Magic lantern essential for t3i?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by salacious, Apr 22, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

so i bit the bullet and decided to use the ML firmware for the t3i, im getting to grips with it, but i wanted to know what peoples experiences were with using ML compared to Canons standard firmware?

im finding it a little bit daunting to use ML, the only thing that is attractive to me about it is the iso capabilities, the picture quality difference is amazing, also does anyone know why canon standard firmware doesnt allow different mutliples of iso range? i mean 100-200-400- is useless almost?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I imagine that only Canon would really be able to truly answer that question. But you also have to remember that though Canon DSLRs have video capability, they're primarily marketed to still photographers. As such, they're not going to devote a ton of time and resources tweaking the video aspect of their own firmware. Enhancements to still photo capabilities would take priority.

3. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats true but what doesnt make sense is why they wouldnt add 160 iso to photography? iv taken more pictures than videos on my cam, and its proven 160 iso is cleaner, my guess is they were forcing people to aim for higher models if they wanted the better iso range... what a bump

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

100, 200, and 400 are classic ISOs used commonly in film for decades. Each increases sensitivity by exactly one stop.

I don't understand what is to be gained by adding 160 ISO. Shoot at 100 and adjust your lighting or open up half a stop.

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

having ML now, I feel like I have a new camera for the better.
    I can't imagine not having it now.
    The focus assist is awesome.
    The iso stops are awesome.
    the crop marks for action movies... awesome.
    the zebra stripes... total crap.

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

Yeah... because even lower end cameras should have all the features of the higher level cameras. You're already getting the same sensor as as the 60D and 7D. What else do you want? :rolleyes:

7. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah but iso range should be standard if its on magic lantern why not have it as a standard feature? your not going to not buy a 5d mk3 because the 600d for example have the same iso range?

8. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Direct from the wiki:

Magic Lantern is being developed by both photo and video enthusiasts; its features include manual audio, zebras, focus assist tools, bracketing, motion detection and much more.

Basically none of these are available in the standard firmware.

9. WRP, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

That #1, is a ridiculous argument and #2, the exact opposite of the way it works.

#1 - So you think because some people, hacked the software of a consumer level camera that Canon makes not too much money on, the Canon developers should spend the time to rewrite the software to make you happy? You're buying AN ENTRY LEVEL DSLR THAT JUST SO HAPPENS TO SHOOT AMAZING HD VIDEO FOR ESSENTIALY PEANUTS.

#2 - Exactly the opposite. You don't understand business. They won't be poaching 5d3 customers for 600d customers. But they WILL get people to buy a 7D or something over the 600d. It's simple business. If I want and have the money for the V10 with leather, a 6-speed tranny and drops girls panties just by looking at it.... I'm not going to go for the v6 just because it has leather.

We're talking completely different markets. The ONLY reason I stepped up my camera was due to build quality. I was perfectly content with all the features.

But this is coming from someone who had to shell out over a $1K for their first Hi-8 with no ability to change lenses and the footage looked like crap. You people have no idea how easy you have it and all you do is moan and whine.

And just to reiterate my point... watch this.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe