Made my own CSS drop 'Ups'... test please

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wheezy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I'm currently redoing my personal site, hopefully selling myself more as a web developer than my current one is doing.

I decided I wanted to try image drop-ups for the web design and photography tabs. Only Web design is done so far, none of the links go anywhere yet.

Can you please test it out in whatever browser you use and let me know what bugs you hit? I don't care about IE6, if web firms are checking me out in IE6 then I don't want to work for them :)

http://dev.unculturedswine.net/

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Photography tab is not working. Moz 3.0.12
    Web design is good. But a suggestion? Move the pop out a bit more to the left so that its a bit more directly over its parent. Fist time I did it, I scrolled a bit right, and went into the next box, which make the pop up vanish.

As regards IE6. According to google analytics which we use, over 24% of all internet users still use IE6. So if your employer is a wide ranging website, you may want to take that into effect.

3. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Photography doesn't have the popup yet, wanna make sure it's working good before I copy the code over.

I'll work on the positioning. I'm still not gonna care about IE6. :) If my job requires me to then I will, but I'm not requiring myself. If someone is checking me out in IE6 they're just too technologically impaired that it would be more of a suffering relationship than I'm willing to work with anymore.

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Oops, sorry, when I read your post first I read pop ups for Web design and photography, not that part after.. :p

Good work.

5. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Nice

Nice work, web design is popping up in my browser (firefox 3.0.12) and very nice graphics.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I really like the design :) It's refreshing and interesting - from my unprofessional point of view. I also like the pop-up bubbles (and it works in FF 3.5.1)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not in the business at all, but I do think that is a crazy attitude to take. IE6 still has a massive install base, whatever you think of it. To choose not to cater to it is a big mistake IMO.

Anyway, the pop up menu above web design works just fine on Win 7 RC / Firefox 3.5.1 & IE 8.

8. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Good point, IE is about 20% of the market; what could be done to accomodate for IE?:confused:

9. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Actually, IMHO, what I'm doing, neglecting IE6, is what needs to be done for it. The more broken sites people have to see, the more they might think 'Hey, there's got to be a better browser'. I have no problem troubleshooting for 7 and 8 and higher, but 6 needs to die. And the best way to kill it is to take it off Life Support, stop giving it medications, and just let it die. It's losing market share monthly, within the next year the numbers will be so minimal, any effort expended now will have been wasted.

Let's stop catering to the technically dead, both in terms of user base and browser. It's kinda like Apple, dropping off the floppy, getting rid of dial-up modems, no VGA outputs. If you want technology to progress, you have to get rid of the old stuff.

Thanks! I was going for something fun, and with a slightly technically challenging layout (which is in the works for the content), but we all know our own children look the best, so getting someone other than me to offer opinion is totally needed. :)

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Pop-up menu looks good! Nicely done :)

Just out of curiosity... Why call them a drop-up? Surely pop-up is better suited as the counter part to drop-down :p

With regards to IE6, you need to make sure the site still works. It doesn't need to look as nice, but it needs to work. This will illustrate to possible employers or clients that you understand graded browser support, graceful degradation, progressive enhancement etc.

So make sure you can still access everything in IE6 even if you need to do a conditional stylesheet to layout the navigation in a more simple, unattractive manner.

You could even put some IE6 and below conditional code in to display a message urging people to upgrade. Using code like that shown below is becoming commonplace:

Code:
    <!--[if lt IE 7]>
            <div id="ie6Warning">
          <h2>Time to upgrade your browser</h2>
          <p>If you're reading this, you're surfing using Internet Explorer 6, an eight-year-old browser that cannot cope with the demands of the modern internet. For the best web experience, we strongly recommend upgrading to <a href="http://www.getfirefox.com/">Firefox</a>, <a href="http://www.opera.com/">Opera</a>, <a href="http://www.apple.com/safari/">Safari</a>, <a href="http://www.google.com/chrome">Google Chrome</a>, or a more recent version of <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx">Internet Explorer</a>.</p>
          </div>
          <![endif]-->

(Sourced from bringdownie6.com)

Or you can be sneakier like suggested at ie6update.com, but deceiving your users isn't considered best practice.

Either way, you should make sure your content is accessible, even if it's not as pretty. Not everyone is allowed to upgrade their browser (government, corporate, educational users without admin rights).

/Doug

11. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Good Point Doug. I'm pretty efficient at making sure there is always underlying HTML code behind every image used, so yes, I guess my neglect towards IE6 is more functionally; I'm pretty sure all the content will still be visible.

12. m3kilpat macrumors regular

13. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Thanks! Added some more content. Haven't browser checked it yet though so it might look funky.

I love CSS :)

EDIT: Yep, IE needs some formatting. Stupid... :)