Mag safe intermittent on/off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 8CoreWhore, May 20, 2011.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I'm not sure when this started but, I noticed yesterday that the light on my mag safe is sometimes off and my power info then shows me on battery.

I've tried different AC outlets, I fiddled with it etc... sometimes it's on sometimes it's off.

Anyone experience such a thing?

2. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yep. With two different adaptors so far. The first time, it was the spring-loaded pins inside the magsafe end that had lost their springiness to the point that they no longer made contact with the points on the computer. The second time, it was the points on the plug end that stopped making reliable contact.

If it's for your 2011 macbook, don't even worry about it for another minute. Call Apple and tell them what it's doing and they'll send you a replacement.

4. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

might be redundant, but last time it happened to me, i used canned air to blow out each side of the connection - worked for me.

good luck on this.

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's easier to just walk into an Apple Store, show them, and walk out with a new plug. Apple Care has to take your credit card information, mail you a new one, and you have to mail your old one back to them. Depending on how close you are to one, it's just easier (and faster) to have an Apple Store swap it out.

6. PT123 macrumors member

100% agree with the above. I've gone through 2 now as well, since 2010. The voltage converters seem to be pretty fragile. Just bring it down to the store and they will hand you a new one over the counter. They didn't even look at my serial number.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

For sure, assuming you have an Apple Store within a reasonable distance. Although going through Apple Care is a little easier than you're indicating, IMO. You call and they take your info, yes. Then they Fedex overnight you a replacement. Then you put your old one in the box they send you the new one in. You then rip off the address label on the box, and underneath it there is a second label which has Apple's address on it. You then either drop it in a Fedex drop box or hand it to a driver. Pretty easy. The worst part is sitting on hold until they pick up your call.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've already checked out your adapter, try resetting the SMC. Instructions in the following link under CHARGING. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. hvgotcodes macrumors member

i had this happen, for me it was the white cord got loose where it entered the mag safe connecter. Brought into an apple store and they replaced it.

10. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

OK, Got New Cord

So, at 8:45 I was about to set up a Genius appointment online. But then thought, heck - if it's just the cord, maybe I can get it right now. I have 15 minutes before they close. :D

So, 11 minutes later I wander into the store 4 minutes before closing, of course they said no one can look at it - understandable... but I begged a little - the guy (not a Genius) gets permission from his manager... if it's just the cord, go ahead. Cool.

He plugs the MBP into an available cord and it works, the MBP is charging. Then, he uses my cord... nope. Dead.

He does what he has to do in the system, and gives me a new cord. :D

They did NOT have to see me at that time... so I really appreciate it.

It works fine now.

Thing is, my broken one had no visible sign of problems. The pins were fine, the cord was not frayed, etc. Strange. A 1 in a million defect - it happens.

Thanks guys!

11. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I just had one replaced, and it definitely was not overnight delivery. It took 3 days to arrive, and I had been told on the phone it could take 5. I know they used to do overnight, I don't know if I just got a bastard rep, or they've changed their policy, but it took much longer this last time. I also hate giving my credit card information out for things like that. Obviously if a person lives in the boonies, it's a fair option, but if you live near one, 10 minutes in the Apple Store is painless. No credit cards, no shipping wait.

Awesome, glad it worked out. And yeah, it's super quick at the G-Bar.

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Interesting. I got one overnighted just last week.