Magellan Car Kit - what are they thinking?!!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ihonda, Nov 27, 2009.

1. lollicup macrumors regular

just like I said in the the Tom tom thread

without competition these guys can charge whatever they want

I would figure that in a few months these GPS docks will come down in price ( or come bundled with the GPS software )

2. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

well, so far there are only 3 GPS improving devices avail. for iPhone/ iPT (TomTom Mount, Magellan Mount, Posimotion G-Fi–No mount or charger)
    that all go for around $110 and the GPS is very inaccurate w/o a GPS Booster thing (compared to standalone GPS). So i think they're hoping u spend $70 on the GPS app and you want more accuracy and will spend another $110 ($180 is about how much a good GPS costs)
    Hopefully, a tear-down will explain the high prices

3. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Well here is the breakdown for it:

Magellan Premium Car Kit for iPhone / iPod touch

With the built-in GPS receiver, you'll automatically enhance the iPhone and iPod touch navigation experience. The Premium Car Kit works with all turn by turn applications available today, including the Magellan RoadMate for iPhone apps.

The premium car kit connects your iPhone via Bluetooth to deliver a superior for hands-free calling experience. The noise canceling speaker delivers crystal clear calls and turn by turn directions.

Features

* Built-in GPS receiver enhances performance
    * In-car charging
    * Secure, adjustable vehicle mounting
    * Noise-cancelling, hands-free speakerphone
    * Powerful, amplified speaker
    * Fits most hard shell cases or silicon skins
    * Enables iPod touch to use navigation or location-based applications
    * Works with any navigation or location-based app

Note: Requires purchase of a navigation App. Sold separately.

Compatibility

* iPhone 3G, 3GS (Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later)
    * iPod touch 2G, 3G

What's in the Box
    Premium GPS Car Kit, Vehicle Mount, Adhesive Disc, Vehicle Power Adapter, Getting Started Guide

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tear-down, not breakdown. ;)

5. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

a tear down is like this: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid/1436/1 taking it apart... what he posted was pretty much the description that you would find on the back the the box on a Magellan Car Kit

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I just spent $200 on a standalone garmin 765T model that has so many features over the phone gps. What I don't understand is for the amount of money you're spending on the app PLUS the cradle, why not just get a much better standalone version? am I missing something here? I mean the apps are a nice to have, but at that price point, it doesn't seem to worth it, but that is subjective.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I think this phase of iPhone turn-by-turn GPS apps + car kits is just following the spirit of what the iPhone was about to begin with: having a truly all-in-one device.

Having said that, I have a standalone TomTom GO in my car and from what I've seen from friends with these apps (I've previewed TomTom and Navigon), they don't touch a standalone device as far as functionality and features. Sure, they may be improved with the GPS booster in the car kit but is it really worth it?

PS: My TomTom gets free updates.

8. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

Map updates? cuz most iphone GPS apps have free map updates too