Made a macbook air 3G yourself + no more overheating to do yourself

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nikemok, Oct 27, 2008.

1. nikemok macrumors newbie

theses articles might interrested you guys from macbook air forum i didnt try at this time but thinks of....one day......

macbook air 3G:

only in french(sorry) : http://www.macbook-fr.com/macbook/bricolage/macbook_air_3g_article1416.html

no more overheating on the MBA :

in english : http://www.listed1st.com/Copper_Air.php

in french : http://www.macbook-fr.com/macbook/bricolage/refroidissement_macbook_air_article1460.html

i hope it might helping you guys post impressions or trying experiences

:apple:

2. CaptainCannabis macrumors regular

Wow, the 2 things that Apple should have done from the very beginning instead of selling defective crapbook airs to everyone.

Thanks, I'll try out the copper thing if I have some time. Although I'm switching to PC very soon cus Apple starts to suck at making notebooks that are useful since they became popular. They just try to make it look cool and attract fools. Plus excel sucks on MAC!!

Thanks! maybe I can still find some use to my crapbook air!

PS: Ultimate goal of an org... to make profit, and Apple is doing it by fooling people.

3. six.four macrumors 6502

I think I read about the 3g mod a while ago...

Is this the same mod that requires you to sacrifice your wlan/bluetooth for the the 3g?

3G is great and all.. but the sacrifice of wireless and bluetooth is a deal killer for me.

4. jamshah macrumors newbie

Apple Should do it

If to fix the Air requires such a simple solution then Apple should do it. Why don't we all send more complaints to apple until they find a solution!!

Jameel

5. ibosie macrumors 6502

ibosie

lol, you're braver than most! Does the 3g shorten the battery life much, I mean since it's connected all the time?

6. six.four macrumors 6502

7. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

...because not everyone has this issue. We have 3 Airs (me, my bother and my sister) and we don't have the issue.

8. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

i don't think 3g is worth sacrificing wifi and bluetooth
    but then i haven't read the linked article so if it can be implemented along side the abovementioned then that's pretty cool :)

9. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

It is the same process. EVDO or wifi/BT, they cant both fit.

10. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

Iam with you. Although I love my iPhone and was planning to get second gen

macbook air, I 80% decided to get Sony Z instead. More power , and better

performance.

11. aleni macrumors 68000

hope you can live with windows OS though.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

i don't understand how an extra copper piece is suppose to help in the overheating since the macbook air's heatsink gap between the actual heatsink and the bottom of the case is suppose to be airflow to cool the heatsink... but w/e.. if it works, great.

13. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

copper conducts heat better then air?

14. ducatidoc macrumors regular

ducatidoc

copper conducts heat MUCH better than air. not to mention that the slice of copper, after drawing up the heat, increases the surface area for heat dissipation so it basically loses the heat FASTER.

i am really bummed that i didnt hear about this mod sooner otherwise i would have done it to my mba. no sense in voiding the warranty now though seeing as how i will be selling it in a week....

15. stiphone macrumors regular

I would love to do this mod on my MBA too but i do not like sacrificing my wifi and bluetooth for it. If someone can figure out how to add in 3G into the MBA case without sacrificing wifi and bluetooth, I'll gladly start the project this weekend.

I looked at the disected MBA at ifixit.com and can't seem to find any open spots to place the 3G adapter in.

Any ideas anyone??

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

but your blocking air flow from the fan.. its like running the system without a fan.

17. lenselijer macrumors member

looks like a nice mod, i just hope someone can make a new heatsink for the macbook air from aluminium or copper which also gives the right pressure to the cpu&gpu.

I think that the small L shaped bracket is not putting enough pressure on the chips.
    If you put arctic silver and put the plate on and take it off you can see this.

For my MSI Wind I bought this:
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w24/tiesum/DSC06518.jpg

I will email the creator to ask if he can create a new heatsink for the air also.

100 degrees celcius under load is not normal because the processor is clocking down to 1200mhz...

18. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Cant be done. There is no room as you saw. Buy one of the tiny USB 3g modems. The new Mercury is pretty tiny.