Maddening AirPort Express Base Station Issue(s)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by clarksonknight, Nov 11, 2008.

1. clarksonknight macrumors regular

I bought an AEB about 4 months ago to use as a router, being that I'm in a small apartment so I don't need an extended range. I have had nothing but problems and have been been feeding my notebooks (iBook G4 and now Glass MBP) with the direct ethernet line more often than the AEB's wireless because of it.

My issues have been wide-ranging and absolutely impossible to debug. Being a technical person I've been trying to fix this on my own but now it's become more of a frustration than a challenge. I'm currently receiving cable internet from Comcast, who assures me the problem can't be on their end (and it isn't, because going directly from the modem to my MBP's ethernet everything works flawlessly and blazing fast). Here's a list of the issues:

1. AirPort Utility frequently can not see the AEB, even if I'm connected to it.
    2. MBP frequently loses connection to AEB, although it can detect the rest of the WANs in my apartment complex just fine.
    3. When I *am* connected to the internet via the AEB, it is mind-bogglingly slow (think Edge, but slower!). Connect ethernet directly to MBP, everything is peachy. I know wireless is not as fast as a direct ethernet connection, but I have not had this kind of performance from other routers.
    4. My Xbox 360 seems to have no problem with all of this, regardless of how poorly things are performing on my MBP.

As far as troubleshooting, I've exhausted just about everything I can find in the Apple's discussion groups and the web. From soft resets to factory resets and it's to the point now where it's just not worth my time to troubleshoot unless I can find someone who's tried something glaringly different than me.

Where I'm at right now is that I've done a full factory reset, re-configured the AEB with no security features and I'm not even able to connect to *any* internet sites after doing the whole power-cycling deal with the router, AEB and MBP.

It shouldn't be this hard, and quite frankly this is the first Apple product that I've owned that hasn't "just worked". I've ordered a new Netgear router that should give me a definitive answer about whether it's the AEB or something else.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I just have a lemon?

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I have had my share of maddening issues with the airport express.

If you don't use the airtunes feature of it, I would just step up to a airport extreme, either new or the older g unit.

I have had the exact problems you are talking about. Won't show up under airport utility. Will show up with a full reset, but then doesn't work ever.

Really annoying. Made me go out and get the airport extreme (n) and an older airport extreme (the ufo) so I could have good coverage.

Older UFO airport extremes are only 30 or so bucks on craigslist. I got two for 50, plus an external antenna.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sounds like you've been pretty thorough. Why not just call apple tech support?

4. clarksonknight thread starter macrumors regular

Apple Tech Support is the last on my list of things to do, I'm just trying to make sure I've exhausted as many possible solutions as I can to make my phone time the most efficient. But yes, I'm definitely going to be giving them a call to go through their troubleshooting before I call it officially over between the AEB and me :D Especially if this replacement router I've ordered is solid. At worst case, I'll keep it for AirTunes.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Post back if there is a magical answer. My express is delegated to airtunes only.

6. futuremac macrumors member

The express works like a charm for us; I set it up at my sisters and its been serving her for 6 months no resets, basically forgot it was even there. I can download 30+Mbs (3-4MBs) with my MBP.

My Base station works great too, just messes with the attached USB printer occasionally, and when it does that I need to reset the base station.

7. coopr macrumors newbie

Try linking both to each other

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. My express turned orange. I went into Airport util, and found some old updates that apparently do not come across with usual software updates. Thereafter I could never keep Exteme and Express connected. Also they kept reverting to a "linksys" network I do not remember setting up.

Finally took both to Genius bar where they worked about an hour and eventually got working, by making each a slave (forgot the term) of each other.
    Works fine now

8. clarksonknight thread starter macrumors regular

Well, after receiving and setting up my new Netgear router, everything seems to work flawlessly, so now I'm pointing my finger directly at my AEB. I'm done troubleshooting it, but I may attempt use it for AirTunes or a wireless extender eventually if the need arises.