MAG release next week

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by takao, Jan 23, 2010.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

any MR users going to pick it up ?

after the public beta i was quite surprised since lots of online comments were negative, I expected the worst ... it looks like the arcade shooter call of duty has completly ruined a generation of gamers

complaining about a 20 second respawn ? in the worst case mind you... how about dieing less and not using the bleed out button instantly so a medic can save you

grenades not being throwable within a split-second ? :rolleyes:

but i suppose it might also depend on the faction some played ... i played SVER and found it highly entertaining but i suspect the beginner flooded Raven is more plagued by the clueless

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Most definitely I'll be picking up MAG on the first day. I love tactical shooters and arcade type like COD don't do anything for me. I enjoyed the beta and I'm quite happy that its defecting the kids away from it...this game is targeted at the SOCOM community and so far it has them.

I really wished Sony would bundle the headset with it but that doesn't looks like its happening....such a shame.

Valor 4 life! ;):p

Bless

3. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

i just hope the community stays big enough... and uses teamwork for once

in europe they also offer a headset bundle with the original bluetooth playstation one for 19 bucks more
    since i don't have headset yet and the original costs 39 alone i will take that ;)

too bad we will be see us only through reflex sights then ...;)

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm going to get it, but I'll wait. I'm picking up No More Heroes 2 and Mass Effect 2 this week!

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Have you been on SOCOM lately...its packed all day/night. I think MAG will have that type of success but will not commercially like MW2. Just like SOCOM this game requires communication and if the SOcrack heads(myself included) do move over to MAG then we'll have nothing to worry about because EVERYONE use their mics and play as a team.

Righttt...I'm sure Valor's bullets will sting SVER rusty arses just like in the beta;):D

Add me to PSN...maybe you'll fall to my bullet just like Ed(whos still in hiding after that last whooping):cool:

Bless

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Which one, the last one we played I had you in kills sir ;):cool:

I wouldn't buy MAG, I will however still have it on release day :p Not sure how much I'll play it though, I still have yet to play the new SOCOM that they supposedly fixed with patches. I do like a tactical shooter though, MW is far too arcady for my taste.

7. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

socom never really got me so i'll have take your word for it

unless it's sabotage maps because on those SVER actually won most games .. despite having least amount of players ;)... and because of that raven and valor are whining on the official forum to no end that "SVER needs to be nerfed" ;)

gonna send you a PM the next days when i've got some time for playing.. though i will be rather the guy resurrecting fallen guys around me with a maniacal laughter... the point advantage early on is simply bizzare

oh in the full version you can create 3 characters (afaik) so it wouldn't mean we would always have to kill us ;)

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I love SOCOM, and they really seemed to have fixed all the issues it had for launch.... Just haven't had time to play it lately :(

9. onejed1 macrumors newbie

I'm definitely picking this game up, tomorrow!

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm looking forward to picking this one up today!

11. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

i have to add that you can't create further characters until you made one character to level 60 ... so choose your faction wisely

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Haha, yea I found that out. That kind of sucked because I had already played a couple hours on one and was thinking of trying another...

My brother had a good reason though. I guess winning factions get bonus contracts and they don't want everyone to switch to whoever is winning.

I don't really like the controls though... Come on... It's 2010, why can't we map our own controls? If I want to mimic the controls of CoD:MW2 why can't I?

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I must say it has definitely cleaned up since the beta even the graphics have been kicked up a notch. I rather like the "pick a fraction and stick to it" it has going for it...it makes for excellent competition amongst the community which is happening all over the net. The load/drop in time has drop tremendously and it takes seconds to get into a game now. The game has been getting a lot of heat from the COD/Run Gunner type players because it adds a tactical element to the mix and some people just don't like following orders.

I'm glad to see the reviews are good, the servers are filled up and people are actually using their mic...good things.

S.V.E.R <----popular group, their guns are powerful and their maps are easy to defend hard to attack.

RAVEN <----Run and gunners, sniper campers

Valor <----SOCOM people and we got our own beer:D

Bless

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

S.V.E.R. All the way!!! Haha, for now at least. I am hesitant to put to much time into my character because I haven't even seen the others... but my brothers played the beta and all went S.V.E.R. so I doubt I'll end up switching.

15. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I might get this in a week or so, is everyone enjoying it? I think I'll play SVER, maybe Valor. I played as Valor in the beta, and want to try something new.

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm enjoying it. As someone who used to play the PC version of Battlefield 2 a lot, I'm finding it familiar in a good way. :D

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Valor man, SVER is filled up as it is and its map is incredibly easy to defend and a pain to capture...SVER has a good lead over RAVEN(ha ha ha:D ) and Valor but its due to how the map is structured. I'm not going to knock SVERs coordination because they have skills but its easy to win when you have all your bunkers lined up in one area surrounded by suppressive fire and alot of cover whiles the capturing team is out on the limb and have to use trees for cover.

Bless

18. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

after playing for 2 weeks i have to say the most unbalanced map has to be ravens aquicision map where the bunkers are like 10 meters from each other and with their "blow up points" facing inwards on the outmost bunkers with being inside of firing arcs of the other bunkers

while SVERs sabotage map has difficult A and B targets (hint: use the railway tunnel on A and the bridge or left side on B .. most of the time hardly guarded at all) it's C point is ridiculously easy to take.. as soon as A and B are lost on the sver map it's pretty much a given that C will fall within 5 minutes..

oh and 2nyRiggz i've done my 60 levels on SVER and went veteran mode to valor for collecting the trophies so we should be now on the same sides finally ;)

19. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

60 levels? You mean your character was level 60? I think I'm 14 or something. Haha

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Gezz man how did you level up so quick..I'm level 13. I had some good games over the weekend which I racked up at least five trophies on SEVR...it was sweet:D

Bless

21. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

semester break for students.. also as a medic you get mad points

it also helped that i nthe beginning sver having that 10% shadowwar bonus all the time
    also in domination a massive amount of points can be made .. my record is around 1100-1200 which helps a lot

don't forget that being around your targets double your points if either you are there or your enemy you shoot at is there

22. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Worth Purchasing? Considering Im always on MW2?

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've fallen in love with this game...only online game to top this for me is Team Fortress 2. I'd usually play the multiplayer for a week then give up on it(COD4, MW2, BFBC etc..) but MAG is too damn fun.

I've always said it but don't take reviews of a game too serious because I enjoy those "7.0-8.0" games more than I enjoyed the "89-perfect:rolleyes:" games.

I just love placing claymores down at my objective and watch the attacking team run to their death...I rack up some major Frago points:D

A few times last night players would pass right through me as I knife attack them and they would turn around knife me in the back:confused: ...and what the hell is up with SVER's SMG...I'M GETTING SNIPE BY IT...WTF?

Bless

24. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I've been a big Xbox guy and have MW2 for 360 and love it...

That said I was a big Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142 fan and MAG is right up my alley. It's awesome. I'd say it's worth purchasing for sure.

25. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I'm a pretty hardcore MW2 player, not sure if id like this game. Thoughts?