Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheKomputerGeek, Aug 22, 2010.

1. TheKomputerGeek macrumors newbie

I bought my iMac before these two were bundled into mac sales, and the wires from the normal keyboard and mighty mouse are starting to bug me after a year.... Is it worth shelling out $140 for the two of these (well, $170 counting the battery charger), or should I just live with the wires. And, is the Magic Mouse even worth it?

2. greenmountain macrumors newbie

I've used a wireless mouse for several years and would never want a wired one again if I could avoid it (full disclosure: this is partly because I'm left-handed and the wired Apple mouse has a frustratingly short cord that connects only into the right side of the keyboard). As for the magic mouse specifically, I really like it, especially the scrolling function (though I find that the 3-finger swipe is a bit hit-or-miss).

The wireless keyboard that came with my iMac took a bit of getting used to, but now that I'm accustomed to it I really like.

As an extra expense? I'd say magic mouse: definitely. Wireless keyboard: coin flip.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the battery charger. I find that I get 6-8 weeks of use out of my mouse batteries and four months in I still have not had to change the batteries in the keyboard.

3. TheKomputerGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice...

One more thing... would you prefer the magic mouse or the magic trackpad? I was considering it, but I decided that I was too used to the mouse.

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

its personal preference, no one can really help you with that, although you seem to have made your decision already :p

However I should add that if you had a new Macbook with the new touchpad and were used to that, you would probably find a regular mouse limiting. At least I do.

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Ever wondered why any Apple keyboard the last xx years had ADB/USB sockets on both sides?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. greenmountain macrumors newbie

To: Giuly

True. But some of us have to share keyboards with right-handed relatives (I'm the only lefty in my family)! Moving a wireless mouse back and forth is a lot easier.

To answer the OP's query... sorry, I haven't had a chance to play around with the magic trackpad yet, though it looks interesting.

7. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I spent the money to get the wireless keyboard and magic mouse. I wish it would have been included but since I purchased iMac in July '09, it did not. I am pleased with its performance nonetheless. I would say get the charger also. What are the batteries supposed to last 10 years? How many sets of batteries would you throw away in that time frame? Also the reduction in electricity draw from the charger sounds like a wonderful idea. I run around unplugging everything I can when they are not being used. I have noticed a drop in electricity use. Of course some of it came from getting rid of an old PC tower and monitor and getting the iMac.:apple:

8. nutritious macrumors 6502

I've used the magic mouse, and I think it's a POS. Apple will never learn how to design mice. It's unergonomic and the tracking sensor in it sucks.

9. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

personally, if you are going to geta wireless, mouse, unless you are deadset on the magic mouse, i would look at some of the offerings from logitech. the keyboard is fine but fora 140- 170 total budget for both a keyboard and a mouse, some of the logitech bundles fare a lot better.

10. Spiffy9 macrumors newbie

If you're not in any rush I would use CraigsList. I got a Magic Mouse for $30 and a keyboard for $35 and they both work perfectly. You just have to be able to negotiate the price down. It takes time but in the long run it's definitely worth it in my opinion

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    YES, I love them both, as well as the Magic Track Pad;)

12. mlblacy macrumors 6502

really?

actually IMO the magic mouse is probably Apple's best mouse to date, and I have had them ALL over the years. Excepting the dreaded hockey puck, Apple's products usually are a lot more ergonomic than others. it is a HUGE improvement over the previous generation, Mighty Mouse. POS? Really? The multi-touch surface is a big improvement over the little scrolly ball, which always needed cleaning over time.

It does chew through batteries, so do yourself a favor and either buy some Eneloops, or the Apple rechargables (which are likely rebranded Eneloops). The batteries are not like any other rechargables in that they do not discharge over time when idle. Also, they seem to last a lot longer than my previous rechargables, which after about a year would steadily hold less and less of a charge. Mine are two years old, and they seem to last as long as when I first started using them.

The new keyboards are also Apple's best to date (IMO). My only gripe is that you can't get an extended wireless version like before. The wired keyboard is less of a hassle than a wired mouse is, but still I liked it when both were wireless.
    cheers,
    michael

13. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I use the wired keyboard, because I input a lot of number based data into spreadsheets at work, and the wireless doesn't have a number pad. I also use the magic mouse, and I love it.

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I had both the trackpad and the magic mouse , and I sold my MagicMouse. The trackpad is that much better, for me.