made "the switch". little disappointed. help!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dontxhide, Aug 26, 2011.

1. dontxhide macrumors newbie

Hello,

I searched the forums before I posted and found lots of general info for my question but nothing specific. Sorry if this is was already asked!

So I made the switch. My colllege (Universty of Utah), sells new macs and I took one home yesterday

After I loaded 'stellarium' (which I had on my pc), there is now a dead pixel on center-right side of the screen.

I say dead, not stuck, because it looks black and doesn't change colors. (who knows though?)

This disappointed me. I expected stuck/dead pixels later on in the laptops life and not after the very first day I owned it!

Since I bought it at my school is there anything Apple can do?

What I have done so far:

Called my school - told me unopened returns within 15 days complete replacement fine. But since I had already opened it and just 1 pixel is broken for me to take it in, have them look at it, and they will decide from there, possible w/ a restocking fee.

Called Apple: The guy over the phone was really nice but not very informative. He basically said to take it to my school, see what they do, if they do nothing take it into an Apple Store. I asked them what the policy was on pixels - he didn't say. I asked him if I bought it somewhere else will the Apple Store replace it if my school wont? He said he didn't know.

Anyways. I love Macs now. I realize pixel damage is expected I didn't expect it the first day! (My last laptop, an Asus, no pixel problems until a year after having it).

If I bought it at a Mac retailer and they won't replace it is there anything an Apple store or Applecare can actually do?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Take it into an Apple Store ... even try to make an appointment online.

be polite and they just may exchange it for you ... good luck

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Sorry to hear that. A dead pixel is a real downer.

It is actually the other way around. Pixels tend to be dead on arrival, or possibly very soon thereafter, they very seldom die later. Not that it helps in your case...

4. dontxhide thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I didn't realize that also. My only experience with pixel problems came with my Asus, which seemed to only happen towards the mid/end of its life!

Do I do a one to one, or genius bar?

----------

Just did the research. Genius bar I'm assuming?