magic mouse, 1st or 2nd gen?

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If one has loads of AA rechargeable batteries and a rechargeable adapter (so he does not need to purchase), why would he choose to buy the latest generation Magic Mouse over the 1st generation version?
Does the 2nd gen have some special features that would make it more desirable to purchase over the 1st gen MMouse?

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
I suppose it depend would depend how much you travel.

The Magic Mouse 2 is a quick charge device and apparently a 2 minute charge will provide 9 hours of use. I doubt if the Magic Mouse 1 with rechargeable AAs can make that statement. So if your Magic Mouse 2 gives out, just take a quick break and when you return, you can work another 9 hours. Then fully recharge the Magic Mouse 2 overnight.

If you travel a lot, not having to schlepp AA batteries and a separate charger for them might be worth it.

Otherwise there appears to be no other difference based on a couple of reviews an Internet search engine pulled up for me.

My original Magic Mouse still works fine. I only use it on the road and I haven't done much lengthy travel with my Mac notebook computers in recent years (my phone and iPad are usually enough). This spring I may schlepp my MacBook Air on a couple of trips.

The Magic Trackpad is a different story but one for another day...

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks Erehy, i was wondering, apart from the battery think, aren't there any other differences in those two mouse generations?

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have 4 AA rechargeable batteries, with 2300mAh capacity (which is huge). Might there be some application for OSX that can monitor the time of a mouses usage? That would be very helpfull so i can see how long they will last in usage.

Isamilis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
I have both. Version 2 is more practical and comfort IMO due to you only need 1 cable to charge the mouse (and your other idevices as well).

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
I have 4 AA rechargeable batteries, with 2300mAh capacity (which is huge). Might there be some application for OSX that can monitor the time of a mouses usage? That would be very helpfull so i can see how long they will last in usage.
I have no idea nor do I care. I don't use my Magic Mouse 1 very frequently so the batteries seem to last for weeks.

If you plan heavy use of this peripheral which on the road, the Magic Mouse 2 would seem to be a more convenient device as you likely already have the cable to give it a 2-3 minute quick charge.

If you rarely use your device outside your house/work, then the AA-powered Magic Mouse 1 would be fine since it will take you all of 15 seconds to change the batteries with the spare pair.

Note that your Mac will alert you when your Bluetooth peripheral power is low, at least with my experience with the Magic Mouse 1, Magic Trackpad 1, and Magic Trackpad 2.

A more useful approach would be to measure the time from when you get the first power alert until the device conks out completely then extrapolate total run time based on your batteries' current actual capacity.

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
why would he choose to buy the latest generation Magic Mouse over the 1st generation version?
OK - don't like/use the Magic Mouse myself but I've supported people who use it and I've occasionally seen problems with the battery clips in the original version losing their mojo. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to use a Magic Mouse I'd go for the latest gen and just shake my head wistfully while it was lying on its back uselessly during charging.

I know waiting 2 minutes while it fast charges and remembering to plug it in for a full charge when you're done isn't exactly the labours of Hercules - but plugging my Logitech MX in and continuing to use it while it gets a full charge is just. better. and that's supposed to be Apple's job.

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Have had no problems with my MM2 and would recommend it. You are warned when the battery is low, and even at that point you get over an hour more usage in most cases. For me that's plenty enough time to take a break and allow some charge time. I use it less now that I have a Magic Trackpad as well - use the trackpad for general work and web browsing, and only use the MM2 for more precise control when using something like FCPX for instance.

xnsys

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2018
Personally, I prefer the 1 as if you run out of power a set of batteries will last you a couple of months.

I'm just surprised that apple didn't include a kinetic charging method with the 2, would make is last a lot longer.

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I'm just surprised that apple didn't include a kinetic charging method with the 2, would make is last a lot longer.
What is a kinetic charging method? Which mouse has that?

xnsys

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2018
Kinetic charging is where there is a device that can generate power based on movement - kind of like they had in some watches - won't be able to charge to 100% so would still need power to charge, but could give a 20% increase of battery life - plus give the ability if you shook it while in laptop bag, and travelling the ability to charge a little bit.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
What is a kinetic charging method? Which mouse has that?
Kinetic charging is power generated by movement. This is not a new concept.

Wristwatch movements started using this in the late 1940s, first in the form of "bumper" automatics (small pendulum inside watch). By the Fifties, rotor-based automatic movements were perfected. Of course back then, they were generating analog power (to wind the watch's main spring).

Later when wristwatches largely transitioned to electric quartz movements, various ways of recharging the watch emerged including solar and kinetic energy. I know Seiko released kinetic watches.

Kinetic charging has been used in automobiles as well, with mainstream use in regenerative braking starting with the Toyota Prius (in the Nineties) and other gas-electric hybrid vehicles. Most today's electric cars (as well as electric bikes and scooters) have some sort of regenerative braking to help charge the batteries.

In fact, your car's alternator does the same thing: convert kinetic energy from the internal combustion engine back into electricity to recharge the car battery. So the basic technology is quite old, over a century. Same basic concept as hydroelectric power, geothermal power, wind power, and more.

Which mouse has that?
None to my knowledge.

Standalone kinetic chargers have been on the market for a while.

Last edited:

xnsys

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2018
Not yet - but wouldn't it be great to see it starting to find its way into devices? Laptops could charge while you walk, keyboards could charge with key-strokes and mice could charge with movement - just that one step further on the renewable energy path...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have both... The MM2 besides never needing batteries, just works better on my system. There is a newer BT radio in the MM2 and in my case it works much better with BTLE installed in my cMP.

The MM1 seems laggy at times depending on usage, the MM2 is a much better device in MY OPINION.

retta283

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I would not buy a MM2 on its own. I have one that came with my 2019 iMac, but I don't use it. The reason I would not buy it is that the battery is not replaceable, and unlike the Magic Keyboard/Trackapd you cannot use it wired once the battery fails. I have mice that are over 20 years old and still work fine, and I would never buy one I know has a limited lifespan regardless of how much care I take.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Arnhem
I may have thrown my MM1s up the wall more then once out of frustration... The darn things kept disconnecting every time the batteries moved a 100th of a millimeter. The MM2s don't have that problem and a quick ten minute charge gives you more than a month usage.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My MM2 is years old now. It works great. If the battery gives out in the next few years it was a great investment. Batteries going bad in the MM2 is TOTALLY a non-issue.

ptimickey59

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
France, Valenciennes
Hi.

got the MM2 since more than 1 year. Never experienced the MM1 but what I can confirm so far , my MM2 need 3 hours of charging then hold on batterie during 3 or 4 months. I confess, I use my Mac book air on a home using, not a pro use. There are someday I don't use it at all. So for my POV battery integrated is just perfect , I hate the AA, you always run out of AA bat when need it....I said upper, I you run out to batt, take a pause of 10 minutes. put the MM2 in charge and work again. :)