Magic Keyboard specs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Oct 8, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I want to ask regarding the Apple Magic keyboard specs.
    1. Is there gonna be a back lit ability to the Magic Keyboard, just like there is on laptops?
    2. Will there be an Apple Magic keyboard with numeric pad?

2. awests macrumors regular

No one will know for sure until Apple releases the product.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

When will Apple release this product? Is there some speculation regarding this?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

5. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

I thought the consensus was they were going to be released with the new iMac later this week or next?

6. Sound214 macrumors 6502

I really do wonder what the Magic Keyboard will bring in terms of functionality. Clearly backlit isn't enough to justify the term 'Magic'. The 'Magic' in the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad is the multi touch after all. Multi touch keyboard doesn't make much sense, or does it?

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, after all Apple always amazes us! To be honest even if they introduce backlit to it, it will be enough for me to call it Magic, ive been waiting so long for backlit on these keyboards, especially on the wired ones!!!! (i hate wireless)

8. Socket macrumors member

Socket

The magic is the price....119 euros, really magic! :-/

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

And no numeric pad? And not a wired option? Feeling disappointed!

10. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If they can make a keyboard that have normal backlight main keyboard + num pad on the RHS (without physical key) which is also a track pad, this is the real magic keyboard (well, at least for me).

I don't mind if it's wireless, as long as it react exactly the same as a wired keyboard when the lighting cable is connected. The wireless function will then become a bonus.

11. No-Me macrumors 6502a

It also works with the lightning cable if you turn bluetooth of on your computer. :)

12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't understand... what exactly is the deal with the lightning cable?

13. No-Me macrumors 6502a

You can use lightning to charge the batteries, but you can also just leave it on and disable bluetooth on your mac, than the keyboard is a wired keyboard :)

14. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmmm i didn't know that,very interesting! Still i would purchase the magic keyboard only if there is one with a numeric pad AND backlit buttons!

15. Serban Suspended

there is no backlit keyboard..as it is not mentioned and no dedicated keys for adjust the illumination

16. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

i dont think you necessarily need to turn off Bluetooth on the Mac, I believe it will determine if it will use bluetooth or the wired connection.

17. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Any news regarding the backlit keyboards that i hope Apple will present? :(

18. shoehornhands macrumors regular

Given that the "Magic" Keyboard was released just a few months ago, I doubt you'll see anything new from Apple any time soon (they don't update peripherals all that often).

If you're referring to your original question regarding the Magic Keyboard, there's nothing particularly "Magic" about it (as far as functionality is concerned anyway), as it's just your run-of-the-mill, membrane keyboard (and like all Apple products, the focus is on an elegant / aesthetically pleasing / uncluttered design).

19. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Well Apple has disappointed. I think i'm gonna go for the logitech K811, what do you think?

20. shoehornhands macrumors regular

Not sure how important the keyboard's cosmetics / matching your other Apple devices is to you, but from a functional perspective, in my opinion the only keyboards worth spending $100+ on are mechanical. I'm not sure how familiar you are with mechanical keyboards, but the difference in quality between a decent mechanical keyboard (e.g. FILCO, Ducky, Das), and even the best membrane keyboard is gigantic (not only in raw build quality, but mechanical switches are rated for 50+ million keystrokes each, so they last like 10x longer than a typical membrane keyboard). If you spend even a few minutes with a decent mechanical keyboard, it will completely change the way you look at / gauge keyboards.

You could get something like a Ducky Shine 3 (a highly rated backlit mechanical keyboard) for just a few bucks more than a Magic keyboard:

http://duckychannel.com.tw/en/Shine_3_DK9008.html

If cosmetics are a top priority, you could also look at Corsair's mechanical keyboards, as they offer them with a silver / aluminum body, which might match Apple stuff better.

Anyway, just figured I'd bring it up in case you (or anybody else in a similar situation) aren't aware of it. I can certainly understand why some people prefer to spend the money on something like a Magic Keyboard / that it can be bothersome when stuff doesn't match, or look right / out of place.