Mag-safe alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ladyhrvy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ladyhrvy macrumors member

My mag-safe started splitting the insulation within a month but my local Apple store would not replace. Gotten so bad I need to replace but I hesitate to buy one from same lousy folks who made this one. Does anyone know of a good alternative? TIA.

Marie

2. simsaladimbamba

Since the MagSafe adapter is patented to Apple, no.
    And why not try again, though via a different Apple representative, to get a one month old power brick exchanged?

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no sorry those lousy folks that made that one have the patten like the poster above has said

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There is a service bulletin for this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I had a problem with my MagSafe adapter and the Apple Store wouldn't replace it either. I called AppleCare support and explained my situation and they sent me a new one. Maybe give that a try?

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

They wouldn't replace mine (same fraying problem that EVERYBODY has), either because it wasn't the original power adapter and I had long since chucked it in the trash. My MBP is now on its FOURTH MagSafe adapter, all of them out of pocket replacements.

The newer revision "L" shaped connector looks to be more durable than the old "T" connector though, for what it's worth. My last three MagSafe adapters were all the old "T" style, so I guess only time will tell with this one...

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That Apple holds the patent isn't particularly relevant, they just haven't licensed it to any other manufacturers.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Not everybody - only the careless ones! :)

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Careless? I beg to differ. Carelessness usually doesn't warrant recalls from the manufacturer. I was denied a replacement on a technicality; had to cough up another $80 plus tax. I wasn't exactly happy about that.

It's poor strain relief design, plain and simple. I've owned several PC and pre-MagSafe Apple laptops (G3s, G4s) in the past and have never once experienced their cords fraying apart like my MagSafe "T" adapters have.

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Just FYI, none of my MagSafe 'T' based machines have any fraying at all. I have an old machine, and it's almost perfect. My old MB had it and never had a problem after years of day to day use.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Having dealt with Apple on a number of issues, I can state without fear of contradiction that it is a wonderful company to deal with. If their people even suspect that the problem is Apple's fault, then they do what they can as quickly as they can to make the buyer whole. I am aware of a problem with the MagSafe "T" connector. My 2009 MacBook Pro shipped with this type of connector. Here it is more than three years later and I have not a hint of fraying. My MagSafe connector shows not a hint of fraying.

From everything that you say, it sounds like the "technicality" that resulted in your being denied a free replacement is that Apple determined that you are deliberately abusive to your equipment. And, I'm being kind.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Really? I guess I'll just tell you that my experience at the genius bar at the Apple store was not exactly pleasant. I dealt with the manager and was told that I was lying and there was no service extension. I even showed him the link to the service extension, and I was told that it didn't apply.

After that, I called Applecare and within a couple days I had a new adapter on my doorstep. They even included a pre-paid shipping label so I could return the defective one.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So your problem was solved, but you continue to complain? Um-m-m-m.

13. T5BRICK, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My problem was solved only after I wasted a trip to the Apple store. I'm simply pointing out that your wonderful dealings with Apple obviously aren't always the norm. I am contradicting you.

Besides all that, there is obviously an issue with the product if Apple has issued a recall and redesigned the parts. I certainly didn't abuse mine, and it still failed. The replacement I got had a much more robust strain relief on the A/C adapter end of the cable than my original.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've had a number of "wtf" experiences with Apple customer support over the years, but on the whole I've gotten what I wanted. It really depends on who you talk to ... a lot of the instances in which I ran into a bad Apple were resolved by calling back and getting another operator or seeing a different "Genius."

15. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Actually, the technicality was that my power adapter wasn't the original that came with the machine (but rather, a separately purchased one) and that since that particular adapter was over a year old, they wouldn't replace it. But somehow, it would have been A-OK if was the original shipping adapter (that has long since been tossed). In the end, I wanted my computer to work again, so I bought a new one...again.

And just because you haven't had any problems with your MagSafe "T" adapters doesn't mean the others that have had problems (clearly, enough of us for Apple to issue a warranty extension) are blatantly abusive to their equipment. I'm certainly not. I use my MBP for its intended purpose: for computing on the road. It's not like I'm yanking cords out of it or tossing it around carelessly. It certainly has a few small scratches in its case, but no dents, cracks, etc. that would be caused by drops - it's never been dropped.

My "T" connectors have all frayed at the same spot, and I can only assume it's at least partially caused by the strain relief coming apart over time when the cord is wound around the cable management "wings" built into the brick. There's also more pressure on the cord going into the connector on "T" adapters because the cord sticks straight out, perpendicularly from the machine.

The "L" adapters seem a lot more robust in comparison. The cord is thicker and there's less stress on the cord going into the connector barrel, since it runs parallel to its connection point on the computer. I suspect this new "L" adapter I bought will last years.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sounds like a euphemism for abuse. FWIW, I own to MagSafe connectors--the original "T" connector and the replacement "L" connector to address the problems reported by others with the "T" connector. Each works like new with no signs of fraying.

My advice to you is not to cop an attitude until after you have managed to pawn-off the replacement adapter as the original.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I swear you're just here trying to argue. Other people have had a different experience than you have. What exactly is so difficult to believe than that?

I've owned several MacBook Pros, with them two "T" style adapters that never had a problem, and 1 that frayed like many others. I know at least one family member who has also had trouble with their MagSafe adapter, although in that case I can't say if it was abuse.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is not nice to swear. It is also not terribly smart to jump-in to defend someone who has already indicated that he asked for a free replacement for a non-original MagSafe adapter.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not defending anyone, you began this conversation with me previously.

Honestly, weather or not it was from the original computer doesn't matter. It is still covered under the replacement program.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

"This QP will cover strain relief for a period of three years after the purchase of an adapter with computer or a standalone adapter, or until May 21, 2012, whichever date is later."

Apple SHOULD cover the replacement, as stated under their own published documentation.

20. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Referring to the above, it is worth noting:
    "Apple may provide customers a replacement adapter if the power adapter shows signs of strain relief....."

And also:
    ".......you can take your adapter to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. Pending the results of evaluation, you may or may not be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge."

These provisos cover the point regarding careless usage.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have an adaptor that came with my 2010 Macbook that just died on me last night. I think it was from bending the cord too much where it comes out of the plug that connects to the computer. It would cut in and out sometimes while holding the MB and last night, it quit working all together. I am using the T shaped adaptor that came with my 2008 black MB now and it works to this day perfectly with no damage to the cord at all.

The adaptor that came with my 2010 MB has no visible damage to it, it just quit working.