Mag safe charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boateng, Feb 14, 2014.

1. boateng macrumors 6502

Hi all

I have had my macbook pro for about 1 year and a half and i have apple care...

Basically my mag safe charger, is starting the ware away, like a bit of the rubber wire has come off, the part that goes into the mains...

Should i just buy a new one as Apple won't replace it or should i phone them up and see what they say?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ring them. Generally there good as gold and FYI your charger is covered under AppleCare too.

3. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

okay i will ring them tomorrow and see

what should i say

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can start with what you said in your first post…

5. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i rang them this morning

They said they will replace it but they said you have to pay £65, and when you receive your new charger, you send your old one back and once they receive that they will refund you your money

TBH i think i might as well just go to the apple store and replace it there?

Do the genius bar give problems?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I've seen warranty replacements with those arrangements from other companies.
    Unless I am wrong, you are not charged, unless the old part is not returned in time.
    They ask for your credit card number, send you the replacement, and you have a limited time to return the old part before your card is charged. If you return the old part, then your card is never charged. They would usually have a pre-paid shipping label for that return, too.
    That sounds easier than going out to an Apple store - unless your Apple store is local to you, and you can do the swap sooner.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above it's purely a holding fee till the parts received. They do the same with iPhones

8. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple store is like an hour away from me, but what I am worried about is will they say its my fault that the charger is fraying? I have apple care like i said?
    Over the phone they obviously can't see the charger but in store they can/

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So, you go into the store, and tell them that AppleCare was going to replace your power adapter, but you didn't want to wait that long, and you want to replace in store. Should be no problem, and I think you are worried when you don't need to be...
    If you are still concerned, even without going to the store, let AppleCare do it for you…
    And, of course, AppleCare DOES get to see your old charger, when you return it to them.
    (I don't want to muddy up your decision by reminding you that AppleCare DOES see your old part when they get it back. They already will have your your credit card info, and can charge you back if there's visible accidental damage to the old part. Unlikely, but could happen)
    And, you are just guessing about what the Apple Store will do for you. If AppleCare had some question about your part, they would direct you to an Apple Store, too.