• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

stocklen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Hi All

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

I have the (very expensive!) Magic Keyboard case for the iPad Pro 12.9. All seems OK but noticed a much faster battery drain.

I didnt think too much of it, however I happened to be carrying the iPad (closed) in a dark room and noticed that I could see that even with the case closed there was light shining out - and that was coming from the keyboard backlight.

Now, I know that the magnets are engaging properly when closing the 'lid' as I can hear the screen lock sound. However it doesnt seem to be switching off the keyboard light.

The battery drain suddenly makes more sense.. and I had noticed that when I open the case the backlight was already on before I got a chance to wake the iPad - this always struck me as strange.

Now, of course, I think there might be some sort of problem with my case.

Has anyone else experienced this? If not, if you have experienced a battery drain have you checked to see that the keyboard light is going off when the case is closed?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

stocklen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Thank you - interesting read.

Looks like its quite widespread and possibly software related rather than hardware.

I dont want to go to the faff of changing the keyboard only to have it happen again.

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Hi All

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

I have the (very expensive!) Magic Keyboard case for the iPad Pro 12.9. All seems OK but noticed a much faster battery drain.

I didnt think too much of it, however I happened to be carrying the iPad (closed) in a dark room and noticed that I could see that even with the case closed there was light shining out - and that was coming from the keyboard backlight.

Now, I know that the magnets are engaging properly when closing the 'lid' as I can hear the screen lock sound. However it doesnt seem to be switching off the keyboard light.

The battery drain suddenly makes more sense.. and I had noticed that when I open the case the backlight was already on before I got a chance to wake the iPad - this always struck me as strange.

Now, of course, I think there might be some sort of problem with my case.

Has anyone else experienced this? If not, if you have experienced a battery drain have you checked to see that the keyboard light is going off when the case is closed?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Several weeks ago I had that happen. Removing the ipad from the keyboard and then putting it back on corrected it but I also restarted my iPad Pro just to be sure and I have not had that happen since. I’ve seen no additional battery drain when using the Smart Keyboard folio versus the new magic keyboard. With the screen locked and ipad asleep I have no battery drainage whatsoever for hours. I’ve mentioned elsewhere that subjectively it doesn’t seem as if the battery lasts as long as previously but I attribute that to the iOS 13 features. I have the 3rd gen 12” iPad Pro that I got when it was released so it’s been on software prior to 13. And again, subjectively it doesn’t seem to last as long but I also use it a lot more so....

Comment

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
This happens frequently on mine. Sometimes I close the case and the backlight stays on, sometimes I let the iPad go to sleep with the keyboard open and the backlight won’t turn off, even after unlocking and sleeping the iPad again.

Disconnecting the iPad always seems to fix it, I’m sure it’s just a software glitch.

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Yep this happened to me again this evening. Second time for me. I pulled the ipad off which does seem to correct it. But I will restart the device in the morning just to make sure. The first time it happened was several weeks ago so it’s frequent issue but if it’s not noticed it could result in serious battery drain if someone closes the case for the night and thinks everything is off.

Comment

darkpaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I also have this issue, but a secondary one, too. When the Magic Keyboard is connected via the USB-C cable to my Mac, and the iPad Pro is on the keyboard, the iPad doesn't show up in Finder, so I can't sync anything. If I remove the cable and plug it into the iPad directly it works fine. Is this expected? Does the keyboard only pass through power and not data? If so, that's incredibly lame.

Comment

sparksd

macrumors 601
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I also have this issue, but a secondary one, too. When the Magic Keyboard is connected via the USB-C cable to my Mac, and the iPad Pro is on the keyboard, the iPad doesn't show up in Finder, so I can't sync anything. If I remove the cable and plug it into the iPad directly it works fine. Is this expected? Does the keyboard only pass through power and not data? If so, that's incredibly lame.

Yes, power only.

Comment

jdb8167

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
The smart connector on the back of the iPad Pro probably doesn’t have the bandwidth for anything more than simple USB devices like keyboards and mice. Just use WiFi to connect on your Mac instead. Unless you have a high-speed USB-C/TB3 data cable, the sync speed is about the same anyway.

Comment

sparksd

macrumors 601
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Well, that is lame :(

It's as jdb8167 says, the smart connector has limited bandwidth and can't support significant data transfer; it would have required a significant redesign to accommodate and an attendant price increase on both the iPad side and the Magic Keyboard case itself. I remember seeing a GoFundMe campaign for a keyboard case with multiple ports - it required a cable connection between the case and the iPad's USB-C port.

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Yep this happened to me again this evening. Second time for me. I pulled the ipad off which does seem to correct it. But I will restart the device in the morning just to make sure. The first time it happened was several weeks ago so it’s frequent issue but if it’s not noticed it could result in serious battery drain if someone closes the case for the night and thinks everything is off.
I’ve noticed recently that the backlighting issue has become more frequent. I’m on the 13.5.1 release and if I leave my ipad and keyboard open I’ll realize that the backlighting is still on a significant amount of time after my last interaction. Normally it shuts off about 30 seconds after the last contact with the screen or keyboard. This may well be the reason for many posts about reduced battery life. If I had closed the keyboard on these occasions I would not have realized that the backlighting was still on. Also I’m noticing that on these occasions the backlighting is actually brighter than what I have set in the keyboard settings. I don’t know if this has been resolved in the current beta but everyone with the device should keep an eye out for it.

Removing the ipad from the keyboard corrects the issue but I also always restart it as well.

Comment

PowerBookNN

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
I’ve noticed recently that the backlighting issue has become more frequent. I’m on the 13.5.1 release and if I leave my ipad and keyboard open I’ll realize that the backlighting is still on a significant amount of time after my last interaction. Normally it shuts off about 30 seconds after the last contact with the screen or keyboard. This may well be the reason for many posts about reduced battery life. If I had closed the keyboard on these occasions I would not have realized that the backlighting was still on. Also I’m noticing that on these occasions the backlighting is actually brighter than what I have set in the keyboard settings. I don’t know if this has been resolved in the current beta but everyone with the device should keep an eye out for it.

Removing the ipad from the keyboard corrects the issue but I also always restart it as well.
I'm having the exact same issues on brand new (June 12) iPP 11” 2020 and MK. Also, last night I could not get the MK to light up in a totally dark room. Had to remove the ipad from the MK and then it worked. All brightness and keyboard settings were correct. I'm on 13.5.1. Since they are both new, I don't know if it is the iPP or the MK, a combination of the two or a software issue. Very frustrating...calling Technical Support today.

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
. Also, last night I could not get the MK to light up in a totally dark room. Had to remove the ipad from the MK and then it worked. All brightness and keyboard settings were correct.
It’s the software. Up until about a week ago I had only seen the backlighting stay on when I locked the ipad screen. Then sometime last week I saw the backlighting not come on at all. Like you removing the ipad from the keyboard and putting it back on resolved it. It’s just something we’re going to have to put up with for now, I don’t know if the current 13.6 or whatever beta is out fixes this. Maybe ios 14 will. Hopefully those on the beta are submitting problem reports about the issue. Which you could also do by putting this in the browser - applefeedback:// - It will ask you if you want to open it in the Feedback app, accept and you can submit files that may indicate to them what the problem is. Do that before you remove the ipad from the keyboard, while the issue is still evident.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It’s the software. Up until about a week ago I had only seen the backlighting stay on when I locked the ipad screen. Then sometime last week I saw the backlighting not come on at all. Like you removing the ipad from the keyboard and putting it back on resolved it. It’s just something we’re going to have to put up with for now, I don’t know if the current 13.6 or whatever beta is out fixes this. Maybe ios 14 will. Hopefully those on the beta are submitting problem reports about the issue. Which you could also do by putting this in the browser - applefeedback:// - It will ask you if you want to open it in the Feedback app, accept and you can submit files that may indicate to them what the problem is. Do that before you remove the ipad from the keyboard, while the issue is still evident.
I have had my iPad Pro 11 (2020) for a week and haven’t had this problem. I am also running iPadOS 14.

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Give it at least 2 weeks. It was 2-3 weeks before I saw the issue of the backlighting staying on even in sleep. I had seen reports here but it wasn’t until I had the keyboard for the 2-3 weeks that I ran into that. The backlight not coming on at all just occurred in the last week or two. My ipad is 2018 12” iPP which I’ve had since it was released. The magic keyboard I’ve had for about 2 months.

Comment

PowerBookNN

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
Thanks for the info. I posted this on the Apple Support Communities and called Tech Support. They gave me a case number and said I could take MK and have it swapped out. Can’t get an appt until 7/10. I agree with you, that I think it is a software issue. So, I’m not sure jumping through all the hoops is worth it...our store just opened a couple of days ago and the are swamped. I will post to applefeedback the next time either event happens. Thanks for the link.

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
If you use that link it opens the feedback app that beta testers have front and center when they install a beta profile. It’s always on the software but not visible unless you have the beta profile or use that browser link. The good thing about it is that it will collect relevant files and upload them to Apple after you detail the problem, so they may see something obvious in those files.

Comment

PowerBookNN

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
If you use that link it opens the feedback app that beta testers have front and center when they install a beta profile. It’s always on the software but not visible unless you have the beta profile or use that browser link. The good thing about it is that it will collect relevant files and upload them to Apple after you detail the problem, so they may see something obvious in those files.
Tonight I had the problem with the backlight keys not coming on again. I tried to sign in to that link you gave me. I kept putting in my Apple ID and password but could not get any further than that...I was stuck in a loop. Everytime I hit enter it just brought up the sign in page again. Is there an app I need to download?

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
I have been a beta tester and maybe it’s because of that I can enter that to submit a report. Have you ever registered or installed one of the public betas? You wouldn’t have to have a beta currently installed, I don’t at this time, but if you had registered for it this might function for you. Or it could be a temporary issue with their servers. I assume when you enter the link this image appears -
D28241AC-CCA4-4F79-A294-0C2793D56B4F.jpeg

Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Tonight I had the problem with the backlight keys not coming on again. I tried to sign in to that link you gave me. I kept putting in my Apple ID and password but could not get any further than that...I was stuck in a loop. Everytime I hit enter it just brought up the sign in page again. Is there an app I need to download?
Right afater posting my reply above I realized that the backlighting on my keyboard was not turning off. So I used that link and submitted a report. Again it’s possible that it may only work for those that have been registered in the beta programs.

Comment

PowerBookNN

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
I have been a beta tester and maybe it’s because of that I can enter that to submit a report. Have you ever registered or installed one of the public betas? You wouldn’t have to have a beta currently installed, I don’t at this time, but if you had registered for it this might function for you. Or it could be a temporary issue with their servers. I assume when you enter the link this image appears -
View attachment 931114
Yes, I got that. It was after I put in my Apple ID etc that it would not accept it and kept bringing up the same page as if I entered wrong ID or Password.
[automerge]1594039417[/automerge]
Right afater posting my reply above I realized that the backlighting on my keyboard was not turning off. So I used that link and submitted a report. Again it’s possible that it may only work for those that have been registered in the beta programs.
You are correct, I have never registered as a beta tester. I wondered if that might be the issue. I went on my iPad Mini and tried the link on that just to see if I could get through on the mini. No go, same issue of it not recognizing my name or password.

Last edited:
Comment

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
It worked correctly for me so I’m assuming you would have had to register in the past for the betas. Anyway I submitted a report and hopefully others are as well so maybe they’ll figure it out. I run into both syndromes, backlighting stays on and backlighting doesn’t come on at all. Maybe this is resolved in ios 14.

Comment

PowerBookNN

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
It worked correctly for me so I’m assuming you would have had to register in the past for the betas. Anyway I submitted a report and hopefully others are as well so maybe they’ll figure it out. I run into both syndromes, backlighting stays on and backlighting doesn’t come on at all. Maybe this is resolved in ios 14.
I went to the Apple store today for a Genius appointment while my MK was having the issue of the backlighting not coming on. I showed them the resolution of unseating the iPP from the keyboard etc. They hadn’t heard of the issues prior to my visit. They said it is most likely a software issue but decided to swap out my MK for a new one since it is so new, just in case it happens to be a hardware issue. I’ll post here if/when either of the issues happen with the new keyboard.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I went to the Apple store today for a Genius appointment while my MK was having the issue of the backlighting not coming on. I showed them the resolution of unseating the iPP from the keyboard etc. They hadn’t heard of the issues prior to my visit. They said it is most likely a software issue but decided to swap out my MK for a new one since it is so new, just in case it happens to be a hardware issue. I’ll post here if/when either of the issues happen with the new keyboard.
I think the Apple employees are trained to say they have never heard of or seen problem X before. Even when you ask them about a problem that is well known, they always give the same answer.

Nice of them to give you a new model, even though it is a software bug.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.