Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Sooo... Just had an idea about incorporating the MagSafe feature into Macbooks. I don't know why - maybe because the mini-DVI connection is extremely tight-fitting. Meaning plugging it in and unplugging takes two hands in order to keep my macbook from flying.

I just think I'm brilliant and I just want others to awe in my brilliancy. So Mag-DVI should be the next thing Apple magnetizes. IMO

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
7on said:
Sooo... Just had an idea about incorporating the MagSafe feature into Macbooks. I don't know why - maybe because the mini-DVI connection is extremely tight-fitting. Meaning plugging it in and unplugging takes two hands in order to keep my macbook from flying.

I just think I'm brilliant and I just want others to awe in my brilliancy. So Mag-DVI should be the next thing Apple magnetizes. IMO
Definitely a good idea.

Though, in altering the DVI so it was mag-tastic would require changing the pins and contacts, which would in effect make it no longer compliant with the DVI standard.

BUT, it could be apple's new DVI, and it could be great. Hell, imagine if alll our connections were magsafe. That would be raelly nifty- just grab your computer and go, literally.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
he didn't mean the actual dvi on the macbook pro, but the mini-DVI port on the macbook

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
kgarchar said:
he didn't mean the actual dvi on the macbook pro, but the mini-DVI port on the macbook
Right...

But i'd like to see someone come up with a usable magnet that was strong enough to pull the pins into the right place, while not bending them, and allowing it to be easily pulled out.

aznfreak

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2006
Maybe it's your adaptor, because my mini-dvi cable fits just right. I pull it off with one hand with ease. Sometimes I even wonder if it's on snug!

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I was thinking about this too, pretty much every plug would be cool as a mag-safe type thing. What would REALLY be cool is if they were all electro-magnetic, so when you switched it off, all the plugs would just fall away. Eh? Eh? now YOU awe in MY brilliance!

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
pdpfilms said:
Right...

But i'd like to see someone come up with a usable magnet that was strong enough to pull the pins into the right place, while not bending them, and allowing it to be easily pulled out.

Hmm... All you would have to do is remove the pins. :rolleyes:

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
suneohair said:
Hmm... All you would have to do is remove the pins. :rolleyes:
...thus exempting it from the DVI standard.

Unless of course you're being sarcastic, in which case.. uh... ha..haha!:eek:

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
pdpfilms said:

is Mini-DVI even a DVI standard? I thought it was just a proprietary Apple thing to get DVI out on the small form factor of the iMac/Macbook. Meaning they could change the adapter plug.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
pdpfilms said:

It would obviously have to be an adapter, which means apple could do whatever they wanted with the connection.

You would have to connect the big DVI to the adapter which would have the mag in it.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Might the mag connector upset the signals in the DVI cable/at the point of connection? I guess it doesn't have an affect on the power socket, but the DVI socket might be a bit more sensitive to magnetic fields. I dunno though... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.