Magazine/Newspaper Publishing: iMac or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nms, Mar 19, 2009.

1. nms macrumors member

nms

I'm editor of a student newspaper, and I'm not sure whether to put an iMac or a Mac Pro in my equpment proposal. Minus keyboard and mouse, etc, the top-end iMac comes out at roughly the same price as the entry-level Mac Pro.

Any recommendations?

If all goes to plan, I'd be using CS4 to publish a newspaper with magazine supplement.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't think you'd see any sort of massive performance difference between the two machines for what you want to do. I also don't think you really need to buy the top end iMac either. The 24" model with the GTX 120 should do what you want it to just fine.

Also, avoid buying Apple's mice. They are terrible and will really frustrate you when you are doing precision work in CS4. Get something from Logitech or Microsoft instead.

That said, the Apple keyboards are fantastic.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You do not need a top-end iMac, and you certainly don't need a Mac Pro. I'd look at the two mid-range iMacs. The graphics card won't make a huge difference, but if you can afford it, it is a better card.

FWIW, I laid out my entire high school yearbook using eMacs. So any modern computer will get along just fine.