Mag Safe sometimes not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Barney63, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Over the past 2 days I have noticed on 3 occasions that the LED on the Mag Safe has gone out.
    I've jiggled it about and the LED has come back on.
    On one occasion the battery was charging, on the other two it was fully charged.
    Is there any known problems like this?
    Do I need to report it to Apple?

Barney

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Out of curiosity, is this only with the MagSafe facing down towards the ports or away from the Mac towards the back? Sometimes if it is a specific way that consistently is touchy it is a dirt buildup. Try using a fresh and new soft toothbrush and gently clean both the port and the MagSafe itself and also reset the SMC.

3. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I can't tell, it is the latest 60W T Mag Safe, I don't think one side is distinguishable from the other.

Barney

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Should have read your signature. I was assuming this was an original L-Style MagSafe adapter, my mistake. Anyhow, try the toothbrush idea and also reset the PRAM and SMC.

To reset the PRAM, shutdown the MacBook and hold CMD OPT P R at the same time and hit the power button. Continue holding until you hear the chime the third time. Some say the triple reset is unnecessary but it is always what I do.

Let it start and then reset the SMC by following the instructions here.

5. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

This morning when I went to put it back on charge it didn't work either way around.
    I had to jiggle it to get it going.
    I have a fibre pen somewhere, so I will dig it out and clean the contacts on both the lead and the MBP.
    I would be surprised if they are dirty though as it is only a month old.

Barney

6. Cooee!, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

Cooee! macrumors member

Cooee!

This also happens to me, although mine is a 45W magsafe 2 which came with my macbook air. My macbook is now 6 months old, and this began just last month. I think I dropped the connector once, which damaged the aluminum a little bit. (It's unnoticeable) Although it happens very rarely, it still annoys me.

7. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Mine has definitely seen no trauma.
    I've given it a clean now, now I just have to see if it goes off again.

Barney

8. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

This happens to my late 2013 13" rmbp too, it's annoying. I have to plug and unplug it and wiggle a little till it works.

9. skinny*k macrumors regular

If cleaning doesn't help, take it back to Apple. Sometimes, the contact springs are too weak to push the pins enough for good contact. if its only a month old, Apple should replace it. :)

10. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I'll have a ride out one day this week.
    I think there may be something not quite right with my WiFi so they can take a peek at that too.

Barney

11. trocLas macrumors newbie

Sorry to ask but what is wrong with your WiFi? Hope everything gets fixed!

12. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

When browsing the internet a page will start to load and the blue bar goes about 1/3 of the way across the address bar and stops. Re loading solves it 1 in 10 times but usually I have to log off 5GHz and log onto 2.4GHz or vice versa.
    At first I thought it was just the 5GHz signal but it does it just as often on 2.4GHz.

Barney