Made Mistake Changing Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushido, Jan 3, 2013.

1. bushido, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

bushido Suspended

bushido

so ive tried to replace my optical drive with another hard drive the other week and i messed up ...

the "subwoofer/right speaker" cable came completely off of the logic board and the airport, camera, bluetooth did no longer work and the fan ran on full speed as soon as i booted

thats not the crazy part tho ..

fed up i ordered a new rmbp last week and today out of boredom i tried to fix my old mbp again and reassembled all the wires again (the subwoofer cable is still off obvs) and all of the sudden, the camera and the internet! worked again :eek:

however now the fan isn't working anymore and i can hear it trying to spin but it doesnt seem to "speed up" and therefore the cpu starts to heat up to 80+ quite fast

here are 2 pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i just dont get why the fan ran like crazy up until now and now that the airport is working again the fan stops working :(

i could live without the right speaker but not without a working fan

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Wow you've butchered that! The only way to fix the fan is to solder the connector back onto the MLB.

Mind you - you've also butchered the display's USB connector. I'd be surprised if that carries on working for long.

3. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it looks like the temp sensor is messed up. I guess since you have a new MB Pro on order, you could try soldering it back to the logic board. Or, a couple dabs of super glue around the edge of the sensor and put it back on there. :)

4. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

but how come the fan worked without the red/black wire being soldered on the logicboard (i thought thats the speaker cable anyway)

like i said the fan used to work up until now and iStat Pro also shows the temperatures and the rpm speed

i just dont understand why the fan would stop working and the airport start working again ... i didnt unplug anything from the logic board, didnt even touch it today. i simply messed around with the subwoofer upper case this time

iStat Pro still shows the temperatures and fan speed

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Ah apologies yes that's the sub cable. Didn't notice the red cable! :p

Do you have a photo of the fan connector? I'd try reseating everything. The USB cable being messed up wont stop the fan - the SMC automatically ramps everything up to full if there is any problem with any sensor.

6. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

this one? i didnt touch that part at all tho

[​IMG]

i honestly dont get it, i didnt unplug anything today i havent messed up last week. all i did today was unplugging the "camera cable?" the one in picture 1 earlier and the speaker data cable case

[​IMG]

so annoying, now the wifi works again and the fan starts acting up

i can hear that its trying to spin but its just making some weird half attempts
    is there anything else that could make the CPU heat up like crazy besides the missing fan cooler