Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I've been using the USB version of the extended keyboard since its release, I prefer having the numberpad for my tax sheets and some other number work. The USB model I have is starting to die now, a few keys have failed. I passed up the chance to get one BTO with my iMac, not thinking I would need to replace my wired one so soon.

$130 for a keyboard is quite steep though. $150 if I want the Space Gray, which I think matches better with the iMac. I never understood why they kept the keys white when the iMac when to silver/black. If I buy though, I want to make sure this thing will last as long as my original.

How does the typing experience compare to the old USB one? How stable and solid is the connection? For those that bought day 1, how is the battery holding up? I believe these can be used wired if you leave it plugged in, so once the battery fails I can still use it just like my old one.

jukkhop

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
Got my first Magic keyboard (white, extended) in 2017 shortly after it was released. Still use it every day. It is showing wear, the keys are not as easy to press in as they once were, and some keys have developed a slight squeaking noise. Doesn't bother me though.

The previous Wired version was built better, I think, but I still prefer the Magic keyboard with its shorter travel and more tactile feedback.

I also have the Space Gray version at work, the keys on it have slightly less resistance to them (even compared to a brand new white one), which makes it more pleasant to type on. Also I think it will age better due to not being white.

Cannot comment on the battery life, I almost always use them with the lightning cable. The connection is very good and latency is practically nothing.

DerKommissar

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
I'm still using my A1243 extended. I've had it so long I don't remember when I got it- I think maybe with a 2009 iMac? Never had any issues at all with it, and I'm surprised to see how much they still go for on eBay. Sad to hear the magic versions have not held up.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I've been thinking about this a little more, and I might be better suited just buying another A1243 online. If I can find one mint or even sealed, I might go for it. I had tried to buy a backup one a while ago, but when I got it many of the keys did not work, so I gave up on that.

I just can't stomach spending that kind of money on a keyboard.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I've been thinking about this a little more, and I might be better suited just buying another A1243 online. If I can find one mint or even sealed, I might go for it. I had tried to buy a backup one a while ago, but when I got it many of the keys did not work, so I gave up on that.

I just can't stomach spending that kind of money on a keyboard.

New ones aren't hard to find on eBay, either as service replacement parts, or NOS sealed retail boxes, sold by Apple parts dealers, though they go for ~$25-35 more than the original $50 price. Random ones are put up by private party sellers as well, but they attract bidding.

Two notes:

The ones in retail packaging include a somewhat infamous special extension cable with a notched USB connector keyed to prevent it from being used as a generic USB extension cable. Might be useful if being used with a Mac Pro on the floor but otherwise minor. The service part does not include the extension.

The MB110LL/A version has an F4 key pre-programmed to trigger the old Dashboard. The MB110LL/B has a LaunchPad key. The /A version won't trigger LaunchPad, though I guess it can be assigned to do so.

I almost ordered a new sealed retail unit from a seller that included a 90 day warranty, but came across a new one on craigslist instead for $25, so check there as well.

These keyboards have a following, but most people don't appreciate them, and just want to offload some old stuff.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I've used a space grey Magic Keyboard since they launched them as an option and I love it. The battery life is really long, under daily use it's a month or more before I have to remember to plug it in and charge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.