iPad Made the jump, rMini to air..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FiremanMike, Jul 1, 2014.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Well I made a leap that I never though I'd do, I went from the rMini to the air. When the original mini came out I bought it immediately, followed by the rMini, and proclaimed to anyone who would listen that "this is the size that iPad should have been all along!" Over the course of the last several months, I came to realize that the larger screen would fit my needs much better and I started looking into the idea of going to the air. The final push came when I was killing time at best buy and played with an air right next to an rMini and noticed that everyone was absolutely correct, the color on the air is noticeably better than the rMini..

I'm pretty happy so far, but it's only been a day. The air with my zero chroma case is notably heavier than my rMini with its zero chroma case, but I think I'm getting used to it. I'm keeping the rMini around for another week or so before I craigslist it to make sure I can adjust to the increased size/weight, but I'm pretty sure I made the right move..

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Individual needs are really what it's all about. The rMini is a great iPad that serves a lot of people very well; my wife thoroughly appreciated every iPad that she owned, but the Mini is by far her favorite (she hasn't upgraded to the rMini and will be getting whatever the follow-up is this year). Personally I prefer the full-size iPads, particularly for reading textbooks. It's great that there are options, so everyone can get what they want/need.

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

They both have their merits...

I have both an iPad Air and a first generation iPad mini. When the third generation iPad mini comes out in the fall, I will replace the latter with it. I find that the iPad mini really shines with cellular as a second cell phone/car unit. It is also easier to take to places where any full-sized iPad (Air or otherwise) is inconvenient. It is not the iPad I do the bulk of my content creation/editing on, but it's nice to have around and it certainly beats my Android phone and iPod touch for a lot of things. Otherwise the Air is awesome in its own right. Also, pending any display improvements on the third generation mini, the Air's display is by far the best out of any iOS device and it is the only one I've used where I don't find iOS 7 to be downright ugly. In fact, on the Air, it's actually pretty.

4. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I'm looking to do the opposite. My main reasoning is size. I love the portability more and smaller size means easier typing like it's an iphone. I do see the screen being sharper on the air so here's hoping the 3rd gen rmini is better

5. GoingDark macrumors 6502

The Air is the superior device unless portability is important to you. I have an Android phone but need access to iOS apps on the go, so I went with a cellular rMini and I'm very happy with it. If I mostly used my iPad at home I would have definitely gone with the Air instead.

6. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

I really haven't found portability to be an issue at all. I've been carrying my Air everywhere that I would have carried my mini and it's been no big deal..

7. GoingDark macrumors 6502

If you carry your tablet in a bag then Mini or Air makes no difference - I typically carry my mini in a jacket pocket, which would be a little more difficult with an Air. :p

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats on your new purchase. I still like my rMini but different strokes for different folks :)

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

100% agree. I got flamed and my thread closed as it turned into a cat fight for your same reasons. Oh and I said I didn't think the mini was worth the $$ compared. The mini colours are washed out compared to the Air and the air is a tad faster. Typing this on my mini retina while watching TV on my Air :)

10. Poly macrumors 6502

I switched from my iPad Mini1 (bought day 1) to the Air in April and I don't regret it! I love the Air due to it's slim form factor and the lightness.

11. leftyMac macrumors regular

I'm definitely leaning more towards the air when the time comes for replacing my rMini. as it turned out, I don't need the portability. mostly I use it at home. and the larger screen of my GF's iPad 3 kind of makes me jealous!

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I originally purchased the Retina iPad Mini and moved to the iPad Air for the same reason. Real estate. I had the mini for 3 days.

13. mr99 macrumors 6502a

If you need screen space absolutely the air but otherwise the retina mini is an awesoke device.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It is, and I have no regrets over my mini - One size doesn't fit all, so the OP is happy with his Air. The Mini is great on its own as well :D

15. mr99 macrumors 6502a

The bigger iPad's are just too large to hand-hold, for me at least and I don't come anywhere needing that much screen but I can understand people who watch media on theirs.

16. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm taking the next step. I'm wiping my rMini and putting it on craigslist today. I think I made the right move for me.

17. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Good choice, air is a much nicer iPad, way nicer colours and a tad faster too. All the talk from those sacrificing colour for size is crap and fanboism IMO, i take mine everywhere even use it in a CD holder in car, and i just sold my 2 week old iPad mini retina on ebay. Couldn't take the difference in colour.
    Even my parents in their 70's went to a Air from a mini just last week and can tell the difference, and they are as about tech minded as a mouse, lol.

If people want the mini for the size and its cheaper great, but don't try and say their is no difference in colour.

Maybe the mini 3 will catch up, it needs to as its not worth the $$ now considering for another $100 or so and you have the Air.

18. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I absolutely agree. The easiest way to notice the color is to use the air (or mini) for a week and then switch. The difference is immediately noticeable. When I pulled out my mini this morning to update it to 7.12 and then clear it, I was amazed at the color difference.

This is not to say that the rMini is a bad device, and it serves many, but the color, extra real estate, and negligible difference in weight makes the air a better device for me.

I am curious about the people who say they can put their rMini in their pocket. I've never been able to fit my rMini (or my mini 1) into any of my pockets..

19. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

I just remembered another bonus of the air over the rMini that is not frequently mentioned and that's the speaker. The speaker on the air blows the one on the rMini out of the water!

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not just videos, though, it's reading too. PDF and comic books are easier to read on the Air, and websites are often too small on the mini. Yes, sometimes the Air does feel a tad big to hold, but it's still a lot smaller than the hard cover printed books I used to read all the time. :D

As for the color difference between the Air and the mini, yes, there is a difference. But no, most people don't mind. It's like when you walk into a TV store and all the TVs have slightly different colors. I've never heard anybody complain why the TV manufacturers can't get their acts together and get all their TVs to display the same colors.

21. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Sounds as if someone made this thread for purchase justification reasons alone.

22. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I typically wear a suit jacket (and did so before I owned a mini). My mini fits into my suit jacket pocket effortlessly. I wouldn't try to put it into a pants pocket.

23. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

It was a discussion point on a discussion forum. Thanks for your contribution.

24. OS-SEX macrumors member

OS-SEX

I'll chime in with my experience. I've been debating for weeks whether to get an air or a mini retina. Reading a lot of comments on this forum had me thinking I'd find the air a little bulky since I'll be primarily using it on the go. So I was a little reluctant when I had a chance to buy a one month old air at a sizable discount. We'll I am in love with this thing! The screen size is great. I laugh now when I think I was worried it was too big to be truly portable. I am coming from an older 15" MacBook Pro after all. I'm really satisfied with this little wonder. Now if I could only choose a case. :rolleyes:

25. New Apple, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

New Apple macrumors regular

I carry a dslr, 3 lenses etc for hours

Passion kills the weight.

I have an ipad 3
    And if i keep it on my legs or a table or on a stand, its no problem

But on bed or sofa, when i want or need to keep it in my hands before the sleep time ( when u r so tired that u need ur head on a pillow)

My harms cant handle to keep it up more than 5 mins.

While the nexus 7 i had (size) didnt give me the same bad feeling (still prefer the apple experience)

For me something about trice the size of an iphone is enough for quick enjoyment before zzzz, or i need bigger estate i have my tv, an imac 27(also to see from distance) and a mb air 13

There is non better than the other, all depends on your technical and body needs

If i ve had no tv,imac, mb air
    Id probably convince myself to handle a 50" ipad in the middle of the sleep after the most hard of working days

:) waiting and saving for miniR 2

• gamut : for people who grew up with 14-15+ inches crt tvs, black and white, "snow" interferenced, mono audio, gamut is a non issue, unless someone convinces of it an 80yo man with a weak sight
    Or if u have your work reasons.

Cheers