Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
So far I've seen concept videos for Sports Illustrated and Wired. I've read about the Wall Street Journal developing one as well.

Is there any information on when these ipad mags will be available, and any additional ones that are under development?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
That brings up an interesting question - will they come out as apps (like NYT and WSJ are already) or will they come out as subscriptions through a reader app (like the kindle or BN reader apps)?

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
That brings up an interesting question - will they come out as apps (like NYT and WSJ are already) or will they come out as subscriptions through a reader app (like the kindle or BN reader apps)?

I was asking myself the same thing ...
I guess they will all be separate apps !

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
That info has been hazy at best. My guess are that they will be applications? I'm not entirely sure though.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Yea not much information on that front. It's definitely smart for Apple to start talking, or at least start funneling us some information.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Magazines on the ipad would seem to be a no-brainer; in fact, it would almost certainly make me buy one (I may buy one regardless) If all of the magazines that I subscribe to (and I subscribe to a ton) were somehow available for download to the ipad, it would make sense on so many levels. I would assume that my subscription costs would be significantly lower since there would be no printing and mailing costs and it would eliminate lot of waste since so many people can't be bothered to recycle. I'm not sure how much I spend on magazine subscriptions per year but I would venture to guess it's at least $500. If those costs could even be trimmed in half it would just about pay for the top-of-the-line ipad with wifi and 3g within 3 years or so. I know that's a long time in the tech world but I would definitely get my money's worth in other ways as well.

supersize

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2004
Does anyone know if magazine content on the Ipad will be available offline? So would you download the whole magizine and then be able to read it on a plane or will they just be a gateway to the online versions. I've seen the Wired and SI demos video and I imagine they would be a pretty big downloads for each issue.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Does anyone know if magazine content on the Ipad will be available offline? So would you download the whole magizine and then be able to read it on a plane or will they just be a gateway to the online versions. I've seen the Wired and SI demos video and I imagine they would be a pretty big downloads for each issue.

No one knows anything for sure, but my best educated guess would be that they will be available offline. I doubt the files will be huge seeing as the bulk of the content will just be text and pictures with the occasional animation or video thrown in. But again no publishers are talking so we have no way of knowing for sure.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
I was asking myself the same thing ...

I think our uncertainty and confusion are shared by the magazine industry itself.

Everybody seems to sense the potential here. But nobody seems to have figured out what to do with it. Even companies like Condé Nast, which seems prepared to go all-in, have been hazy about the details.

For that matter, even the New York Times, which had reps up there on stage at the product announcement, is reportedly still anguishing in-house about how much to charge for access -- and they may be farther down the road than anybody else in the publishing business.

So, educated guess time.

• Big magazines, and smaller tech-savvy magazines, will probably develop custom iPad apps.

• Subscribers (paid and otherwise) will be able to download most content automatically whenever an update is available and read it offline.

• Most but not all: I suspect that large video files and the like will require a live internet connection. If you're online when you click to view the video, you'll see it right away. Otherwise you'll get some kind of prompt to go online to view this content.

• So it's a mixed picture. A publication like The New Yorker, which is mostly text and pictures, will be totally downloadable and viewable offline. Something like Sports Illustrated, which may have lots of game highlight videos and other cool things, will require you to be online.

But really, at this point, nobody knows -- and perhaps more to the point, the people at The New Yorker don't know what Harper's is going to do, and Sports Illustrated doesn't know what ESPN is up to. This is an industry (trust me -- I just did my taxes, and a plurality of my income last year came from freelance magazine writing) where the ONE THING every editor cares about is what every other damn editor is planning for the next issue.

These are pretty smart and hip and design-conscious people. But they work for organizations that have stripped themselves down to bare fighting weight over the past few years, mostly because competition from new media has cut drastically into ad revenue and, often, circulation. So now you've got the weird situation where there are exciting new possibilities to think about, but no one on staff being paid to think about them.

JimTigerPT

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
My guess is that there will be limited availability at first but as times goes by and gets more and more popular, this will EXPLODE and be HUGE! Give it 6 months and then compare the availability from day 1.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
They want to keep things on the low. Because they have comption and don't want them know what they are doing.

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
One of my fears is that all the websites (and magazines) will start having their own app. I'm scared that'll be the precedence set. I don't want pages of apps for each magazine. I really hope it all integrates in iBooks at some point. It's kind of like all my bookmarks will become apps.

Morro Bay

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Northern California
So, educated guess time.

• Big magazines, and smaller tech-savvy magazines, will probably develop custom iPad apps.

• Subscribers (paid and otherwise) will be able to download most content automatically whenever an update is available and read it offline.

• Most but not all: I suspect that large video files and the like will require a live internet connection. If you're online when you click to view the video, you'll see it right away. Otherwise you'll get some kind of prompt to go online to view this content.

• So it's a mixed picture. A publication like The New Yorker, which is mostly text and pictures, will be totally downloadable and viewable offline. Something like Sports Illustrated, which may have lots of game highlight videos and other cool things, will require you to be online

I think you have a pretty good insight of how it will work. On my Kindle, magazines update whenever a new issue is available. Of course, no video files, and very very few pictures, which are in low resolution black and white. Once the magazine is downloaded, you can turn the whispernet (3G) off and read at your leisure.

Any video files for the ipad will probably either be viewable when your wifi/3G is on or the large files will be downloaded to your ipad and saved. We will probably find out more once the ipad is released.

Best to all.

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
Magazines on the ipad would seem to be a no-brainer; in fact, it would almost certainly make me buy one (I may buy one regardless) If all of the magazines that I subscribe to (and I subscribe to a ton) were somehow available for download to the ipad, it would make sense on so many levels.

I actually stopped buying magazines years ago. It seemed that the content had dwindled to a fraction of what it once was and what you got between the front and back cover was about 90% advertising. I have always assumed that was because the magazines couldn't afford to pay writers and researchers and the people who test products like cars and audio equipment because of falling subscriptions. I chalked the falling subscriptions up to competing distractions like the internet, video games, and home theater.

So do we have the chicken and the egg. Did the content disappear as the readers walked away? Or did the readers walk away because the publishers got stingy with the content? In either case, I think the iPad would be a great way to read my favorite magazines again. But.....while Apple is lining up the deals with publishers, the publishers better be lining up deals for some decent writers and fill their electronic pages with good stuff or they can continue to suck wind as far as I'm concerned. I will gladly pay for good content but I won't pay a dime for one page opinion pieces written by hacks and wrapped in advertising. Just my two cents worth.

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
Greatly looking forward to dynamic periodical content and eschew the old static print medium.
Apple can tout saving trees and the 'green thing' to boot.

I'm ready on day one to move my subs to iPad:

National Geographic
Condé Nast Traveler
Wired
Popular Mechanics
Smithsonian
Car & Driver
Roundel (BMWCCA Club Mag, not holding my breath).

Glad I pre-ordered the 64GB. :)

Bring it publishers!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I agree that magazines in the iBookstore would be huge. I used to subscribe to several, but the clutter was getting out of hand. It would be nice to be able to access past issues and its just a matter of disk space (hoping it can be backed up on my desktop). Something tells me Apple has considered this, but in the end its up to the magazine publishers.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Does anyone really want to read their ipad on the can, though? That's how I go through my EW and TV Guide

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
Does anyone really want to read their ipad on the can, though? That's how I go through my EW and TV Guide

Absolutely! I've already installed a "library" pouch next to the toilet. The iPad will have its own holster right next to the pork rind jar and the Mountain Dew dispenser. :eek:

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I'm pretty sure that the magazines will be in the AppStore (or the iBook Store) As soon as the iPad ships out to people.

Also, I'm pretty sure that GQ and Rolling Stone will be making apps for the iPad, since their magazine is in the AppStore right now (iPhone version)

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
Hmm... So, will periodicals cease to be "periodical"? If they're always updated, always live... There's no "period" of time to wait from issue to issue. I'm not sure if this is the intent, but I hope it is not.

I hope the issue-based model continues - it gives you something to look forward to, and will differentiate a magazine from a blog or website. I can see how newspapers might want to be "always updated", but I don't think that's needed or desirable for most magazines. Actually, I hope they keep the "page turning" model as a base for design, and just add tweaks to add dynamic content. We've seen this in some prototypes, but I think there will be a strong (and unwelcome in my view) tendency to transmogrify e-magazines into something resembling a website.

catrik007

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
heres one of the first ipad magazines

I found a great website with video showing two magazines built for ipad,

Viv magazine and Outside magazine, these guys understand what a digital magazine on ipad should be, check it out :)

http://www.alexxhenry.com/ipad/

what is everyones thoughts on it?

catrik007

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.