Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
I can't get it to connect, windows finds it but it just says connecting to device. I'm really annoyed with this thing, I know the multi touch stuff wont work but if it doesnt connect to windows as a basic mouse im returning it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Return it because right now it is too new of a mouse and I would venture to guess Windows needs at least some kind of driver to run it. It's a mouse for a Mac, windows has a ton of mice that barely function under OS X. I realize it won't even connect but there could be a reason for that.

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
Return it because right now it is too new of a mouse and I would venture to guess Windows needs at least some kind of driver to run it. It's a mouse for a Mac, windows has a ton of mice that barely function under OS X. I realize it won't even connect but there could be a reason for that.

I dont really want to return it though because i really like it. Does the mighty mouse work with windows and did the wireless one not work straight away with windows?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've got it running on Win7, but as mentioned before the touch sensors don't work, only the mouse itself and the left/right click buttons.

I really like it though, and will probably just put it on a shelf until Apple comes out with the drivers. I bet they have it ready for the bootcamp update they promised before the end of the year.

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
I've got it running on Win7, but as mentioned before the touch sensors don't work, only the mouse itself and the left/right click buttons.

I really like it though, and will probably just put it on a shelf until Apple comes out with the drivers. I bet they have it ready for the bootcamp update they promised before the end of the year.

how long did it take to connect? How did you connect the mouse? Seems a bit complicated, you know, unlike on a mac.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
how long did it take to connect? How did you connect the mouse? Seems a bit complicated, you know, unlike on a mac.

I actually went thru less steps than that url. I do have bootcamp 2.1 installed, I haven't installed any extra drivers over bootcamp, that's the ONLY thing I've installed except for my video drivers.

I right clicked bluetooth icon in the windows taskbar and said add device. In about 2 seconds the mouse came up, I clicked on it. It asked for a passcode, I entered 0000, clicked next, then about 20-30 seconds later it was hooked up and ready to go.

Once again the tracking features don't work, but everything else works. With my old mighty mouse EVERYTHING worked, including the squeeze buttons. I'm hoping Apple doesn't ostracize 90% of the market by making the magic mouse Mac only, but I highly doubt this will be the case and I'm confident they will release the proper drivers with a bootcamp update before the end of the year.

cleopete

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
It's not Apple's fault, at least I don't think so. I've been using Win 7 since the first beta, and while I think it may be the best thing the M$ idgits have come up with yet, the bluetooth support has been pretty crappy. Sometimes a device will connect easily on the first try, but usually I've had to spend a lot of time dinking around with it before it takes. This has been the case with a wide range of devices and computers (I repair comps for a living). Three days ago I tested out my sister's Magic Mouse on my MBP and it connected immediately to both OSX and Win7 (haven't tried Ubuntu yet).

Yesterday I bought one. Worked great with 10.6.2, Win 7 just says "connecting" for-freakin'-ever, which is how I came to this thread. In the midst of the annoying forum-registration ritual, I got it working. I think what did it was turning the mouse on first, then adding the device (or maybe the other way around- I've already forgotten).

So all is well now, just waiting for a Windows version of Magic Prefs!

JaKXz

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
well, bootcamp 3.1 has been released... a year later... and Windows still can't fully connect to my magic mouse. I have the exact same problem: windows finds it and then the spinning thing just sits there.

Anybody have a solution? please?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Bootcamp 3.1 includes the right drivers including multitouch so you are having a different problem. A solution I'm seeing around he web is to uninstall 3rd party Bluetooth stack and install Microsoft generic Bluetooth stack.

macfixx

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
From this thread, there's an simple solution that worked instantly for me. First step was to remove the Magic Mouse from the Mac OS to free it up for Windows 7.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2305780&tstart=0

Re: Magic Mouse still not connecting on Bootcamp 3.1 with Windows 7
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 6:58 AM in response to: machead08

Amazingly it worked! It seems you have to pair it with Windows 7 first, then with Mac OS, in order to work on both OS. Thanks machead08. Someone at Apple should take a look at this, cause it's an annoying issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.