Magic Input devices on G4 / 10.5.8

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Corps, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Apr 26, 2003
    Our next to oldest Mac is a 17" flat panel G4 running 10.5.8

We decided to put a Bluetooth / usb dongle on it and paired up Apple's sleek wireless keyboard - works like a charm. The Magic Mouse also works pretty well - I'm not sure if the majority of gestures work on a G4 / 10.5.8

Our Magic Trackpad would pair and perform basic navigation - no gestures to speak of - but would not even scroll.

Any idea why the Magic Mouse is more capable on a G4 / 10.5.8 than the Magic Trackpad? One would think the code for basics would be a no brainer.

We have a lot of sentiment about this "lampshade" Mac - now the least powerful but more hours of use daily as it sits on the breakfast bar in the kitchen - first one running in the morning and last one to sleep at night :D :D
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    The Magic Trackpad needs Mac OS X 10.6.4 as a technical requirement, thus less functionality.
    Maybe BetterTouchTool can help you.

Magic Mouse

Magic Trackpad
  3. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks for the link - read it over - appears that a few had their system hosed by by some of the software approaches to get gesture functionality going on G4 / 10.5.8.

I'll avoid those approaches :D

I knew about the technical requirements - just appears odd that the mouse will gesture but the trackpad will not - oh well.

I need to get over having an attachment to pieces of hardware - the older they get the more time and effort it takes to keep them up to speed from a feature and functionality standpoint.
  4. dmr727 macrumors G3

Dec 29, 2007
    Southern California
    Yeah, Apple loves forced obsolescence, so even though there's likely no technical reason for it not to work, they'll see to it that newly released hardware requires the latest OS X version. Hopefully the third party market will come up with some workarounds. :(