Mag Safe gone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brewmonkey, Nov 3, 2016.

1. brewmonkey macrumors regular

Of all the changes in the new Pro lineup, the lack of Mag Safe bewilders me perhaps more than anything else. If I had a dollar for every time I or somebody else accidentally tripped/bumped/snagged my power cord causing it to harmlessly disconnect from my MBP instead of sending it crashing to the floor, well, then I could probably actually afford one of the MBPs.

Any insights into how this incredibly beloved feature got the axe?

2. nomoresecrets macrumors member

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I didn't like how MagSafe was hardwired to the brick. It was poorly constructed. Only lasts about a year before you have to clunk a big wad of cash to replace or fix with solder and tape.

I would love a revised MagSafe cable that breaks at half of the jack, leaving it in. If it ever wears out, all you have to do is replace the cable and not the brick.

4. leesam macrumors newbie

5. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

I'm assuming you're chewing on your cord or something. SO 2011 MBP MagSafe still going strong after 5 years. My 2015 hasn't seen any damage to date. I also don't run cords over with lawnmowers and the likes. =P

6. jerryk macrumors 68040

Some one posted a picture of magnetically held USB-C cable.

One thing good about Apple is they leave a lot of holes where 3rd party vendors can innovate.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I the weight of the laptop got too low to have the magnet reliably disconnect. With the 11" air half of the time if one of my dogs tripped over the cord the computer would move. Any weaker magnets probably would have ended up with too many accidental disconnects.

8. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I constantly use it in all sorts of environments and work situations. Some people leave it on their desk 24/7. Your mileage may vary.

10. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I own four MagSafe adapters. Two of them need tiny magnetic dongles to work with my MBP, because Apple changed the MacSafe connector at one point. The dongles are awful, awful, awful. If you forget to bring it or lose it, your laptop's dead in the water. Same with the DP to HDMI dongle.

I'm not "anti-USB Type-C", but it's terrible to remove all the connectors and the MagSafe. I won't buy this laptop. My current macpro Retina lets me attach a mouse, my thunderbolt dock, SD cards, my MagSafe, USB 3.0 hard drives, and hdmi displays. I'd need new hardware for ALL THAT STUFF if I buy this new Mac. Forget it!

11. brewmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

12. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

You shouldn't have to buy that crap to make your $1,700 laptop work like the old one it replaced. When Apple replaced MagSafe with MagSafe 2, they sold little magnetic adapters like that one. They pop off all the time. They're very easy to lose.

13. brewmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Since I started using MBPs extensively in early 2009 (generally getting the new generation as often as they were available), I have never had a Mag Safe adapter/cable/jack fray, wear out, or malfunction. I've seen these reports of many people having problems with them (especially the fraying), and I definitely feel bad for them, but I can't understand why I've never had a single issue with my heavy usage of many, many of them. Weird.

14. jjlannoo Suspended

You could come home and connect all of that stuff with a single cable now. I would say thats an improvement. Your a glass half empty guy tho.

15. brewmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I generally agree...but at this point, I think some of us are just trying to ease the pain. :(

I have some of those Mag Safe to Mag Safe 2 adapters. I have never had any problems with mine.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    The weight consideration is an interesting argument. I'm not convinced half a pound will make that much difference on the MBP 15, but maybe.

Personally, I'll be very interested to see how many people's new MBPs suffer fall damage as a result of this change. Based on my experience over many years, I would certainly have had several MBPs suffer damage if the Mag Safe hadn't popped loose on numerous occasions. I can't imagine I'm the only one with that experience.

16. Macalway macrumors 68020

They got rid of it because it offended their artistic sensibilities

Seriously

17. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

No... I use a Thunderbolt dock at work. I totally get it. But when I undock my laptop and go to a conference room, I need HDMI. And HDMI with a dongle stinks. Who wants to carry one of those around the office all day?

18. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

True. SO tends to beat their computer up, once even pounding it on the floor "to get it to work right" (not the 2011 MBP). >.<

19. Softwarez macrumors member

The loss of MagSafe makes me sad, but the benefits of USB Type-C charging are evident.

1. Universal standard port. Any time Apple chooses a universal standard over a proprietary design is a win in my books.

2. Can be plugged into either side of laptop.

3. Easily replaceable cable that doesn't require replacing power brick.

4. Profit margins. Probably cheaper giving out a simple cable than a rare earth metal neodymium magnet.

5. Putting charging capabilities into existing ports results in a smaller motherboard. The savings are tiny, but Apple's obsession with thinness means they'll take whatever they can get.

6. Laptop might be too thin for MagSafe 2. Would require a redesigned MagSafe 3 connector which would cause similar amounts of anger. Might as well push towards a power connector that won't be changing for years to come.

The benefits outweigh the drawbacks. So, a simple engineering decision was made.

20. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

I agree...USB-C for charging is fine. No issues with it and been using it on the rMB for a while now.

Lack of USB-A and HDMI are both issues when you need to use them and can't find the dongle. I accept the issues because of the portability of the rMB.

21. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Except that there was definitely room for them. I use HDMI almost daily in conference rooms and at presentations and carrying around a dongle with my MacBook Air was no good.

22. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

It can get frustrating carrying dongles. Like you i've been doing it for a while now as well when I've needed VGA.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Also, all the out-of-warranty body work when dogs, kids, etc drag the laptop off the table/counter.

Seriously, this is the everyman feature Apple should have kept. The only people who don't like MagSafe as far as I can tell are reviewers.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1. Apple should have made a USB-C magsafe cable; like Griffin did.
    2. See answer 1
    3. See answer 1
    4. A genuinely useful feature which will attract people is profitable for Apple. Of course charging people to replace their dented cases is very profitable as well.
    5. See answer 1
    6. See answer 1

Based on my answer 1, what drawback do you see vs its benefits.

25. cmaier macrumors G4

I just asked our IT guy to stick the required adapters in drawers in each conference room. Worked out fine.