Magazines

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thunderclap, Mar 17, 2011.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I know there are suppose to be magazines and newspapers available on the iPad, but I'm trying to find a listing of them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

AFAIK, there is no single listing, but if you do a simple search in the app store on "magazine" you'll find a ton of them

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

There are different approaches to magazines on the iPad. Zinio is a reader app which allows for access to many titles:

http://www.zinio.com/ipad/;jsessionid=09F5C071980951AC76A413334DB99C8A.ns101-e03

In addition certain titles have their own apps, like Vanity Fair, People, Wired and many others.

Best to figure out which magazines interest you and then search for iPad availability.

4. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

I have to second Zinio and highly recommend it!!

I've been using it since 2004 and still have ol magazines from then that I can download on my iPad, iPhone or iMac. They have greet deals on subscriptions, I have a 10 issue boating mag or 10 bucks, 6 issues of iPhone life for 8 bucks total and a couple of weeks after Macworld mag is released the issue price goes down to 1.99.

Lots of great mags in Zinio. Other mags have apps like Men's Health. I know there are others like wired but I like having the Zinio app to hold all of my magazines. :D

5. outphase macrumors 65816

Sadly, digital subs are more expensive than a print one.

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Best magazine selection for my iPhone/iPad/Galaxy Tab/Evo that I have used.

7. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

I've seen a couple, but most of mine are cheaper.

Mark

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The best I found is the "Daily" which is an app written from the ground up as a magazine. Most of the others seem to rely on PDF's that have been altered to fit or work on an iPad, and that includes all of the Zinio magazines. I get two magazines from Zinio and both exhibit the same characteristics. You have to do a lot of zooming etc to be able to read them.

"Wired" magazine is pretty much the same except it has embedded video in it which is neat.

"Daily" also comes out fresh each morning. It is like a Time or Newsweek magazine each morning.

9. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Isn't the Daily created by Rupert Murdoch? I think I will SKIP.

10. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I really like the way Flipboard aggregates nes sources and magazine info. Its awesome.

11. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Also Zite is really nice.

12. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

It's not *created by* Murdoch, Murdoch just so happens to own News Corp, which makes the Daily. It's really quite a nice "newspaper" if you ask me. I paid for the whole year, and it's been worth it.

13. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Just watched the Flipboard video. Looks sweet.

14. Bombermac macrumors newbie

Popular Science

Has anyone here tried the Popular Science app? It looks like they've got a good price point for subscriptions, and the screen shots of the app itself look pretty good. I don't have an iPad yet (in the mail), but I'm tempted to give PS a try when it arrives.

15. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I might have to give this one a shot

16. seanpholman macrumors regular

This is incorrect. I am an editor for a national publication that is also on Zinio and Zinio is required to be at a discount to the print subscription (and is).

--Sean

17. C N Reilly macrumors regular

It was created with a lot of input from a guy named Steve Jobs. Guess you better SKIP Apple Inc. products too.

18. C N Reilly macrumors regular

If you want an interesting take on iPad magazine publishing, go to the app store and download Project. They're definitely interested in pushing the boundaries of what a "magazine" means on the iPad.

I'm pretty sure the current issue is free. It was last week, anyway. Warning: it's huge, like 375MB.

19. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

I've been using Zinio for several years now. Works as advertised.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I've got PS. $14 for a 12 month subscription. App works well. I'm satisfied.

21. sinsin07, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

sinsin07 macrumors 68030

The poster's meaning is lost to you.

thanks, never heard of Zite, just loaded it and I like it.

22. 184550 Guest

It's rather ludicrous to suggest that Jobs is involved at any level with the overall tone and editorial views as presented in 'The Daily', which I believe is what KauaiBruce was referring to.

'The Daily' has the same 'content' that populates FOX News and most other Murdoch rags.

23. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Perhaps C N Reilly thinks Jobs screens the news before it hits the app :rolleyes:

24. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Been using Flipboard for a few hours and it is awesome! Can't put it down. Especially like reading Wired.