Made a mistake in the App store...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rockinmorockin, Apr 23, 2011.

1. rockinmorockin macrumors member

I'm an Android guy but I bought an iPad 2. Since I didn't know much of the app store, I bought an app for $9.99 with my mom's credit card (it's on her account). but i wanted to use my 25 dollar gift card, i didn't know you were supposed to redeem it first -___-.

i sent an email reporting it saying it was a mistake. do you think they will revert it or does apple have a no return policy?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

They may, or may not. It's kind of hit or miss - it just ask you before you buy if you're sure you want to buy it, so technically they don't have to - Apple understands mistakes happen though, so it may go either way.

How about you call them, or just tell your mom.

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

taken from this support article:

With the iTunes Store, all sales are final. As soon as you click the
    Buy button (using either 1-Click or the Shopping Cart) your purchases are charged
    to the credit card on your Apple Account. You cannot cancel a purchase or receive
    a refund for a purchase.

however, the iTS is known to make the occasional exception, so here's for hoping ...

4. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

it's not a huge deal but i didn't want to be wasting her money on nba jam :p

i got the gift card for a reason. guess i could just give her a ten when she comes back from belgium if apple doesn't do anything

5. Ommid macrumors 6502

I think this is shockingly bad service

6. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

yeah, they should have a return policy like the android market.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Technically you can't return a digital download so they would in effect be giving it to you free hence the lack of refunds.

It is the same reason retailers don't have to offer refunds on CDs, DVDs or Games (at least in the UK). You can quite easily buy the CD or whatever, rip it and then return it and get it for free.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1. In the U.S. its actually illegal (for the business) to return an opened copy of a software or CD and exchange it for something else (I understand the OPs situation is different). I used to work at Circuit City and Best Buy about 12 years ago (and before that KB Toys) and we used to have training on this. Any exception that is made results in the store taking the full hit.

Digital downloads obviously can't be refunded because who's to say someone didn't keep the file on their computer?

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I got a refund for Aperture when my nephew accidentally bought it whilst playing on my Mac. Strangely enough, I can still use the App, (even though I don't as I prefer iPhoto), I though Apple would have the power to remove stuff off your purchases list so you could no longer use it.

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

I like that. You come up with your solution.