Magic Media Marker - Automated Video Transcoding and Metadata tagging.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by McFunkerson, Jun 10, 2011.

1. McFunkerson macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm a developer with Funk-iSoft, and wanted to share our debut app with your guys, Magic Media Marker.

A while back I was looking for a solution to automatically transcode and tag movies and tv shows and didn't really find anything that matched my needs. I started with a series of folder actions, applescripts, and automator actions, which worked but were not portable and not easy to set up. Thats what lead me to develop Magic Media Marker.

Magic Media Marker is a completely automated solution for metadata discovery, downloading, and tagging. What's more is that it can pair up with HandBrake and automate the process of transcoding video files as well. It will watch a folder and automatically process video files and put them in iTunes so they are ready to stream to your AppleTV or sync with your iDevices. From start to finish your attention isn't needed at all.

So far reactions have been good to the app, but awareness is low right now and none of our current users have left reviews. I thought this would be a good place to not only promote the app but get some user feedback and field questions. Whether your a user or not, let me know what you think, or if it looks like something is missing.

You can get more information at our website:
    http://www.funk-isoft.com

App Store Link

2. McFunkerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Version 1.1 came out last night with some new features... Here is an update log:

New Features:
    - Option to Move original file to trash if converted
    - Option for Custom conversion settings
    - Option to change the color of the menu bar icon if Metadata isn't found.
    - Process Log in the Preferences Window
    - Set a rating for your TV Shows from 1 to 5 stars
    - Option to clear watched TV Shows out of iTunes if no rating has been applied
    - Option to turn off progress in menu bar to save space.
    - Link to FAQ Page in Preferences window for information about settings
    - Added to the naming convention list for TV Shows that MMM understands (1x01 for season/episode info).

Clean Up:
    - Cleaned up the preferences window
    - fixed a small memory leak
    - if TV Show episode name isn't found "TV Show S#E#" is now used instead of file name.
    - Renamed menu items to be more clear.
    - Watched folder no longer causes a crash if the folder specified can't be found.

We had a pretty good discussion going in the AppleTV forum about MMM but mods deleted it for advertising. I'm hoping some of the people that discovered the app from that, or this thread are around I can ask you guys to consider jumping back on the Mac App Store and leaving a review? It would be very much appreciated. I was enjoying the user feedback so please post any questions, thoughts, or concerns you guys have here as well! Thanks.

3. McFunkerson, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

McFunkerson thread starter macrumors newbie

4. McFunkerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Version 1.2 is now on the Mac App Store. It brings some minor updates, but v1.3 with new features is coming soon. Apple delayed me 3 weeks on the release of 1.2 needlessly so 1.3 is near ready.

WHAT'S NEW
    Version 1.2:
    Lion Ready & 64 Bit!

Changes for iTunes 10.4 (now required for artwork)

Welcome Screen

Minor Bug Fixes

If anyone uses the App I'd sure appreciate a review on the Mac App Store! Thanks.

5. McFunkerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Waited until V1.3.1 was out to announce because there was a bug in v1.3 that broke compatibility with Snow Leopard.

New in Version 1.3.1
    -fixed a bug the broke compatibility with Snow Leopard

New in Version 1.3
    - Choose between fast tags (via iTunes), or embedded tags
    - Add to iTunes now optional.
    - content rating & cast/crew for movies now supported
    - Magic Media Marker now pulls localised metadata based on the language/location settings of your computer.
    - No extra downloads needed for video converting.
    -Minor Bug Fixes.

6. McFunkerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Version 1.4.4 just hit the Mac App Store. We've been doing lots of updating so come by http://www.funk-isoft.com and check out whats new. Feel free to leave feed back here or in the Mac App Store!

7. McFunkerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Boy have we come a long way since v1.4.x

MMM v1.6 is now available in the Mac App Store. It has a whole new tagging engine which offers faster, more complete metadata tagging.Plus File size filters, 1080p support, and a bunch of other new goodies.

v2.0 is being worked on now as well which will add automated remuxing for .mkv files that contain h.264 video, better file sorting, and more.

8. pmcdunnough macrumors member

The idea is great but the program seems to want to transcode everything even if a file is mkv with h.264 video. Ideally you could have it watch a folder with subfolders ( each with one TV show) and have it remux files they arrived. In addition it should be able to keep the converted folder in the folder, move the original out or not and make sure it isn't duplicating stuff that is already in iTunes. If metadata is not found one should be able to set a default type. I think the program seems to want to move the converted file to the iTunes folder as opposed to just referencing it.

Anyway, great idea but it won't work for me. I am using the latest version.

philip