Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I still have and use the Wired KB w/ numeric keypad from like 10 years ago:
s-l500_1_large.png

but looking at MKB 2 and the new MKB 3, both without touchID, with, and with touchID and keypad lol.

Got a cheap linear mechanical KB recently and I like it but it is loud and the apple keyboard is more in line with how I use my work laptop and MBA on the go (not in docked mode). and think I also need to upgrade the apple one too, even though this one still works dang well for as old as it is and as cheap as I got it even back then.

Make no mistake, the mechanical KB will be in rotation but when im really whizzing along its pretty loud for being in a small apartment with neighbors. no one beneath me fortunately but still... I am beginning to wonder if its time to upgrade the apple KB side of things.

--

trying to figure out if 3 is worth it, touchID aside, over MKB 2.

Do they feel different? the corner keys are more rounded I noticed on 3 as a new aesthetic, not sure im a fan of that but also not a deal breaker

thanks !

2:
apple-magic-keyboard-2-a1644-mla22ll-a.jpg

3 w/ touchID:
Magic-Keyboard-with-Touch-ID-compatibility.jpg

then theres color variants to consider (Space grey, but used ones look more worn on average than white keys), and the iMac colors - looks like green and blue are sold a la carte on eBay for ~$80/85 new with touchID.

Last edited:

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
$150 to just have a keyboard with terrible ergonomics to me personally is crazy. I think companies like Logitech and Keychron make way better keyboards that are Mac-specific.

Reactions: autrefois

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
$150 to just have a keyboard with terrible ergonomics to me personally is crazy. I think companies like Logitech and Keychron make way better keyboards that are Mac-specific.

Not a snowball chance in hell im paying retail for these if I were to get one ;)

for the $99 MKB2, probably looking at like $30-40 max.
for the $149 touchID, probably $60-80 not sure maybe less.
for the $199 touchID/keypad, $80-90 even then seriously questioning things.

Reactions: loby

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
you could spend $100 and still get a way better keyboard than the ones I mentioned. The Apple keyboards are cool for laptops but just sitting on your desk no way, at least for the prices even at $60-80.

Reactions: autrefois

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
you could spend $100 and still get a way better keyboard than the ones I mentioned. The Apple keyboards are cool for laptops but just sitting on your desk no way, at least for the prices even at $60-80.

subjective of course though right?

and I want an apple KB settled on it but I dont necessarily disagree and appreciate it.

im only periodically using my MBA docked, its not a 24/7 used KB. my use case doesnt fit that.

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
touchID improves productivity lot, but your experience with keys may vary (compared to magic keyboard 2 vs 3).
I fined magic keyboard 3 /Touch ID is fine , but certainly agree that 2 has better keys

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
touchID improves productivity lot, but your experience with keys may vary (compared to magic keyboard 2 vs 3).
I fined magic keyboard 3 /Touch ID is fine , but certainly agree that 2 has better keys

Why do you think they’re better on 2? Interesting

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have had several of those old wired USB Apple Keyboards and always really liked them - still have one left that is not currently in use. But I got a new Space Grey Magic Keyboard with keypad in 2020 to match my new 2018 Mini. Was concerned I might not like it, but actually it's great and I like it even more than the old USB keyboard. A bit more key travel and a nice click feeling (I'm a fast touch typist). Too bad they discontinued the space grey ones.

I'm a little confused over the 1/2/3 designations? Assume that the original (with removable batteries) is number 1, the one without the batteries is number 2 and number 3 has the new keyboard mechanism? Or is version 3 just touch ID?? There is no name or model number at all on my keyboard, System Report says "Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, Product ID: 0x026c"

Anyway, I really like the look and feel of this one and it seems like an upgrade to my Apple USB keyboard. Wish they just had a wired version that was cheaper, I am not a fan of bluetooth (although it does free up a USB port). You can use it plugged in however and it then become a USB keyboard (still works if you turn off bluetooth). That is what I have been doing recently.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I guess the first one with removable batteries wasn’t “magic”

So 1 is 2 and 2 is 3 haha

Reactions: Boyd01

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Well cost vs. benefit analysis, scored me a Magic Keyboard for $20+shipping in like new condition

the non-numeric keypad, non-touchID one (Magic Keyboard '1', or what I previously thought was 2 - the second photo)

cant be too disappointed regardless @ that price and should make a nice replacement for my wired one

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Which version has the Butterfly mechanism? Version 1, I assume?

I don’t think magic keyboard was ever anything but scissor
Butterfly is 12” mb and 2016-2019 pro (excluding late 2019 16”) and 2018-2019 air iirc

Reactions: Boyd01

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

Does magic keyboard 3 have more travel than 2? 2 feels shallow, almost like butterfly keyboard height but I know the underlying mechanism isnt.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014

You do realize that terrible ergonomics for some can me excellent ergonomics to others right?

In fact, due to MY needs, the apple low profile keyboard, which have used since they came out in wire form and I have updated to the latest versions along the way proved the BEST ergonomics to me. AND I have tried dozens including keyboard that are designed to be ergonomic like the Microsoft and Ergo z keyboards.

We would be all be better off remembering that worst and best for some is best and worst for others.

Not going after you personally, just am SO tired of people saying the low profile keyboard is the worst thing ever.

BTW, I just purchased a new iMac 24" and paid extra and ordered the number pad keyboard. It will serve me well as well no doubt.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
You do realize that terrible ergonomics for some can me excellent ergonomics to others right?

In fact, due to MY needs, the apple low profile keyboard, which have used since they came out in wire form and I have updated to the latest versions along the way proved the BEST ergonomics to me. AND I have tried dozens including keyboard that are designed to be ergonomic like the Microsoft and Ergo z keyboards.

We would be all be better off remembering that worst and best for some is best and worst for others.

Not going after you personally, just am SO tired of people saying the low profile keyboard is the worst thing ever.

BTW, I just purchased a new iMac 24" and paid extra and ordered the number pad keyboard. It will serve me well as well no doubt.
Ok if its ergonomics work for you then why spend $150 when you can get one from Logitech that has the same profile, and cost half (if not more) as much? I mean there are plenty of reasons not to spend $150 on it.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Ok if its ergonomics work for you then why spend $150 when you can get one from Logitech that has the same profile, and cost half (if not more) as much? I mean there are plenty of reasons not to spend $150 on it.

Touch ID is the best. I use it dozens of times a day. It's worth the extra $ to me because it saves me time and effort all day long.

Logitech does not have it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Ive been quite enjoying the Magic keyboard 2017 so far! Was well worth the $23 I paid for it

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I have the MKB2 from years ago. It's been great. I paid $0.00 so I got more than I paid for on this one. Goes through batteries fairly quick though.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
My advice: get one from eBay. You see plenty there from sellers who have purchased them and are either out of the return window and don't realise they can return it opened.

I was specifically after the latest Touch ID model in silver/black and managed to get it for £125, sealed. There were others that went in a similar price range and the silver/white model is even cheaper.

I did used to own the Logitech MX Keys, but I did find the keys a little 'heavy' for my taste. My fingers would actually get sore after long sessions, but with the Magic Keyboard the keys are nice and light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.