Magazines/newspapers for retina

Diveflo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
hi,

when do you think we will se retina updates for our magazines/newspapers?
As far as I can tell only the NYT has update theirs and The New Yorker only has the first two - three articles updated, the rest still looks horrible on the new screen :/

Do you think they will redo their approach, e.g. have text as real text etc. or do you believe they will have us download 2-3GB issues?

cheers

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
hi,

when do you think we will se retina updates for our magazines/newspapers?
As far as I can tell only the NYT has update theirs and The New Yorker only has the first two - three articles updated, the rest still looks horrible on the new screen :/

Do you think they will redo their approach, e.g. have text as real text etc. or do you believe they will have us download 2-3GB issues?

cheers
Vector text that scales to resolution avoids the issue of having pre-render text for 2 different iPad screens. It's not so easy with graphics, if I am not mistaken. Despite significant upscaling, pixels can't be added if there aren't there to begin with. I just hope more publications will move away from scanned PDF approach and make an effort to make their tablet issues optimised for devices.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I hope so too. I don't
usually read the The Daily but the HD optimized pictures,graphics and vector text look amazing.

Vinda-lou

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Along these same lines, is there a good comic book reader (free preferably) that either takes advantage of retina or now looks amazing on it?

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
really hoping National Geographic and TIME Magazine go Retina soon...

I'm thinking of getting Popular Science as well