Mag safe adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brasiliangringo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

I hate the gimmicky mag safe adapter. Why ? They pull out from anything as light as a passing breeze. It's very annoying that such little force pulls it off. Apple, make stronger magnets !! Turn this gimmick into a less irritating safety feature which pulls from a caught foot and not from a passing fly landing on the cable !!:mad:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You know that disconnecting when someone trips over the power cable is one of the main reasons they switched to the Mag Safe (at least, according to their advertising campaign), right? After all it's kind of bad for your computer to tumble off the desk.

3. toyotaoffroadca macrumors newbie

You may want to stop by a Mac store and compare yours to some others as mine is quite stiff. In fact with the three times the cord had been tripped over since I got it, it has only come out once. The other two times the wall plug came out instead.

4. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I agree! The slightest turn in the recliner or lifting the laptop up to get out of the chair - any strange angle or bend on the cord causes the cable to detach. The same with the prongs into the wall. At first I thought my wall adapter was loose, so I replaced it. But its the prongs themselves, as they don't like to stay in any outlet with the weight of the adapter 'hanging there'. It was so bad that I made a stand at the perfect height so the adapter has a resting surface. Its very annoying and what I see to be an oversight by Apple.

Also, not sure if this is possible. But couldn't there be a 'port' to plug in the power adapter to either the left or right side of the laptop. I guess what I am saying is add a spot on the right side, near the CD slot, so that you don't have to drap the cable underneath the laptop. Apple knocked everything out perfectly, just wondering why no one thought of that??

5. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, the point is mine is way too sensitive.

Ok, so perhaps we can swap cables and ill take a chance with yours !!

Interesting . I presume they didnt check all plug types out there as i have uk mac which has a uk 3 prong plug which is very secure. I also have an adapter for European plugs which are a different kind of three prong - also very secure (seems there are many different types of plugs out there .. !!) interesting job for somone at apple to research before the next release ..

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its either that yours is too sensitive, or that you just won't like any MagSafe. You're going to have to compare yours to others. Try an Apple Store or just about any coffee shop.

I love it and the MagSafe has save two of my laptops from drops.

7. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps Apple could sell them according to the customer needs - ie by varying magnet strengths.

1. Totally hap-hazard.
    2. I have good and bad days.
    3. Feeling lucky.

In the meantime ill make do considering everything else is close to perfection :D

8. scottuf macrumors 6502

coming from an ibook and powerbook g4, i love the new magsafe. yes, it can get annoying that it pulls out easily at times, but it is much better than tripping over the old plug style and have it bend to the point of needing a new $79 adapter (yes i know 3rd party ones are cheaper, but that's not the point). no longer do i need to worry about damaging the plug, or the power port on the laptop like i used to.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you haven't noticed already, Apple isn't a company that's pro choice.

Also mine almost never falls out unexpectedly; and when it does, it's because someone tripped on the cable or something.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think it's a great improvement from the previous adaptor. One it prevents tripping and preventing damage to the adaptor and or the portable itself and the other is that we don't have to deal with stuck or broken pins. Yours could be too sensitive but I don't see the big problem if it falls out, just connect it again.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Tried using the 3-prong alternate cord that Apple includes in the box? Might be a bit easier than building a makeshift stand to hold up the adapter. Just an idea. ;)

12. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Didn't get one with my MBP. Apple Store didn't believe me.

13. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mean In terms of build options or accessories ?

14. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I LOVE the magsafe.

BUT

My 2008 MBP's (non-unibody) magsafe adapter is having issues. The green/orange LED no-longer works (or is barely visible), and i often have to pull it out and replace it a few times to start charging.
    My battery can be down to 20% and the thing won't charge till i give it a shake.

It hasn't had a hard life and is barely 14 months old. How much does a new adapter cost?