Magazines about Mac programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Bill McEnaney, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Hi everybody,

Do you know of any magazines where authors introduce Mac users to various programming languages? I want to write some articles about the Prolog programming language , but I don't know whether they would interest any Mac users.

Thanks.

Bill

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I read one once but it was crap. Not sure if it exists anymore at least not in paper format. Makes more sense for it to be on the web anyway.

Prolog isn't Mac specific so I don't think there is a reason to target Mac centric programming audience which as going to be more obj-c or c++ focused anyway.

I recommend just starting a blog. Or maybe write one on a blog that has multiple prolog articles already.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Magazine? on programming? How 1980s. :p I had plenty of "Compute!," "Byte" and similar rags back then.

I agree with what Hansr said, find an appropriate blog.

B

4. subsonix macrumors 68040

The most tech oriented I know of is Mactech, they regularly write about topics close to programming and sys-administration and so on.

Check the table of content in the issues here and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.mactech.com/issue-TOCs-2010

5. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Ahh, memories.

If you really want to publish in a magazine, perhaps Dr. Dobbs. It's not not Mac-centric, though.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sadly, even Dr. Dobbs no longer exists in print according to Wikipedia, it's just a monthly section in InformationWeek.

Saw 2600 at Barnes & Noble some time ago though...

B

7. Bill McEnaney, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm fairly new to Macs because I'm a Solaris guy. So maybe I should find a journal that's not Mac-specific.

A blog? That's a good idea, but a blog probably won't pay me a cent. I'm planning to write an article for Opera News because opera is my passion. A book called The Writer's Market says that magazine pays about $450 to $1,200 a manuscript. Sometimes it's good to linger in the publisher's Jurassic Period where readers still recognize paper when they see it. :D

8. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

I probably would love that magazine. Thanks. Maybe its readers would rather learn a Scheme-like scripting language.

9. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

The Writer's Market, a book I mentioned in another post, describes only one Mac magazine that may be the crappy one.

10. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

The C/C++ User's Journal is still a paper magazine, I think. I might subscribe to it, too, if I learn to like C, C++, Objective-C, and languages like them. Before I do that, someone will say, "C#? How 2000s." :p

11. balamw, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unfortunately .... not.

EDIT: Seriously, have you considered self-publishing via Kindle or iBooks? Charge $0.99 for the articles. You will have a better shot at reaching readers (If you get 1000 readers, you net $700) than in print.

B

12. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

I love that idea, balamw. Thanks. I've hard that to sell a Kindle book at Amazon.com, companies need to sign a complex contract. But I don't know what I would need to sign to sell self-published Kindle books, or iBooks, that way. I read Kindle books with my iMac.