Magic Mice Jumping Around

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidchoi, May 12, 2011.

1. davidchoi macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    First off, yes yes it's been addressed before but I couldn't find a solution.
    My Magic mouse lags and jumps to random places in my screen. It's not that it jumps to the place I'm directing either, it can jump in the opposite direction or randomly.

I replaced the battery of my mice and keyboard. I have two magic mice and they BOTH have this issue. I tried using different surfaces and checked for anything on the sensor. They both worked perfectly fine but I recently moved and now they're having this issue...

My 27" i7 is completely up-to-date. I've restarted. Is there anything else I could try? I have a feeling it might be software.

Thanks in advanced.
  2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    have you tried doing a software update? Also, I would make sure there isn't anything around you that would cause interference (phones, microwave, etc). Move to a different part of where you are and see if it continues (or go outside on a nice day)
  3. davidchoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    Like I said, I'm up-to-date. I've tried moving around and there's nothing that would cause interference near the room. :/
  4. MACza macrumors member

May 10, 2011
    Using MDP to DVI connector?

Were you able to solve your issue?

I have the same problem, my mouse skipping/jumping.

It seems to be caused by my Mini Display Port to DVI adapter (believe it or not!). When I unplug the MDP plug from the Thunderbolt port on my 2011 iMac, the skipping/jumping stops.......

Apple!!!! what the heck??????
  5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Mar 18, 2006
    I've had this problem too - it was nothing to do with Apple/Software/batteries etc! I removed the battery cover and the battery and with the aid of a "puffer" (used to remove dust from camera lens etc) got rid of dust that had accumulated on the sensor lenses. Problem solved! :)
  6. MACza macrumors member

May 10, 2011
    I am sure there could be a few causes for this issue, but my issue shows up with the Magic Mouse and a brand new Logitech M505 that is a day old. Also definitely shows up while the MDB to DVI connecter is connected and vanishes when the MDP is removed from the iMac.