Magic Keyboard Function Keys on El Capitan

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by plentyoftimeto69, Dec 3, 2018.

1. plentyoftimeto69 macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

Hi, I'm still using my old workhorse Mac Pro 2,1, and the original keyboard and mouse have had it. I replaced them with a full size Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse. The mouse works perfect, but the keyboard is only like 98% there. With a few key mappings I was able to get it to adjust my brightness, but there doesn't appear to be anything I can do about the function keys for sound. This system has a modern WiFi/Bluetooth adapter (out of a 2015 iMac) installed, and supports continuity and AirDrop. Is there any way I can get these key mappings working? Kext hack? Just a setting I'm blatantly missing? Thanks in advance!

2. chabig macrumors 603

You didn't tell us what you want to do about the function keys for sound. The keyboard already has controls for sound. What do you want to change? What keyboard mappings?

3. plentyoftimeto69 thread starter macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

All of the audio control keys, play, pause, volume, etc... just don't do anything on this new keyboard. I even tried it with the lightning cable instead of over Bluetooth, but I get the same behavior. My old, wired Apple keyboard worked fine with the function keys.

4. chabig macrumors 603

Did you try them while holding the Fn key down?

5. plentyoftimeto69 thread starter macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

Yeah, no luck there either. System Report shows it as a legitimate Apple Magic Keyboard, but what's weird is that I don't have the usual "Use F1 F2" option in my keyboard settings panel.

Screenshot 2018-12-03 16.34.06.png Screenshot 2018-12-03 16.34.17.png

6. chabig macrumors 603

That's interesting that your preference pane doesn't have the Fn controls. What happens if you click the button at the bottom that says, "Change Keyboard Type..."?

7. chrfr macrumors 604

This keyboard requires 10.12.4 or later to work.

8. plentyoftimeto69 thread starter macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

Yeah, that's what I read while Googling. There's no way to grab a driver off over 10.12 and newer and load it up? Kernel module? Anything?