Made my MBP decision finally!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nykee23, Jul 14, 2008.

1. nykee23 macrumors newbie

Whew, I'm exhausted. After deliberating and head banging decided that the MBP is the best solution. Doing some small HD video projects and using it for general use most of the rest of the time. The Mac Pro, too expensive, the Imac, the glossy would drive me nuts.

Here we go:

17" MBP (Hi Res Matte Screen)
    2.5 ghz chip (saved a few hundred vs. the 2.6)
    Standard hard drive
    Ordered Latency 4 - 4 gigs of ram from OWC - $112. Heard latency 4 is a bit better than standard ram

Hope everything works well when I get it soon. I have moved to the light side of the force finally. Granted I still have a 10 year old Dell machine that I won't have to totally toss since it still works.

Glad to have moved to the apple family.

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Congrats! You will love it.

Just curious.. Why did you decide to get a Mac if the Dell still works fine? :confused:

3. hitnrun7 Guest

"Welcome to the family."

or for those of you that have played a game or two...

"Welcome to city 17, you have chosen or have been chosen..."

4. nykee23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why I went Apple

When you have a Dell with a P4 486 chip and original 12 gig hard drive and a 80 gig additional drive, 32 mb graphics card and 512 of onboard ram, I couldn't do any quality video work on my computer without it completely crashing. I have Win 2K on it, but couldn't go XP. With the Macbook, I can have a dedicated video editing machine that I can keep portable when I need to show what I've been working on.

Also I can move to the Iphone or current Ipods since it can handle the newer versions of Itunes.

5. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

He probably did it for the same reason I did... my 10 year-old Dell still works fine. But it's ten years old. It's like asking "why get a typewriter if you can still chisel into rock?"

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

does the glossy drive a lot of people crazy? The matte kind of drives me crazy.

7. cuestakid macrumors 68000

or if you are like me you need a fully functional windows machine for certain classes-

8. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Congrats on your new macbook!

I prefer glossy aswell, Matte seems dull to me. I have a matte mbp, had a glossy mb before, I still prefer that one, not so reflective as some may think.

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

^^I feel the same way. The matte doesn't have the same WOW factor to me. I have matte on my thinkpad coming from a glossy Asus W7J and it was kind of like...oh.

I just bought a mbp even though I just bought a thinkpad x61s this summer. Windows is imperative for some programs for school. And I wanted a mobile- ish desktop.

10. peejack macrumors 6502a

It's about the same price for the 4 core version no?

Anyway im thinking abot getting a mbp maybe the 17" Hi res let me know how it is?

11. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Yes, let us know your experience. I've been wanting to trade my MBP up for a 17" but it may be to big. Maybe an iMac would do, I'm going blind again, I do all my work on my 15" MBP.

12. nephilim7 macrumors regular

the issue isn't size, it's if the additional real estate is worth the price. 1920x1200 is crazy good on a laptop. I can't even stand looking at other displays now.

13. peejack macrumors 6502a

Yeh the hi-res on the 17" must look awesome do you have one nephilim7?

14. nephilim7 macrumors regular

yeah I have a latest gen 17" HD matte. Originally I had planned on getting a 15.4 thinking that I'd be fine with it, but my housemate bought a 17" while I was still pondering the decision and it more or less decided it for me.

15. peejack macrumors 6502a

Cool cause im considering getting rid of my mac pro and 24" dell monitor. If I got a 15" I would probably want to keep the monitor but I think if I got the Hi-Res 17" I would be ok for screen estate?

Im using logic pro mainly :)

16. nephilim7 macrumors regular

yeah I use the display for real estate in logic pro. Less screensets the better. I was looking at an apple 23" + 15 and ended up with the 17" and haven't regretted it at all.

17. peejack macrumors 6502a

Cool. What sort of hd setup do you have? any external?

18. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I have a 4TB rack, but it's mostly for archive/storage, whatever project I'm working on sits on the HD.

19. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I personally prefer the Matte (glossy drives me nuts) but sometimes it glossy looks much better.

How do you like the Thinkpad? As much as I am an Apple fan, I love the all-business Thinkpads as well. The keyboards are the best and the computer just screams TOUGH. The only problem for me is that it only runs Windows!

20. kabunaru Guest

Congratulations on the purchase and you made the right choice by going Mac. :)

21. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i love glossy myself.. i think the glossy makes all colors look awesome!

really a personal pref.

22. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Im mostly sure I'll go back to glossy for my next mac. I'm just waiting for the new MBPs.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

wait i think the Hi-res screen only comes on the 2.6

24. peejack macrumors 6502a

No it doesn't you can select it for the 2.5.

Im probably gonna get this one, can't be bothered to wait. New models only cause problems, and I don't want the looks to be lost ;)

25. Snowbound macrumors regular

Glad to see another convert. It really is the best for video editing. Since I occasionally use my laptop outside, matte was the only way to go. Glossy sure does look pretty though.