, my PC, ZERO ISSUES.

Wait, it must be the Sierra mac causing the interference. :rolleyes:

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if this is an internet service providers issue. Because tons of people do not have this problem and then there's these rare few that claim to have changed out routers and experienced this with different year models and different macOS, seems like it's probably not an Apple issue.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I've owned the 2011 Macbook Pro and a late 2013 15 inch Macbook Pro. Plus a 13 inch that I can't remember exactly which. Few, if any wifi issues.

So. . .not so famous a bug as nobody, at least here, has heard of this bug until now. Sounds like something unique to your situation. Hardware you haved, interference patterns or even software you've always installed over the years causing a problem.

Reactions: twennywonn

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
I've owned the 2011 Macbook Pro and a late 2013 15 inch Macbook Pro. Plus a 13 inch that I can't remember exactly which. Few, if any wifi issues.

So. . .not so famous a bug as nobody, at least here, has heard of this bug until now. Sounds like something unique to your situation. Hardware you haved, interference patterns or even software you've always installed over the years causing a problem.

And the multiple related threads on the topic dating back to at least 2011 that I SEE below this thread, must be your router interfering with you seeing that... or blocking your access to a search engine to provide you any ability to do any research.

Hey look!!! Wifi dropouts on LEOPARD.
The issue keeps coming back, so it must be the router right?

http://gizmodo.com/346122/question-of-the-day-leopard-causing-wi-fi-dropouts

(Read apples patch notes some time..)

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well that's patently not true considering nine other posters on this thread have also experienced it.

Look, a few threads and even hundreds of people who have experienced it on here does not mean that this is "the most infamous WiFi bug."

I've seen and even read over some of the threads here. I just haven't run into these issues in my personal or professional experience(I volunteer at the local school district and help maintain the iMacs in the computer labs and the MacBook Airs on the computer carts).

I just don't think this bug is widespread at all, or maybe caused by network congestion or some other environmental factor that just isn't present everywhere.

Reactions: Rafterman

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Cause if YOU don't have the issue... it doesn't exist. Got it.

Again, go read apples patch notes and tell me that it doesn't exist. If Apple addresses wifi connection issues in a patch.... it didn't exist right? It was apple patching a netgear router right?

Here read this article.
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/11/18/apple-ships-x-10-10-1-does-it-fix-those-wi-fi-problems/

Why did apple address wifi connectivity if it didn't exist?
What's happening now is not as bad as it was here, but still connectivity issues.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Again, go read apples patch notes and tell me that it doesn't exist. If Apple addresses wifi connection issues in a patch.... it didn't exist right? It was apple patching a netgear router right?

Here read this article.
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/11/18/apple-ships-x-10-10-1-does-it-fix-those-wi-fi-problems/

What's happening now is not as bad as it was here, but still connectivity issues.

What if hundreds of computers you've worked with over the years didn't have it?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I can only guess you're replying to me?

I'll just quote myself since you, apparently, couldn't read my post.

I just don't think this bug is widespread at all, or maybe caused by network congestion or some other environmental factor that just isn't present everywhere.

Now, did I say the issue doesn't exist? No, I didn't.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Then it doesn't exist, everyone is just making false claims about wifi then.

Apple is just patching wifi issues for no reason. And the same issue keeps popping up cause people want to bash apple.

You don't have cancer so it doesn't exist right? same with the wifi issue, you never had to deal with it so everyone else is lying about it. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1480525520][/doublepost]
I can only guess you're replying to me?

I'll just quote myself since you, apparently, couldn't read my post.

Now, did I say the issue doesn't exist? No, I didn't.
No I was actually adding to my earlier post about the guy above, and you posted before I hit post.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm pretty sure it's an interference of some sort in your house and could be solved by switching channels/frequencies.

I've never experienced such an issue with any of my Macs, including the late 2016 15" MBP. As we speak, my MBP is backing up to my Synology NAS over Wifi and transferring data at about 600 Mbit/s.

Are you talking about Time Machine Backup? If so, I would love to know how you are getting that performance. I can see that drag and dropping files to my NAS, but never with Time Machine.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Look, a few threads and even hundreds of people who have experienced it on here does not mean that this is "the most infamous WiFi bug."

I've seen and even read over some of the threads here. I just haven't run into these issues in my personal or professional experience(I volunteer at the local school district and help maintain the iMacs in the computer labs and the MacBook Airs on the computer carts).

I was responding to the poster that claimed 'nobody...has heard of this bug'. It's a supercilious statement directly contradicted by a number of other contributors saying they have experienced it.

I haven't used the language 'the most infamous WiFi bug', but considering it's the only WiFi bug that I have seen oft repeated then it probably does make it the most infamous.

Do I think it's wide spread? No. But the OP never made that claim either, just that they have been unfortunate enough to have to deal with it multiple times over the years.

Last edited:

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room

Here read this article.

Speaking for myself, ok that's fair. It's just that the title of the thread implied this was a major, widespread issue. I'm sure it's major for those that have this "bug", but to most of us who were unawares, it sounded like alarmism. I will let y'all commiserate and troubleshoot without any interference from me at least. I know, generous. I wish sincere good luck with the issue fellas (and gals). I know how it can be to deal with a non-widespread issue (slow fixes). But seeing that this hasn't been fixed once and for all in years, I wish you extra luck.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
The one time I ever had Wifi issues was early last year. Same symptoms. Turned out to be the modem my ISP uses. It's a modem that includes a built in router and wifi gateway.

Anyway, both Windows 10 and El Capitan were having connectivity issues since I upgraded things to those releases. I upgraded the OS X devices first. Figured it was a problem with the Macs. Tried everything. Gave up. Upgraded a PC to Windows 10. Had the same problem. Tried more stuff. Nothing fixed. In a last, desperate act, I contacted my ISP and had them put my modem/router into bridged mode. *poof* Problem was solved.

I'n not saying it was the OS X and Windows updates that caused my problem. It's quite possible that my ISP pushed out a firmware update to my modem at roughly the same time I upgraded the first OS X device. But, since I tried everything else that I could try, the only thing left for me to do was remove the one device remaining from the equation (or at least reduce the technological footprint.) A device over witch I did not have complete control. My cable modem. So, that's why I contacted my ISP.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
As for the title of the thread by the OP, it is correct.

It's infamous because Apple keeps having it. They fix it, and then break it again in another patch. Look at just the links I posted, it's been an issue dating back to at least leopard...

Yeah isps can be at fault also, but when APPLE releases a patch that specifically mentions fixing a wifi issue.. it's not the isp.

Not sure about MR since I rarely even posted/read here until recently, but another mac site I was at every time a wifi issue comes up the site posts ALL the previous wifi issue threads in the first post on the new issue so everyone sees that it's NOT an isolated incident.

I just thought everyone here knew the ongoing problem with Apple and wifi.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Are you talking about Time Machine Backup? If so, I would love to know how you are getting that performance. I can see that drag and dropping files to my NAS, but never with Time Machine.

No, just dragging and dropping files. Time Machine doesn't even get close to that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.