Magazines that offer iPad Apps with Subcription - Running list.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Chwisch87, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Chwisch87, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

I cannot seem to find a list of Magazines offering iPad subscriptions. So I figured we would make one. I am talking about stand alone apps and not Zinio. These are pretty hard to find because apple doesn't seem to have a "magazine" section in the app store.
    But here is what i have so far.

Popular Science
    Popular Photography
    Elle Magazine
    Bloomberg Businessweek.

Edit - These are ones that have been added and confirmed from replies.

Remember these are stand alone apps not Zinio, the idea here is apps that are made for the iPad - If it was in a reply and not in this list, I checked and it does offer subscription access at this time.

The Economist
    The Daily (Newspaper/magazine)
    Newsweek
    People
    - No in-app purchase for subscription, must be a print user.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

3. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

5. Chwisch87 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you bought it via in-app does anyone know how to cancel it?

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You can "subscribe" to People, sort of.

You're allowed free digital downloads with your paper subscription, but you must continue to have a paper subscription.

I guess they don't like the rain forest.

7. luckysob macrumors regular

I don't think that Wired provides the iPad version for free. It's an additional $5.

The Economist, on the other hand, gives the iOS versions for free to print subscribers.

8. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Just download the app Zinio. They have tons of subscription based magazines. Everything you could possibly think of. I hope it helps you.

9. shingi70 macrumors regular

But zinino. Isnt optimized for tablets

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually it is and some of the magazines contain embedded multimedia (like videos/swipe pictures/hot links). However the OP specifically said not Zinio.

Also this is somewhat difficult since Apps like the Daily can be considered to be a mag or not to be since there is no traditional rag to equate it to.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

I never said it did. My understanding is the OP asked which magazines have stand alone apps that allow you to subscribe to them.

12. bmat macrumors 6502

newsweek is stand alone, but it seems less optimized and more just like a PDF

13. Chwisch87 thread starter macrumors 6502

I updated the list a bit. I haven't found an answer for how you cancel a subscription. For instance Bloomberg businessweek can be bought in app and is charged a month at a time. It says you must cancel it within 24 hours before renew. I am not sure how to do this however. There is no menu in the app store for this. Do you just ... delete the app?

Bloomberg Businessweek is the gold standard for magazines on iPad btw!

14. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Men's Health but it's by individual issue which sucks.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Same with Consumer Reports. It's $3.99 each instead of the $29/year the magazine would cost you.

As far as the "complaints" about Zinio, I love the app. I got Maxim for free through e-Rewards, and it's very easy to use. The magazine replica is something I'm familiar with but I can jump to certain features or articles through table of contents links. I think there are embedded links in articles as well that take you to a website.

Stuff doesn't have to be all spit-shined like "The Daily" to be a good digital magazine. Sometimes that stuff is a little freaky. I still don't know whether I like Popular Science, but I figured it was worth a try for $12 for a year.

16. IgiveyoutheFBI macrumors newbie

Empire - Movie Magazine, not subscription based yet, though they are working on it, but you can buy individual editions in-app.

17. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

in App store, go to "My Account" (you can probably do this in iTunes as well). Once you are viewing you account, you should see a section called "Manage Subscriptions". This is only for subscriptions made through the App Store such as The Daily.

If the subscription was mad through other means, the app will probably allow you to manage it through the Settings (or Info) area in the app itself.

Some Apps add their setting to the main Setting app of the iPad itself, but I haven't seen any that have subscription info there.

18. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

19. Chwisch87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Much thanks :)

20. SurvApp macrumors newbie

Autoweek?

Not sure if it comes with paper subscription or if it's separate via an app

21. muymal macrumors member

Cans omeone walk me thorugh on how to get subscriptions for popular science? I dled popular science +, try to sign up for a subscription but apple disabled iap (in app purchase) so.... yea... i want to get it :confused: :confused:

22. Chwisch87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple themselves disabled it? You wanna give apple a call? Like when you swipe up and you go to issues and you cant buy it in app?

23. muymal macrumors member

yea when i click issues > get annual subscription > click the green "purchase subscription" then it says

"in-app purchases are not allowed" in one of those blue pop up boxes.

I thought they changed the policy because some guy was suing apple for his granddaughter charging up his card to buy some cupcakes or something in one of those ipad games.

tried googling it didn't find anything but then i didn't spend that much effort haha....