OS X Mafia 2 with Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MarcusCarpenter, Nov 4, 2013.

1. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

I can't seem to get Mafia 2 to run under 10.9, the icon will appear in the dock for a few seconds then go away.

Machine has been reinstalled a few times with 10.9 fresh

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I hope you contacted Feral support and will keep us posted on what they have to say. I still haven't bought this game yet but am interested in it.

3. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I would contact our support, however in our testing Mavericks has vastly improved the stability and performance of the game on many Mac's especially the lower end cards.

However if you email Feral support I am sure our support ninjas will investigate.

Edwin

4. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

I have a Mac Mini 2012 (with 8GB RAM) and just installed Mavericks over Mountain Lion.
    As soon as I read your post, I tried (for the first time since upgrading) Mafia II and it worked as it did before.

5. mPastuszko macrumors newbie

After upgrade to Mavericks my Mafia II stopped working. The icon appears in the dock but after two seconds becomes unresponsive and the whole application hangs. The only thing I can do is right click the icon and force Mafia to quit.

I tried pressing command or option key when launching but it didn't help.

Any suggestions?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Have you tried deleting an reinstalling

7. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Contacting support is a good idea, you can get support unless you ask for it :) We have seen a few graphical issues on Mavericks (due to drivers bugs) but not any 100% loading bugs so it's likely your setup and hopefully simple to fix.

Edwin

8. SingularityG macrumors 6502

SingularityG

Works fine over here. Sadly, the performance under OSX is as terrible as I remember it (2010 Macbook Pro).

9. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Sadly the performance of the Nvidia 300 series graphics card drivers was never improved in the later OS releases. We did log a number of bugs against the card that caused slower performance on that hardware but although some bugs were fixed the general performance on that hardware was never improved. If the drivers are improved the game performance should jump back up and match similarly powered mac hardware.

Sorry I don't have better news

Edwin

10. SingularityG macrumors 6502

SingularityG

Thanks for the info Edwin.:)

I am just sick of this marketing trick pushing people to buy the newest hardware, while their is perfectly fine. Apple makes great and lasting products, but cutting support after three (?) years is ridiculous.

Luckily, Mafia II runs great on GT330m under Bootcamp and I can only recommend it to people with that option.:)

11. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

The 300 series sadly is just a bad series in terms of drivers on OS X. The NV9000 series runs faster and better as does the NV100 series which are the two previous generations of Nvidia cards in Macs.

We have a couple of AMD powered iMacs from ~2008 that can run Tomb Raider perfectly for example. It really depends on the drivers and sadly the Nvidia 300 series was a series that for some reason had a lot more issues than any card series before or since in recent memory.