Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which keyboard should i buy?

• Apple Magic keyboard

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Apple wireless keyboard (old model)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Logitech K810

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2014
I need some advice to buy a new keyboard.

I do like the new Magic keyboard because of its battery and the writing angle, but i don't like it when compared to cheaper devices like the K811 from Logitech.

Unfortunately, the K811 does not have an italian layout, so i'd have to buy the K810 which is designed for Windows (ugh)

What would you suggest me to do? Get the k810, the new magic keyboard or the old wireless one?

Thank you

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have a K811 (the Mac version of the K810), I use the Apple Wireless keyboard and Logitech K750 at work. Unless there is something i'm missing with the Magic Keyboard, I'd take my K811 every day. The ability to switch between three different devices on the fly is really, really useful.

The backlit keys are cool too... they only light up when your hands approach the keyboard, not before. My only gripe with the K811 is there aren't a full set of iTunes controls on it. Because of the buttons for the bluetooth and iPad Home button you only get a play button on the keybaord, not the full Rew/Play/FF you do on the Apple keyboards.

Reactions: ericwn

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I agree completely with venom600. The K811 is awesome. I typically get up to 6 weeks of daily use before needing recharge, even with the backlight.

Besides the K811, I have here a wired Apple keyboard with number pad and a DasKeyboard with mechanical keys. I have used neither for the past several months since I got the K811.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Well I just bought the Magic Keyboard today, and I think its OK, but its rather small coming from the full sized wired one that met its demise with a cup of water... I guess ill get used to it. i paid 84 for a Best Buy floor model.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I don't like Magic keyboard as I can't help but feeling like I'm tapping on keys not pressing them. I know Apple loves to make everything thinner, but keyboards shouldn't be one of them.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
It took me a long time to get used to the magic keyboard coming from a full fledge keyboard that I have been using in one form or another for about 30+ years. However, I have since gotten used to typing on the magic keyboard and now when I'm forced to use a large keyboard I'm all thumbs once again. :)

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
If you want something like the Apple keyboard that is richer in features and looks exactly like Apple's offering, then check out the Mac alu keyboards by Matias. They even have the keyboard in space gray, pink, and gold. Even cooler is the fact that it's wireless and features the number pad: http://matias.ca/aluminum/wireless/

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Ended up buying the Magic keyboard for 109€ (woah!)

It's NOT worth that money, but it is still a good keyboard.

Typing is fast, but i found out that every now and then i miss some keystrokes

Also the arrow keys are not aligned, that seriously bugs me for a product that should be top quality

check out the Mac alu keyboards by Matias. They even have the keyboard in space gray, pink, and gold.

Where can i find some reviews?

Last edited:

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Ended up buying the Magic keyboard for 109€ (woah!)

It's NOT worth that money, but it is still a good keyboard.

Typing is fast, but i found out that every now and then i miss some keystrokes

Also the arrow keys are not aligned, that seriously bugs me for a product that should be top quality

Where can i find some reviews?

I haven't looked for reviews. I don't own one, but Matias has an A+ reputation and is one of the best keyboard manufacturers for the Mac (and PC).

As for making lots of errors, yeah, I had that issue, too. It's why I no longer use the Apple keyboard and instead bought a Das Keyboard Professional for Mac. It's expensive (roughly €200) but I absolutely love it. It's a mechanical keyboard, allowing me to type really fast without making many errors. And the chances of hitting the wrong key by accident is zero as the travel distance is greater. This is the one I use: http://www.daskeyboard.com/de/daskeyboard-4-professional-for-mac/

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Unfortunately the Daskeyboard is for a full desktop, i'm searching for a more portable one

The secondary issue (as per the K811) is the fact there is no italian layout support

The Magic is a good keyboard, but i'm not totally liking it, especially considering the price tag

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I don't understand why every keyboard manufacturers make the keys to travel so short. It makes the typing feel terrible.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
I don't understand why every keyboard manufacturers make the keys to travel so short. It makes the typing feel terrible.

Use a mechanical keyboard with blue Cherry MX switches. Or, if you want the most sturdy and have the longest travel distance possible, use black Cherry MX switches.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I love my older Mac wireless keyboards. I tried the new magic keyboard in store last weekend.

Thoughts:

Too light and too shallow.

Keys were not as good, feedback was crap compared to older version.

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2014
I love my older Mac wireless keyboards. I tried the new magic keyboard in store last weekend.

Thoughts:

Too light and too shallow.

Keys were not as good, feedback was crap compared to older version.

Would you recommend getting the older one today? not sure is a good value investment, considered it's 75€ new and will likely lose value very fast

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Would you recommend getting the older one today? not sure is a good value investment, considered it's 75€ new and will likely lose value very fast
It is really up to what you want. I don't think of a keyboard as a value investment. It is for use. If you are worried about resale on a keyboard, I can't advise you there.

I like the angle on the older keyboard. The new one is flatter. Yes lightning charging is nice but not at the expense of comfort or key action. The older keyboard has more weight, doesn't feel like it may slide around under your hands.

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2014
It is really up to what you want. I don't think of a keyboard as a value investment. It is for use. If you are worried about resale on a keyboard, I can't advise you there.

I like the angle on the older keyboard. The new one is flatter. Yes lightning charging is nice but not at the expense of comfort or key action. The older keyboard has more weight, doesn't feel like it may slide around under your hands.

Considering of getting the old one too, even though this one is really portable

I feel like a little bit more of angle may help the typing experience

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.