Magazines, Books and News Papers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by briankwest77, May 20, 2010.

1. briankwest77 macrumors member

I'm not sure anyone has noticed this... but I think its rather silly to have a multiple number of apps for the magazines you wish to subscribe to installed on your iPad, Each one giving its own user experience. Zinio has the right idea and I enjoy those but I don't feel the need to install GQ, Mens Helth and Popular Science and then have four places to manage magazine subscriptions.

Same with News Papers... WHY can't they get together and have a single place to subscribe to Magazines and News Papers?

/b

2. aduteau macrumors 6502a

For news papers, try "Press Reader" app, its like having Zinio ... but for all international news papers around the world being put online every morning (a month worth of news papers (30 issues) is worth 10$) Sweet deal if you ask me !
    :)

3. rickeames macrumors regular

Huh? I just looked in the app store -- no such app called "Press Reader."

edit - one word pressreader

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I downloaded PressReader and then 2 newspapers. I wasn't charged for the newspapers. How does that work? Are you only charged if you download a certain number of issues?

5. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Don't the separate apps allow for custom interactive magazines to be created?

There's only a couple of magazines I might be interested in receiving so the separate apps doesn't bother me so much.

I hazard to guess publishers will be quite slow in really taking advantage of the digital format.

6. Salsero58 macrumors newbie

The first 7 downloads are free, afterwards you need to pay.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The main objection that I have with Zinio, which I have and use, is that you download each page as you read it. Page forward or back, or want to skip to another page and you have to wait for the download again. This also eats up your battery.

Overall I think the idea of magazines on an iPad is a great idea, I subscribe to an English boating magazine and the photos just blown you away. Even when you zoom in. I do agree with the individual apps as they will ultimately give a level of interaction that will be amazing.

8. briankwest77 thread starter macrumors member

I don't want that... I want to read it not watch it. plus most interactive magazines suck... zinio has the right amount and it's not in your face.

/b

9. mayassa macrumors regular

10. briankwest77 thread starter macrumors member

totally false. it downloads it all and keeps it on the device.

/b

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Oh, okay . . . thanks!

12. steel magnolia macrumors regular

With Zinio you need to let the magazine download once completely, takes a minute or so, you can see progress bar if you tap on screen. Once downloaded that mag renders pages almost instantly since last update. Hope this helps!

With pressReader, the newspapers download and once downloaded you do not have to be connected to read, the paper looks exactly like the paper edition you would have delivered to your home. You can purchase subscriptions or in app purchase for single edition, you have to register for subscriptions.

Patty

13. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Zinio works really well as long as you give it the time it needs to download the issue in full. The only thing that I don't like about Zinio is the lack of mags on the service.

14. Macdicted macrumors regular

Pressreader is $9.99 per month per paper.

No way , like the experience but way too high.

15. aduteau macrumors 6502a

Way too high for 30 issues ??? Lower then that is hard to find, You want it free ? lol

16. RedLlamma macrumors newbie

I don't see the point in paying so much money for a magazine app when I can get the content on their webpage for free. The user experience is not quite as interactive but it's a hell of a lot cheaper

17. steel magnolia macrumors regular

From my understanding, pressreader is 9.99 for 31 credits...you can mix the issues you want to download. I like the 29.99 subscription because I love reading and newspapers and that gives me unlimited downloads of any paper per month( and there are over a thousand)

If you just want to do an in app buy for a paper, it's .99 cents per paper. You get 7 free downloads to try before you either buy in app or subscribe online.

Just a note....I am not affiliated with this company at all, just really happy with the app/services!

Patty

18. Macdicted macrumors regular

Well lets see , I get a years worth of my local paper delivered for $35....

So yes a digital copy for $120 a year seems rather high to me. :rolleyes:

19. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Wow you get a really good subscription rate, for that price I can see why you aren't interested in the digital rates. I can't get a sub for less than 9.99 a month so it works for me.

Patty

20. Battlestar macrumors 6502

I agree there should be one app for publications. Right now we have an ABC app for their shows, soon NBC App, CBS App, Fox App and so on instead of just one Video Network App.

Too Many Apps!!!

21. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Are there adult magazines on Zinio, and can you buy them using the iPad app?

Not...that I am planning to. Just curious. Yeah.

22. aduteau macrumors 6502a

What .... a YEAR worth of print copy from journals for 35$ ... my god !!!!
    Up here best deal is 20$ a month ! (and thats a cheap news paper !!!:eek: )
    Man I dont know where you are living ... but don't move !!! lol

23. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Under 4.0 you can just put them into folders for TV shows, magazines, etc. Then maybe it will be less of a problem.

24. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Anyone find it odd that TV, far more expensive to produce and Internet is Free to consume yet magazines and newspapers loaded with advertising is pay? Stop paying for information! Companies make enough off advertisers. There are no printing and distribution costs yet they charge and people pay. I for one will not pay for news directly.

25. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I will pay for magazines, but never for news.