Madonna and Others in upcoming iTunes Ad?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to several web reports, Madonna is reportedly involved in an upcoming advertisement promoting iTunes and the new Motorola Moto Rokr mobile phone.

Other stars featured in the advert are Little Richard, Bootsy Collins, Lil' John, The White Stripes, Sleater-Kinney, Sum 41, Mya, Pussycat Dolls, Billie Joe (from Green Day). Look-a-likes of Beethoven, Jimi Hendrix and Biggie Smalls are also featured.
A description of the ad is provided which involves depicts the music stars packing into a phone booth which morphs into the Motorola Rokr mobile phone.

tsaxer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
Tuscaloosa, AL
uhhh... last time I check, Jimi Hendrix is dead....
Can this thing really be as crappy as they say with all the endorsements?
I wonder....

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Eh. Big Deal.

With the exception of Little RIchard, none of this even interests me. But, then again, I've never been a Madonna fan, even in the 80's.

As for the phone, I'm also not excited. I like my cell phone to make and receive calls. That's it. I don't need it for games, chatting, or taking pictures. I know it appeals to a lucrative market, but I'd much rather Apple spend time and effort on more stable updates and something unique in laptop hardware. I love my iBook G4, but I keep thinking things like easy-to-swap hard drives, greater (inexpensive) RAM capacity, and better onboard sound for presentations would be nice. But, that's me. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I thought Madonna had broken ribs. Being packed into a phone booth while already in pain doesn't sound like she's following doctor's orders.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Remember, it's a Motorola phone and so presumably it's a Motorola ad. Not Apple.

Hopefully 9/7 will be about more than this Apple-Motorola partnership. From what we know, it's a really minor thing. A few songs on a phone, eating away at your talk time? Seems like little more than a PR move for both companies. Nothing wrong with it, just not big news.

Hopefully what we do NOT know will be more fun :) Apple's announcement implies that there is more coming than just an iPod-alike interface on a 25-song phone.

rimglow

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2005
Madonna Wises Up?

I always wondered why Madonna, being such a shrewd businesswoman, would pass up revenue from iTunes. Maybe she finally did the numbers.

googolplex

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
What the heck?

This sounds totally stupid.

I also don't think The White Stripes would get involved with this kind of thing at all. It would be a very sellout type move (not that that's really bad, but it doesn't seem like something the band would do).

Also Jack White especially isn't really big on technology in music, so I don't see why he'd be advertising it. He records all his stuff with no computers and really old equipment. I really don't think the White Stripes would go for something like this.

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
hmmm... as usual, Apple is going after the mostly "hip" niche bands, (or else the dead and has-beens)whose users are already more than likely to be Mac heads.
Preaching to the choir.

Some examples of whom they should really be recruiting are:

Metallica
Dio
Spitney Brears,
That American idol guy
WWF dudes
NASCAR drivers
'lil Kim
the entire squad of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders

only THEN will Apple start eroding into MS territory-and getting to the joe sixpack/mainstream masses.
From 2%-you have nowhere to go but UP.

;-)

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
thogs_cave said:
As for the phone, I'm also not excited. I like my cell phone to make and receive calls. That's it. I don't need it for games, chatting, or taking pictures.
I agree all this does is run your battery down sooner. Product convergence is just creating these jacks of all trades but masters of none. The only reason they build extra 'functionality' into heandsets isn't for us it is for them. Why do you think the phone operators subsidise the cost so heavily (in the uk at any rate) it is because music/photos equals more data over their network equals more revenue. Motorola will want to get an ITMS interface because that is where they pick up money they don't need to get any money from the purchase, downloading 3 megs of data is where they see teh return. And when you send that picture, browse the web, ring your friends to brag about your new (and not particularly attractive) phone they'll be laughing behind your back.

I like the sound of itunes on a nokia though (even if it is a third party app), for me nokia make the best phones. However, if we want this well implemented we need apple to make a phone because their strength lies in bringing together software and hardware. The new sony music phone looks pretty good IMHO, but you know apple could do better.

PDubNYC

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
NYC
tsaxer said:

Nice observation, genius. I wonder what Beethoven and Biggie will have to say about this.
LOOK-A-LIKES!

Using look-a-likes always scares me. Kind of cheesy, kind of scary.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
PDubNYC said:
Nice observation, genius. I wonder what Beethoven and Biggie will have to say about this.
LOOK-A-LIKES!

Using look-a-likes always scares me. Kind of cheesy, kind of scary.
look alikes are better than using old footage. With a look alike, they probably won't feature them prominently. Remember fred astair dancing with a vacuum cleaner. Now that was pretty awful.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
PDubNYC said:
Nice observation, genius.
He was making a point, don't flame him.

I wish that Apple would put its marketing dollars into this new Sept 7th product and not into the phone.

No one cares about the phone, I doubt a phonebooth full of celebs are going to change that.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
tsaxer said:
Can this thing really be as crappy as they say with all the endorsements?
I wonder....
hence the reason a lookalike will be used...

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
googolplex said:
Also Jack White especially isn't really big on technology in music, so I don't see why he'd be advertising it. He records all his stuff with no computers and really old equipment. I really don't think the White Stripes would go for something like this.
Thats very true but since Jack basically has total control over The White Stripes music (which is rare) it is plausible due his music being featured on iTMS pretty well.

But for someone who cuts reel to reel analog recording by hand in his home studio, it is a bit odd. ;)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
seashellz said:
hmmm... as usual, Apple is going after the mostly "hip" niche bands, (or else the dead and has-beens)whose users are already more than likely to be Mac heads.
Preaching to the choir.

Some examples of whom they should really be recruiting are:

Metallica
Dio
Spitney Brears,
That American idol guy
WWF dudes
NASCAR drivers
'lil Kim
the entire squad of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders

only THEN will Apple start eroding into MS territory-and getting to the joe sixpack/mainstream masses.
From 2%-you have nowhere to go but UP.

;-)
Metallica - CRAP
Britney - CRAP
American Idol who?
Lil' Kim Shong?

Is that a joke or what..? Oh wait...you're right, the U.S. mainstream music is CRAP, just like the mainstream U.S. computer company...

Ok, back to my iTunes with Iron Maiden, Opeth, After Forever, Epica, Pearl Jam, Nightwish and Oleta Adams...thanks very much!

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
hvfsl said:
I didn't think Madonna was on iTunes, I guess that means they are planning to add her soon.
I wonder how much of the catalog iTunes will be getting. I was very disappointed that iTunes only got Dave Matthews Band's new album and not the full (or substantially full) catalog.

With Madonna and the Rolling Stones in the fold, what big names does that leave out?

The Beatles
Radiohead
AC/DC

Others?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
quackattack said:
He was making a point, don't flame him.

I wish that Apple would put its marketing dollars into this new Sept 7th product and not into the phone.

No one cares about the phone, I doubt a phonebooth full of celebs are going to change that.
Especially a booth full of CRAPPY celebs...Madonna, have ya finished your summer course on Jewish Cabala already? Go back to your place, monster of the black lagoon!