Mafia II

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

What did you guys think of the demo?

I had planned to buy this game, but I crossed it off my shopping list after playing the demo. It just doesn't seem to bring ANYTHING new to the table to justify spending money on this. The setting may be somewhat unique, but gameplay-wise EVERYTHING (open world, driving, combat, cover-based shooting...) has been done before, and better. It does look nice, and the car physics are pretty good. But the entire time I just couldn't shake that "been there, done that" feeling... :(

2. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like most of the reviews are somewhat agreeing with me.

Shame, I was kind of looking forward to this game...

But really, what is the point of an open world with nothing to do? The missions are cookie-cutter with sub-par game mechanics, and the city gives zero incentive for exploring or wreaking havoc or...well, doing ANYTHING besides the missions really. Wasted potential if you ask me.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I picked it up Saturday. If you liked the first one then you'll like this one.

It is kinda depressing that this is what 6 years gets you nowadays, but I love the concept. I think that all it needed was more non-linear missions. For instance, I had $2000 before the story called for it. Why couldn't I give it to my mother when I wanted to? And why couldn't I take jobs from multiple families? Joe and Vito do all the time in the story.

But it's not a bad game - and I think what's there IS worth the $60, but it is Mafia all over again. If you haven't played the first, go buy that for $10 and you'll get the same gameplay. Nintendo does that with the Zelda games and there are people that eat those up on every release.