Magic Mouse: 2 finger swiping is uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pagemakers, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Just had a play with the new mouse in my local apple store.

The 2 finger swiping is clumsy and uncomfortable unless you have completely dry hands and even then it does not feel as simple as using the ball on the previous mouse.

Hmm, just may hold off buying one.

2. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

Why would your hands be wet in the first place?

Wait...don't answer that!! :eek:

I'm going to stop by my local Apple Store tomorrow to check it out. If they have them in stock (which I doubt they will until after 10.6.2 is released), I will more than likely buy one.

3. dborja macrumors 6502a

I placed my order yesterday. I like the idea of gestures instead of mechanical scrollwheels and 100 buttons to memorize. Gestures are more natural. IMHO, just like any new technology, it feels clumsy at first but will become a godsend after unlearning the controls of traditional mice. I'm currently using an MX Revolution so I do have a fallback if it doesn't work out. Next week, I'm selling either the MX Revolution or the Magic Mouse in the Marketplace. :)

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Where are you located? Phoenix Apple stores have said they won't get them for about a week.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Perhaps he's not in Phoenix?

Either way, I want one, I'll buy one, and return it if it sucks.

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It's going to be hard for Apple to convince me to drop the MXR, something tells me that no gesture can replace a heavy smoothscroll wheel.

7. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Don't think so either. Apple has constantly tried to reinvent the mouse, sometimes with disastrous results. :rolleyes:

8. dborja macrumors 6502a

Apple has had its share of miscues but also has come back with game-changing technology implementations. I'd refrain from passing judgement until proof is available. I'm looking forward to getting mine so that I can make up my own mind on whether it's a keeper...:):)

9. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I'm a "try before you buy" kind of guy (rhyme intended). I might even have to bring in the MX and test the side by side :D

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

They do come with the new iMacs. Maybe the OP was trying out a new iMac at his/her local Apple Store. Won't mean the standalone mice are available though, but you could still try it out.

11. dborja macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. Please let us know what you think after trying it out. And I hope you do bring your MXR for comparison. As I said, I am using one right now on my iMac so I can fall back on it if the MM does not pan out...

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He's in the UK.

13. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I’m in the UK and these mice have been on display since yesterday afternoon in the Manchester apple store.

What I found is unlike a traditional mouse that you don’t need to hold the mouse still to use the ball or scroll wheel. On the Magic mouse you have to use your little finger and thumb to steady the mouse then use your other 2 fingers to swipe. It feel clumsy. They should have used 1 finger for back/forwards buttons and this gesture will be used more than horizontal scrolling. If they did this or if somebody bought out a hack…problem gone.

As a test if you have a mightily mouse, imagine the ball is not there and try 2 fingered swiping and you will see what I mean.

Regarding my earlier comment about dry hands…..If you have any kind of sweat on your fingers they tend to stick to the mouse making the swipe even more uncomfortable.

For me the ball is much easier to us. Of course, it’s not as attractive though!

14. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Look forward to your Magic keeper feedback! :D

15. flanamac macrumors 6502

16. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

After trying one out just now I have to say I'm impressed. I have a mighty mouse, razor & mxr and the magic blows them away. The surface feels like an iPhone screen so I would say with use it'll only get better. @ the op I didn't have an issue with two finger gestures.

Tbh though I was hoping for a 6 by 4 trackpad matching my alu wireless keyboard but oh well.

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Sometimes?

I already refer to this as "Tragic Mouse" ....

I really cannot work without four buttons or more as it is. To think they still have the audacity to think that holding a key on the keyboard and use the mouse at the same time is better.

First thing I tell all my new to Mac friends is, box the mouse. Go logitech or Microsoft.

I have a gesture for this new mouse...

19. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I just got back from the Apple Store and they had the Magic Mouse on display with the new iMac. I actually liked the feel of the new mouse, the two finger swipe felt natural, as well as the one finger scroll. I have pretty big hand and I still like it. I'm 100% sure not everyone will like the mouse, you have to try it out for yourself.

20. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Interesting. I tried mimicking two finger swiping on a mouse here at work and it seems like it would be ok -- that I wouldn't have to steady the mouse. But I guess the magic mouse slides more easily. When I try holding the mouse steady, then yeah, it is uncomfortable. I would never do that in normal usage.

Well, I preordered one already anyway.

I have no idea why I keep buying these Apple mice.
    I kind of hate them all, but I keep thinking -- this time, Apple's got it right.
    Seems like no one makes great lefty mice, though. At least Apple's are mostly ambidextrous.

21. dborja macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback! Mine hasn't shipped yet and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

22. -SD- macrumors 6502

I had a play with the Magic in my local KRCS store today. I have to agree that two finger scrolling is indeed uncomfortable, but I'll hardly use that so I'm not too bothered. The actual mouse itself is very comfortable to use and single finger 360* scrolling is absolutely awesome. I just hope that Apple or a 3rd party enables a two fingered click as middle click.

Can't wait until they actually have them in stock to buy. The KRCS had a new 27" iMac on display too and it really is a sight to behold; absolutely stunning.

:apple:

23. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

Magic Mouse - Its just Cool

Just got back from the Apple store in Columbia, MD. Third trip this week. Finally got to see the 27" screen and play with the magic mouse. The screen is beautiful. Even with all of the bright overhead lighting, looking at photos were fine. The glare did not bother me. When the i7 arrives it will be in my iCave where there is no glare. The magic mouse is just cool:cool: It took maybe 20 seconds to get used to it. It still clicks when you press on it just like the mighty mouse. Scrolling is real easy whether using 1 or 2 finger swipes. Scrolling back and forth between web pages using the 2 finger swipe without having to move the cursor was very pleasant. Zooming using the ctl key was simple.

When I first bought the mighty mouse, almost 3 years ago, the forums were full of people complaining about it. I'm starting to hear the same thing about the magic mouse. I replaced a Logitech VX revolution with the mighty mouse. The VX was relegated to my desktop PC. I've never had any problems with the mighty mouse. My new i7 will have the new mouse. I would have bought the magic mouse today for my MBP but the sales folks did not know when they would get any in the store for sale. They said to buy online. I can wait.

24. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Logitech MX Revolution - had two of these, and they are a MASSIVE fail!. The driver software is buggy, and Logitech are not particularly interested in Mac users; fact, if you go to Logitech forums and see for yourselves. The software used to randomly change my wheel scrolling mode from click-by-click to free-wheeling mode... how is that useful?.

When you call Logitech and ask for a replacement, they have the rather bizarre request that you smash up your product with a hammer (yes, actually true) and photograph the smashed up product & serial number, to validate the dispatch of a new, replacement product. They also took SIX WEEKS to send me a new mouse!.

If you prefer ugly mice with sports-car-like visual noise, and horribly vulgar chrome bits here and there, and a scroll wheel which has a rubber grip which stretches (and sometimes falls off the die cast wheel) then great.

Apple Magic mouse is light years ahead - moving parts are the past.

25. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have a feeling, it will take some time for most to get used to using the mouse but hopefully it will prove a winner in the long run. I hated the mighty mouse at first and wanted a "real" mouse so I bought a very nice Razor mouse. But then decided to give the MM another try and got to really love it--and I was able to keep that silly ball pretty clean--and it lasted over 18 months but finally the scroll would not scroll. So I ordered a new one and in the meantime, went back to the Razor. Well when the MM came, I found that I had already got so used to the Razor, I didn't want to go back. But if the Magic Mouse is indeed a good design, it should be worth the effort to get used to it--even if it takes a bit of time.