Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Woohoo, FINALLY got my Magic Keyboard for my 11” pro today! So far I really like it. Keyboard feel is great. Have also been using the Logitech Combo touch for the past week or so on my (mainly) daughters 10.5” iPad Air. Here’s some quick thoughts/comparisons:
AMK = Apple Magic Keyboard used one 11” Pro
LCT = Logitech Combo Touch used on iPad Air 10.5”

- I find AMK a bit cramped in the top row of buttons, my fingers often touch the iPad while typing. Keyboard in general felt a bit small/cramped in beginning, but got used to it fairly quickly. I just wish screen floated a bit further back so my fingers didn’t bump screen as often
- Really like the row of function buttons that the LCT has for easy brightness adjust, etc. But they wouldn’t fit with design of apple keyboard.
- Really would like an escape key on both!
- Keyboard attachment on LCT seems kind of weak. Often detaches when my daughter is using it in her lap and she’s fidgeting. AMK magnet attachment is super strong. Wish LCT has even half the strength
- AMK is heavier than I was expecting. I mean, I read the weight specs, but until you actually heft it, it’s a bit surprising. I was imagining this would be lighter than a MacBook or Air, not sure it really is.
- Along these lines, I like the way LCT keyboard detached, yet you still have some back case protection. AMK is easy to detach, but then iPad is naked.
- I like the fabric finish feel on Logitech better than the weird vinyl feel. Fabric feels more premium. Makes AMK seem about $100 overpriced to me.
- Wish AMK hinge USB-C port could be used for more than charging. Would be awesome to be able to have attached a dingle there for HDM, SD card, etc. Connecting half way up is clunky
- Trackpad - love it, way more useful than I thought it would be!!

All in all, especially considering the price difference, if Logitech made a combo touch keyboard for the 11” pro, I’d probably go with that. But, I really like having the keyboard/trackpad attachment, turns the iPad into mini (but heavy) laptop. It’s really a game changer to have any sort of easily detachable keyboard/trackpad like this. And no worries of having to charge or pair either.

I’ll definitely keep the AMK, seems like best solution for pro. But, I really don’t like the oily vinyl feel, and miss those Logitech function keys.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Woohoo, FINALLY got my Magic Keyboard for my 11” pro today! So far I really like it. Keyboard feel is great. Have also been using the Logitech Combo touch for the past week or so on my (mainly) daughters 10.5” iPad Air. Here’s some quick thoughts/comparisons:
AMK = Apple Magic Keyboard used one 11” Pro
LCT = Logitech Combo Touch used on iPad Air 10.5”

- I find AMK a bit cramped in the top row of buttons, my fingers often touch the iPad while typing. Keyboard in general felt a bit small/cramped in beginning, but got used to it fairly quickly. I just wish screen floated a bit further back so my fingers didn’t bump screen as often
- Really like the row of function buttons that the LCT has for easy brightness adjust, etc. But they wouldn’t fit with design of apple keyboard.
- Really would like an escape key on both!
- Keyboard attachment on LCT seems kind of weak. Often detaches when my daughter is using it in her lap and she’s fidgeting. AMK magnet attachment is super strong. Wish LCT has even half the strength
- AMK is heavier than I was expecting. I mean, I read the weight specs, but until you actually heft it, it’s a bit surprising. I was imagining this would be lighter than a MacBook or Air, not sure it really is.
- Along these lines, I like the way LCT keyboard detached, yet you still have some back case protection. AMK is easy to detach, but then iPad is naked.
- I like the fabric finish feel on Logitech better than the weird vinyl feel. Fabric feels more premium. Makes AMK seem about $100 overpriced to me.
- Wish AMK hinge USB-C port could be used for more than charging. Would be awesome to be able to have attached a dingle there for HDM, SD card, etc. Connecting half way up is clunky
- Trackpad - love it, way more useful than I thought it would be!!

All in all, especially considering the price difference, if Logitech made a combo touch keyboard for the 11” pro, I’d probably go with that. But, I really like having the keyboard/trackpad attachment, turns the iPad into mini (but heavy) laptop. It’s really a game changer to have any sort of easily detachable keyboard/trackpad like this. And no worries of having to charge or pair either.

I’ll definitely keep the AMK, seems like best solution for pro. But, I really don’t like the oily vinyl feel, and miss those Logitech function keys.
+1 on every point you made.

I tried the Logitech combo touch on my 10.5 inch iPad Pro and I thought it was an excellent case with the exception of three things (that you mentioned): Bulk, weak connection and usability on lap. The Logitech is one bulky/thick case. I don’t know why Logitech does this. Some may like that for the extra protection it provides? Personally, I like Apple’s approach with slimmer more streamlined cases. I also found that the kickstand combined with the weak connection made it much tougher to use on the lap than the Magic Keyboard case. I actually had the 10.5 inch IPP tumble over backwards and hit the deck (unharmed) as it lost it’s connection to the case while using on the lap.

I ended up returning the Logitech case for these reasons. Other than these things though...I thought the Logitech case was 5 star! Btw...I ended up getting/keeping the Magic keyboard case for my 11 Inch iPad Pro. Absolutely love it. The integrated trackpad (on both) is a game changer!

Reactions: mikepro

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Just wondering if those who have had or have tested these both for longer time noticed any difference in trackpad accuracy or reliablility?

I have only tested shop demo iPad Pro 11” with Apple Magic Keyboard and trackpad seemed to work just like in Macbook but now that I have got my Logitech Combo Touch for Air 3/Pro 10.5” version I think trackpad is not quite as reliable as in my MBP 2019. It works but gestures and palm detection does not work nearly as well, pointer often jumps around when my palm touch it. Also sometimes gestures no working as well or it lose ”grip” while dragging.

I was just wondering it these are the same with Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11” or is it really as good as MBP trackpad? It is hard to judge by short test with shop demo units.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
All in all, especially considering the price difference, if Logitech made a combo touch keyboard for the 11” pro, I’d probably go with that.

I agree with this. I loved my Slim Combo for my 2nd Gen 12.9". Had Logitech made one for the 3rd Gen 12.9", I might've purchased and kept that over the Magic Keyboard I have now. i LOVED having a detachable keyboard with back protection on my iPad, along with the Pencil holder. I also definitely miss the function keys and the ability to use the kickback stand in both portrait and landscape mode.

Though the Magic Keyboard is great in so many aspects, I don't think it double the price "better" than the Logitech.

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
Just wondering if those who have had or have tested these both for longer time noticed any difference in trackpad accuracy or reliablility?

I have only tested shop demo iPad Pro 11” with Apple Magic Keyboard and trackpad seemed to work just like in Macbook but now that I have got my Logitech Combo Touch for Air 3/Pro 10.5” version I think trackpad is not quite as reliable as in my MBP 2019. It works but gestures and palm detection does not work nearly as well, pointer often jumps around when my palm touch it. Also sometimes gestures no working as well or it lose ”grip” while dragging.

I was just wondering it these are the same with Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11” or is it really as good as MBP trackpad? It is hard to judge by short test with shop demo units.
No issues at all with my 1.5 month old MK and its trackpad. Never had a three finger gesture get missed. The only gesture I find that takes extra movement of the fingers is the pinch to zoom using two fingers. I find I have to exaggerate the pinch outwards for it to register. I think it could just be the software not wanting to make a mistake with the much more often two fingers for scrolling function.

I did have to get used to the smaller size vertically though. But my muscle memory is adapting.

Really like this case a lot, and the keys and feel is trully fantastic. I think if it was about $100 less, it would be darn near perfect. But I gave up and bought it as my Ipad Pro has almost completely replaced my computer over the last 4 years (or whenever the 9.7pro came out)

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
No issues at all with my 1.5 month old MK and its trackpad. Never had a three finger gesture get missed. The only gesture I find that takes extra movement of the fingers is the pinch to zoom using two fingers. I find I have to exaggerate the pinch outwards for it to register. I think it could just be the software not wanting to make a mistake with the much more often two fingers for scrolling function.
How well palm rejection works in MK? Does cursor jump if your palm touches the trackpad while typing?
At least in my Logitech Combo Touch that feature is nearly non existent compared to my Macbook Pro. That’s why wondering if Apple included that feaure in their iPad MK too?

Any complaints about material wear and durability or keycaps getting shiny in your MK?
I definitely like Logitech Combo Touch material because it does not collect fingerprint or dust and keys are easy to clean and they feel very nice, kinda silky smooth (I wonder if Logitech used the same keycap material as in Logitech Craft because keys have similar luxury feel).

Last edited:

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
How well palm rejection works in MK? Does cursor jump if your palm touches the trackpad while typing?
At least in my Logitech Combo Touch that feature is nearly non existent compared to my Macbook Pro. That’s why wondering if Apple included that feaure in their iPad MK too?

Any complaints about material wear and durability or keycaps getting shiny in your MK?
I definitely like Logitech Combo Touch material because it does not collect fingerprint or dust and keys are easy to clean and they feel very nice, kinda silky smooth (I wonder if Logitech used the same keycap material as in Logitech Craft because keys have similar luxury feel).
I have the MK right now for my 12.9".

I have the same worry with keys getting shiny on my keyboards. Every keyboard I have has some kind of screen cover except my MK... It hasn't gotten shiny yet, but I am definitely more conscious about wiping my fingers or washing my hands more often because of COVID.

In terms of durability, it's going to wear down. The material at the hinge definitely gets caught in my backpack and is warping. Every little bump onto an edge will bruise the MK. I put a skin on it early on but looking back, it's foolish. The skin will do nothing to prevent dents and other damage on the MK. It is what it is, a delicate product that will not age well.

I will to replace both my iPad and MK before AppleCare runs out and when I do, I won't go into the trouble of putting a skin on again. When I had my Logitech Slim Combo, I could throw it around and toss it in my bag without any worries. With my MK, you should see how gently I have to place it in and pull it out of my bag. It's ridiculous hahah.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I have the MK right now for my 12.9".

I have the same worry with keys getting shiny on my keyboards. Every keyboard I have has some kind of screen cover except my MK... It hasn't gotten shiny yet, but I am definitely more conscious about wiping my fingers or washing my hands more often because of COVID.

In terms of durability, it's going to wear down. The material at the hinge definitely gets caught in my backpack and is warping. Every little bump onto an edge will bruise the MK. I put a skin on it early on but looking back, it's foolish. The skin will do nothing to prevent dents and other damage on the MK. It is what it is, a delicate product that will not age well.

I will to replace both my iPad and MK before AppleCare runs out and when I do, I won't go into the trouble of putting a skin on again. When I had my Logitech Slim Combo, I could throw it around and toss it in my bag without any worries. With my MK, you should see how gently I have to place it in and pull it out of my bag. It's ridiculous hahah.
OK, that wear and durability definitely sounds like something I'd like to avoid.

What is your experience with palm rejection/detection in MK? Does cursor jump if your palm hits trackpad while typing? You mostly notice it typing something longer than just browser address, like this forum reply.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
OK, that wear and durability definitely sounds like something I'd like to avoid.

What is your experience with palm rejection/detection in MK? Does cursor jump if your palm hits trackpad while typing? You mostly notice it typing something longer than just browser address, like this forum reply.
I haven’t had any issues with palm detection. Functionally, it’s a really polished device. The typing experience is amazing. I love the trackpad, though the small size was something I had to get used to. Other than wishing it had function keys, it works perfectly out of the box.
The materials used though is another story...

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I haven’t had any issues with palm detection. Functionally, it’s a really polished device.
OK, then it sounds like maybe Logitech Combo Touch is totally lacking this function or it is not as functional because I find it is nothing like with my Macbook Pro where I never had any issues when my palm is hitting trackpad while typing.

When you are typing with MK, does your palm actually touch trackpad ever?
Or do you have a Macbook and even compared to that, does trackpad besided small size feel as reliable?

The typing experience is amazing.
The typing experience with Logitech Combo Touch is also perfect in my opinion, actually nicer feeling keys and a little more travel than with my MBP 2019 (Butterfly).

Other than wishing it had function keys, it works perfectly out of the box.
The materials used though is another story...
I like LCT function keys and the numbers key row is not too close to edge or almost under the iPad as in MK.
Also there is nice case with kickstand always, so using without keyboard as tablet is also very nice and material seems durable, but fabric like material I’m not that sure it is really safe for the screen since it feels a bit rough to me but I guess they must have tested it safe...

I already have new Air 3 + LCT and trying to make up my mind if I can live with this, or pay over double price to get Pro 11” + MK.

Last edited:

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
OK, then it sounds like maybe Logitech Combo Touch is totally lacking this function or it is not as functional because I find it is nothing like with my Macbook Pro where I never had any issues when my palm is hitting trackpad while typing.

When you are typing with MK, does your palm actually touch trackpad ever?
Or do you have a Macbook and even compared to that, does trackpad besided small size feel as reliable?

The typing experience with Logitech Combo Touch is also perfect in my opinion, actually nicer feeling keys and a little more travel than with my MBP 2019 (Butterfly).

I like LCT function keys and the numbers key row is not too close to edge or almost under the iPad as in MK.
Also there is nice case with kickstand always, so using without keyboard as tablet is also very nice and material seems durable, but fabric like material I’m not that sure it is really safe for the screen since it feels a bit rough to me but I guess they must have tested it safe...

I already have new Air 3 + LCT and trying to make up my mind if I can live with this, or pay over double price to get Pro 11” + MK.
So, I find that I type differently on my MBP because of the trackpad underneath my hands, so I think I naturally position my wrists so it doesn't rest on the trackpad on my MK. So, I might not be the best to ask that question. But the trackpad's smaller size on the MK is definitely noticeable, and did take me about 2 weeks to get used to the smaller trackpad. Now, I don't even notice the smaller size. Do I wish it was larger? Sure, but I get why it's the size it is.

As for the LCT, I do remember the typing experience. Yes, it is good and "softer" than the MK. But I like the clicky nature of the MK. The softer feel of the LCT might present more fatigue in the long run over the MK, but that's just a thought.

And yes, I do miss the kickstand. The hinge on the MK isn't perfect, and neither is the kickstand. But when I did have my Logitech, the kickstand was strong and very convenient.

Between you and me, if Logitech made a sequel to the Slim Combo for the 12.9", I might've chosen it over the MK.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Not sure why Logitech has the kickstand on for pro-iPad products, yet the better triangle stand on non-pro iPads.
Not being able to use on a lap is a dealbreaker for me.

It seems like there are a bit of good and bad in both the Folio and AMK. Hopefully the next gen models by each company will bring us the 'perfect' keyboard case. :)

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
So, I find that I type differently on my MBP because of the trackpad underneath my hands, so I think I naturally position my wrists so it doesn't rest on the trackpad on my MK.
OK. I'm still trying to learn not to rest my wrist on the trackpad. I'm just so used to that due to desktop keyboards usually have this ergonomic wrist rest.

I'm still wondering if palm rejection function is related to IOS or is it purely hardware feature?

Anyway I've been trying to pay attention to more my typing habit and now that I'm typing this message with my MBP I let my wrist rest even more pronounced on the trackpad than usually and I find it jumping also! Interesting that I never noticed that befofe but like I said this time I intentionally let it rest more on the trackpad. So maybe I'm typing a bit different fashion with LCT...

As for the LCT, I do remember the typing experience. Yes, it is good and "softer" than the MK. But I like the clicky nature of the MK. The softer feel of the LCT might present more fatigue in the long run over the MK, but that's just a thought.
I like LCT because it is not as "noisy" as MBP butterfly and it is more like my desktop Logitech Craft. It is just that in some keys the key travel feels even a bit too long, like arrow up/down, not sure why but probably I'm just not used to type with LCT yet and it takes time.

And yes, I do miss the kickstand. The hinge on the MK isn't perfect, and neither is the kickstand. But when I did have my Logitech, the kickstand was strong and very convenient.
Yeah, the kickstand is nice in some ways but on the other hand takes a lot of space on the table and causes some limits to lap use (but seems to works for me most of the time).

I think hinge is very durable because to me it looks and feels about the same as in my old iPad Air case (product name is Logitech Hinge or something) and I have had that case for like 5 years in daily use (first with my Air 1 and then later with iPad 2017 and 2018 models) but the hinge still works and holds in place like new.

I guess I try to learn to live with LCT. I think MK + Pro 11" is a bit overkill for my "sofa" surfing (not using the machine for anything productive).

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Not sure why Logitech has the kickstand on for pro-iPad products, yet the better triangle stand on non-pro iPads.
Not being able to use on a lap is a dealbreaker for me.
One thing I don't like with the triangle stands is that they usually fold to stand position in a way that the part that is covering the display when closed, is against the table when using it as stand. So it will collect all dirt and grit and then gets rubbed against the display, which is receipt for a scratched display sooner or later.

I think kickstand is not completely unusable on a lap, I can use my LCT is most situations but the best when I sit on the sofa with my legs straight on the footrest.

It seems like there are a bit of good and bad in both the Folio and AMK. Hopefully the next gen models by each company will bring us the 'perfect' keyboard case. :)
I think so too. Hopefully MK gets material more in line with its price tag and also it would be nice if it would allow tablet mode use with some protective cover on iPad then too.

Last edited:

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
Yeah I don’t think the MK trackpad has any sort of palm rejection, at-least not that I can tell. I have on rare occasions had the cursor jump when typing a document when my palm accidentally rubbed the trackpad.

I’m quite used to typing on laptops so its not really a big deal as I’ve adjusted subconsciously to how I type over the years.

My only real complaint is the material quality

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Yeah I don’t think the MK trackpad has any sort of palm rejection, at-least not that I can tell. I have on rare occasions had the cursor jump when typing a document when my palm accidentally rubbed the trackpad.
Thanks for telling this. So I can bury my plan b to get Pro 11” + MK to get rid of the palm issue. I guess LCT and MK are then equal with trackpad palm rejection.

I’m quite used to typing on laptops so its not really a big deal as I’ve adjusted subconsciously to how I type over the years.
I guess I need some more time to get accustomed to type on LCT. I did not have this issue with MBP until I today tested it by intentionally resting my palm on the trackpad and it caused cursor jumping similar way. So obviously I normally type my notebooks in different fashion than my LCT. I’ve had LCT only under a week, so I need to play more with it and pay attention to my typing habit with it,

cp1160

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
I know this a an old thread, but for the posters worried about the materials and durability, could you give us a follow-up posting about what it is like 6+ months later?

Thanks!

Reactions: seajewel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.