Mag sage cracked and not charging properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Husky1992, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Husky1992 macrumors regular

Husky1992

Hi
    I have a 13'' Mid 2012 MBP
    Last year I exchanged the power brick because of the yellow/green fading light on the magsafe. The problem NEVER went away, btw it was working fine apart from the led on the connector which isn't a major problem.
    Now it's about a month or two that the L shape magsafe only works properly when it is attached with the cable pointing backwards, if I connect it the other way, as soon as I move the cable, it stops charging.
    And now as you can see on the photos the end of the wire is becoming to crack.

On monday I have an appointment for exchanging the power brick (again) but I'm afraid that the female connector on the MBP has ruined and it's that that is causing problems with charging.
    Do you have experience on the plastic around the 5 Mac connectors ruining letting the computer not to charge properly?
    thaks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Go get it exchanged. Warranty should cover it.

My t-shaped MagSafe didn't do that, but the light was fading in and out and losing connection. My lightening cable also bunched up and started losing connection. My only apple cable without issues is my 30-pin for my iPod classic, but it doesn't get used as much.

3. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

do you think there could be a problem with the inner plastic on the mac connector? I remember that the charging problem started 5 month since I've bought it and even after replacing the brick for the led problem, the charging issue didn't went away!

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Unfortunately I'm no expert. Bring it in to Apple and they can test it.

5. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

I've just found out that you SHOULD NOT position the L SHAPE mag safe with the wire running aside the I/O ports! read here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630?viewlocale=en_US

btw I'm gonna complain because on the 3 page instruction that came with the mac there isn't this thing, and I assume that everybody uses it both ways...

6. marvin4653 macrumors regular

Over the course of only one year since you received a replacement power cable, how did you manage to already create a crack in the cable jacket?

The problem you're describing--only being able to charge the computer if the MagSafe connector is oriented in a particular way--almost certainly is the result of a damaged power cable. Power cables are not damaged because the cable is routed alongside the I/O ports, they are damaged by putting too much stress on the cables. Routing the cable alongside the I/O ports may increase the likelihood that a user will strain the cable when attempting to disconnect it from the computer, but does not inherently damage the cable.

These power cables do seem to be surprisingly easy to damage, but you simply need to take care to avoid straining them when disconnecting them from your computer and when wrapping up the cables using the plastic prongs that swing out from the transformer.

There is no reason that a cable should develop cracks in the jacket after only one year of use, unless you were reckless toward its care, or the cable was defective. I'm guessing it's not the latter.

7. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

I am VERY careful with the cable, for example I've NEVER wrapped the cable on the prongs of the brick because I know it causes stress on the cable, the L shape has been used in my opinion very reasonably as I control every time to see if it's doing weird turns

8. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992