iPad Made a custom case for my iPad mini- Mount

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by x-evil-x, Dec 8, 2013.

1. x-evil-x, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I used to have an Arkon case on my old 3rd gen retina and they haven't made any cases for the minis at all. Thought is make my own with this little bracket. I did cover the bolts on the inside with soft backing so it doesn't scratch the iPad. You can hold it one hand easier now with your finger resting on the bracket and a lower stance for the Smart Cover.
    Thought id share.

Attached Files:

2. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

few more

Attached Files:

3. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

fits right over my normal deck and in front of the usb/aux cord.

Attached Files:

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

5. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

That's wicked. I love the car dash setup.

That is a.... mini?

6. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Wow, thats some serious backlight bleeding... And hundreds of dead pixels! :D

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i know!!! i should return it 18 times it might help. :D

yup rmini

8. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Anybody know if they make a adjustable swivel arm mount for iPads?

9. tandeh macrumors regular

10. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

11. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I bought an iKross Long Arm tablet cup holder mount from Amazon, it was about $25 and included a free rubber-tip stylus that works with iPad. Works great in the car.

12. tandeh macrumors regular

they have magnetic versions,
    my ipad 3 had a magnetic disc.

1 question , don't the bolts scratch your ipad

13. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Always love DIY project but I don't understand why you went with such a bulky and impractical mounting solution

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

From the first post

15. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

wouldn't work in my car. my cup holders are my arm rest basically. i like having a big screen for a deck pretty much that i can remove in a second to take with me.
    ITs the reason i got rid of my in dash navigation i used to have.

----------

you mean the little clip on the back? what else is there that would work with the ball mount type joints?
    couldn't really make a flush case like arkon did for the older iPads either since they don't make them for the newer models.

16. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

[/COLOR]

you mean the little clip on the back? what else is there that would work with the ball mount type joints?
    couldn't really make a flush case like arkon did for the older iPads either since they don't make them for the newer models.[/QUOTE]

There are a hundred ways of mounting something to something else. My favorite is tripod nuts and screws, since you can get them easily, cheap, it's already universal, and there are existing accessories for it. I "convert" anything I get into being tripod compatible, so I have a bunch of accessories that work on a bunch of stuff

17. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Attached Files:

18. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

There are a hundred ways of mounting something to something else. My favorite is tripod nuts and screws, since you can get them easily, cheap, it's already universal, and there are existing accessories for it. I "convert" anything I get into being tripod compatible, so I have a bunch of accessories that work on a bunch of stuff[/QUOTE]
    but you can't take it on and off like i can. I don't want to screw it onto something every time i want to mount it. Laying in bed using it pick it up use it in another room or my car. Thats a lot of screwing in instead of just sliding it on a clip.

19. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Like I said, hundreds. Such as:
    Magnets
    Velcro
    Microsuction
    Straps
    Lego (not kidding, it's brilliant)
    Quick release camera shoes
    slide-in holders
    etc

20. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

which method would be less bulky? any pictures of this setup?

21. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Several of these will be able to be embedded into a plastic back cover and thus not add any bulk at all, assuming that you use a plastic back cover to begin with. The LEGO method is actually quite nice; you find some LEGO pieces that are the same color as your case and completely flat on one side. Embed these in the back of the cover with the end that can "accept" pieces exposed. Then all you need to do is mount corresponding LEGO pieces to just snap it in place. Something like 4x 2x2 pieces makes for a very sturdy mount, but a larger plate is easier to embed and make look nice.

----------

Managed to dig up some images of the LEGO method. I did some prototyping a while back for case mounting solutions, and the LEGO system was nice, but I ended up going with a slide-in holder. You can obviously make it look better than my rough prototype test:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

yea still seems as bulky as mine. I don't really notice mine as its in a smart cover when its not mounted i don't usually use it just with the case on back of it.

23. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

24. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

wow thats crazy- i never would have thought of something like that, it looks nice- is it a cellular model because then u could use it as a navigator in your car- and set up some nice custom bluetooth car speaker too.